What is Uncle Quentin Working On?

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Re: What is Uncle Quentin Working On?

Post by pete9012S »

Do the Famous Five Short Stories throw any extra info about the nature of Quentin's work into the ring?
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I'm afraid I don't remember the short stories very well (I haven't read them for ages) but I must admit I thought of Quentin's experiments concerning energy yesterday, on hearing the news that scientists had succeeded for the first time in producing more energy from a nuclear fusion experiment than was put in.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
dsr

Post by dsr »

I solved the cheap power problem in a dream a year or two ago. Some schoolboy physicist in his Dad's garage came up with a simple device, consisting of two atoms and one of the atoms was an electron short. Or else there was an extra electron. Either way, the number of electrons was out by 1.

When these two atoms were wrapped in tinfoil, the spare electron would jump from one atom to the other repeatedly, ad infinitum, generating power as it did it. For convenience, the bit of tinfoil was attached to one of those 9V rectangular batteries. In testing, the battery was able to provide unlimited power for a car, and was able to power an entire factory.

Another detail was that it produced exactly the right amount of power needed. There was no need to power it up or down; if an extra machine was switched on, the battery upped its output accordingly.

I have no idea how I managed to have (or remember) such a detailed dream or how it all made such logical sense! Maybe Uncle Quentin passed the information on to me in a dream!
DSR
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Wolfgang »

The only problem is, your device violates thermodynamics; you can't create energy out of nothing. It requires energy to remove the electron from one atom, and if the attracting force of the other atom is greater, the atom that once have it can't remove it from the other one.
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
Debbie
Favourite book/series: Adventure Series
Favourite character: Anne

Post by Debbie »

Wolfgang wrote: 18 Dec 2022, 07:22 The only problem is, your device violates thermodynamics; you can't create energy out of nothing. It requires energy to remove the electron from one atom, and if the attracting force of the other atom is greater, the atom that once have it can't remove it from the other one.
Energy cannot be created or destroyed but can be transformed from one form of energy to another form of energy.

We had to learn that in year 7 Physics.
Boatbuilder
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Famous 5, Secret Seven, Five Findouters

Post by Boatbuilder »

Debbie, Wolfgang and dsr, maybe you should team up and who knows, you might just come up with the ideal solution to all our energy problems - possibly with a little help from Quentin. It's almost 60 years since I got my GCE in Physics so I probably won't be able to join you as no doubt I have forgotten most of it by now. ;) :D
"You can't change history as that won't change the future"

John's Pictures of Suffolk - https://suffolk-world.com/

Society Member