Five on a Hike Together

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Maggie Knows

Five on a Hike Together

Post by Maggie Knows »

This has always been one of my two favourite stories, along with Smugglers Top. It also features very strongly whenever lists are put together of reader's favourites, so I know I am not alone in ranking this story very highly....

It has an unusual start, in that the action takes place over a weekend during term time. The children have to be back on Tuesday, so there is limited time to solve the mystery. This time dimension is unusual in a Five story, and it serves to provide some additional tension and excitement as the plot unfolds.

I love the chapters when the hike starts. There are very nice descriptions of the countryside and some enticing place-names too. It's the only adventure I can think of that takes place in the Autumn: mostly we get Spring or (mainly) summertime adventures, with two in wintertime, but here we are treated to descriptions of woodlands and countryside in brown and golden colours. It makes a nice change.

The nicely paced and well described start also reminds me a bit of Caravan, where we get a couple of carefree chapters on the road before the adventure kicks in.

The part where Anne and Dick have their adventure at Dirty Dick's cottage is great. There aren't too many scenes where the kids split up and have mini-adventures on their own: I wonder why ? (it was a constant device in the Scooby Doo cartoons I watched as a kid...). I especially love the scene where Anne and Dick are frightened by the bells ('are we hearing long-ago bells Dick ?"' - a really great use of language.

Then the clues from the escaped convict, including the immortal "Maggie Knows" :lol:

In some ways this is Julian's adventure. He really comes into his own in this adventure: such as the spur of the moment decision to camp out at Two Trees, not even consulting the others. He continues to take a commanding lead throughout, and his character develops strongly here. In previous adventures the principal character is usually George, but from now on the adventures revolve much more around Julian, and George becomes more subordinated. A bit sad in a way: one of the reasons why the later adventures aren't usually as strong as those before this book.

I mentioned before that Eileen Soper doesn't cover herself in glory in her illustrations for this book: several of the drawings have various mistakes in them...

If this was a whisky review I'd say:

1) excellent arrival
2) wonderful development
3) slightly disappointing finish.

by the latter I mean that its one of those adventures where the thing gets wrapped up too quickly and easily. They work out the clues (at last, they're a bit slow on the uptake TBH) and go fishing for treasure and after a perfunctory chase the adventure is over.

Given that, I am now of the view that Fall into Adventure is actually the stronger story, and maybe Trouble is too. The ninth book just has more twists and turns, its a much more complex and ultimately satisfying plot. Maggie and Dick just aren't enough of a threat I now realise.

So, though I enjoyed the re-read, especially the first half, ultimately the book has fallen in my rankings. It's still a top-5 story for me, but 4,9, and 8 I think are better...

OK, now on to number 11, which I think is the first real clunker in the series...
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Re: Five on a Hike Together

Post by Daisy »

That's a great review Maggie, but come on let's hear what you have observed about the illustrations! I can guess one or two but would like to know yours.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Danger Bird
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George Kirrin

Post by Danger Bird »

No. 11 a clunker? Surely you jest?

It's another classic!
Danger bird, he flies alone and he rides the wind back to his home
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Yes, Wonderful Time is one of my favourites - a strong story with a marvellous cast!

Still, a great post about another of my favourites, Hike, Maggie Knows. I do agree though, a wrap-it-up-quick finish, which is prevalent in many of Enid's books.

Incidentally, although I have English(UK) spell-check enabled, why does it want me to use American spellings?
Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

A good right up on Hike, Maggie Knows. I love Hike, it's so atmospheric. I must take a look at the pictures though in my hard backed book!

Quite agree with Fall into Adventure and Trouble and Wonderful Time. Great books really high up in the ratings for me. :)

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Moonraker wrote:
Incidentally, although I have English(UK) spell-check enabled, why does it want me to use American spellings?

Well maybe it wants you to have a 'wunnerfull' time! :D
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Julie2owlsdene wrote:A good right up on Hike
A great illustration of the failings of spell-check! :D
Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

It's what is known as creative spelling, Nigel! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I also enjoyed reading your post, Maggie. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

I always rated "hike" very highly, especially the part where Anne and Dick are on their own. I can understand why it is one of the more popular Famous Five stories. A great review, Maggie.
Society Member
Carlotta King
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Barney, Secret Series, Famous Five
Favourite character: Bill Smugs,Lucy-Ann,Snubby,Mr King,Diana,Kiki,Paul

Post by Carlotta King »

It's one of my favourite FF's too.
There was something so thrilling about them going out at night to dive down and get the loot!
And the setting of Two Trees and Gloomy Water was wonderful.
"Fussy Gussy! Polly, Polly, Polly-gize!"

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Moonraker wrote:

A senior moment on my behalf, Nigel. That will teach me to read what I've written properly! :lol:

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Maggie Knows

Post by Maggie Knows »

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

I had intended to include a further point. Wouldn't it have been nice if we could have had an illustration of the page of clues Dick was given through the window. A bit like the picture of the fragment of parchment with the Latin words etc. they found in the pouch hidden in the secret panel in the second adventure.

The errors in the drawings - apart from the oft-discussed mis-naming of the villains' rowboat - concerns the positioning of the people on the two craft. I'll explain more if need be later - I don't want to spoil it for anyone who wants to check it out for themselves...
Maggie Knows

Post by Maggie Knows »

Danger Bird wrote:No. 11 a clunker? Surely you jest?

It's another classic!
Sorry, I wouldn't ordinarily wish to disagree with a fellow Neil Young fan :) , but - like in Billycock Hill - the idea of hiding kidnap victims in tourist attractions just seems a bit too daft... :lol:
Danger Bird
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George Kirrin

Post by Danger Bird »

Never really thought about that. I guess it is a bit of a silly but I think you need to suspend your disbelief when re-reading childhood favourites.
Danger bird, he flies alone and he rides the wind back to his home
floragord
Favourite book/series: THE FARAWAY TREE SERIES
Favourite character: Silky

Post by floragord »

Julie2owlsdene wrote:
Moonraker wrote:

A senior moment on my behalf, Nigel. That will teach me to read what I've written properly! :lol:

8)
If you write in colour Julie :D any typos stand out distinctly!! :wink:
"Its a magic wood!" said Fanny suddenly.