Those Dreadful Children

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Comerscroft

Those Dreadful Children

Post by Comerscroft »

I think this has to be my favourite Blyton 'family' story. It so reminds me of when I was brought up in Edinburgh in the late 1950s and 'what the neighbours think' was vitally important

I can relate to the Carltons with the way in which we were expected to behave, and also the security/cosiness of 'Mother' and 'Daddy' in the background. Although Mrs Carlton does fuss rather, her heart is in the right place, and the children are kind, pleasant and hard-working.

The Taggertys are also lovely in that Mrs T is kind and caring although not strong, so that the children are allowed to run wild, but when things go wrong and Mrs T is in hospital, the children change and become much less selfish. They are certainly a refreshing addition to the staid neighbourhood.

I love the way Mrs Carlton helps out the Taggertys ---'her calm kindness'--and the ending, when Mr Taggerty brings his wife home to the waiting children, is a real tearjerker!
Fifibee

Post by Fifibee »

I have just recently read this book as I am going through all my Enid Blytons after coming home from hospital. I really enjoyed it too and it was interesting to see both sides of the story of why the children behaved as they did. Another one I have read recently is 'The Six Bad Boys" where once again you could see why the children behaved as they did and it was quite sad in places too. Enid Blyton had a note for the reader at the start of the story of how she got "one of the finest magistrates of the court - Basil Henriques who deals with delinquent children" to read through the book to see if she had made any mistakes. She had also watched him at court dealing with these children. I am now reading this book to my daughter at bedtime and she can't wait for the next chapter!

Fifi Bee
Susie

Post by Susie »

I really enjoyed, those dreadful children too. Brought a new light on how the people lived in those times, and made me think, that i know a lady like that lady next door.
There is always something else new to learn.
Nair Snehalatha

Re: Those Dreadful Children

Post by Nair Snehalatha »

A lovely read-- those dreadful children
MJE
Favourite book/series: Famous Five series
Favourite character: George; Julian; Barney

Post by MJE »

Actually, it is a bit ambiguous as to which set of children are the titular "dreadful children". Each set thought the others were!

Regards, Michael.
Society Member
Debbie
Favourite book/series: Adventure Series
Favourite character: Anne

Post by Debbie »

I think that's the cleverness of the story. As a reader you can see that each family has their issues when you get closer, although one is more obvious than the other initially.
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Yes, I agree, Debbie. I have always thought it a clever title.
Society Member
GloomyGraham

Post by GloomyGraham »

This is one of the Blyton books I can read over and over again.

I love many of the standalone titles (which I often think of as 'the house books') like 'Red-Roofs', 'Green Meadows', 'House At The Corner' etc.
Nair Snehalatha

Post by Nair Snehalatha »

Just finished reading-- Those dreadful children-- Both the mothers are very good in different ways-- Children learnt a lot from each other-- Bridget , the mother's help was very loving and caring too-- when mrs Taggerty was in hospital. A lovely story