Mystery of the Secret Room...why is it rather unpopular?

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Poppy
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Adventure Series/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Andy, Jack Trent & Diana.

Re: Mystery of the Secret Room...why is it rather unpopular?

Post by Poppy »

Yes, it is always good to read about something unusual, as you say, Katharine, but, personally I prefer stories which I think are possible to happen (ie: Famous Five/Secret Seven/Find-Outers/Barney Mysteries/Six Cousins) Although I do dearly love fantasy, I do like to think what I read could actually happen, it somehow makes it feel even more thrilling than reading something that couldn't happen. It usually depends on what mood I'm in, but generally I prefer to read this genre.
"Beware of young men with long hair - that's what dad says, isn't it?"
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
Nair Snehalatha

Post by Nair Snehalatha »

Hi Chrissie--The Find Outers are among my greatest favourites.Fatty,Larry ,Daisy, Pip, Bets and Buster, Fatty's dog loved by all the children.--except Mr Goon of course.''The Mystery Of The Secret Room'' is one of my favourites.I don't know how many times I have read it. So is 'Hidden House'' Missing Man'' Strange Messages.I love them all.
Nair Snehalatha

Regarding what Katherine said about right thinking mothers not letting their children go off with a total stranger as ''t ahe Saucepan Man '' in ''The enchanted wood''--the mother must have had great trust in her children,--they won't do anything that will cause them harm.And Enid Blyton's stories are so 'sunshiny'--there are no black clouds anywhere.That's the greatest charm of Blyton.
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Post by Chrissie777 »

Nair Snehalatha wrote:Hi Chrissie--The Find Outers are among my greatest favourites.Fatty,Larry ,Daisy, Pip, Bets and Buster, Fatty's dog loved by all the children.--except Mr Goon of course.''The Mystery Of The Secret Room'' is one of my favourites.I don't know how many times I have read it. So is 'Hidden House'' Missing Man'' Strange Messages.I love them all.
Hi Nair,

I love "Secret Room", "Hidden House" and "Tally-Ho Cottage" best. They have so much atmosphere.
On the one hand I feel bad for Ern, because the FFO don't treat him like one of their own in the beginning. But then there are such funny scenes that I can't help laughing out loud. And Ern's poetry is unbeatable, especially after Fatty's successful attempts to turn them into better poems.

However, from a suspense level I prefer the "Adventure", "Famous Five", "Adventurous Four" and "Barney & Miranda" series, but the FFO & Dog books have lots of charm and some are outright silly which I enjoy :). I think "Missing Man" is hilarious with Fatty starting jogging to avoid the daughter of the scientist who loves insects, beetles etc.
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
Nair Snehalatha

The Find Outers first meet Ern in ''Hidden House''---They actually go to meet Fatty ,who they think will be in disguise--They spot Ern getting off the train and he's Fatty in one of his disguises.Ern's ''pomes'' as he calls them are all completed by Fatty.One poem which Fatty wrote in Ern's notebook when Ern left behind his note book got poor ,old Ern into serious trouble with his uncle--Mr. Goon.It was ''To My Dear Uncle''---a very hilarious poem.
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Post by Chrissie777 »

Nair Snehalatha wrote:.One poem which Fatty wrote in Ern's notebook when Ern left behind his note book got poor ,old Ern into serious trouble with his uncle--Mr. Goon.It was ''To My Dear Uncle''---a very hilarious poem.
Yes, I remember that one :) :) :).
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
Nair Snehalatha

There is something I'd like to ask -- In The Mystery of the secret room-- Fatty gets caught while he mistakenly dozes off in the secret room-- He was disguised as a French boy. Why did he have to reveal to his captors about his friends , and how they loved solving mysteries.? He could have said he was a tramp seeking shelter-- perhaps they would have let him go-- he could have saved himself the beating he got from those men--- and yet he could have gone ahead and solved the mystery : :? :? :? :? :
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Here is the section being referred to.I think Fatty woke up,surprised and frightened.
What do you think? Did he do the right thing? What would you have done??
Fatty slept soundly. His adventure had tired him. The couch was extremely comfortable, and although there was no warmth in the room, the rugs were thick and cosy. Fatty lay there dreaming of the time when he would be an even more important detective than the famous Sherlock Holmes.
He did not hear the sound of a car about half-past four in the early morning. The wheels slid silently over the snow, and came to a stop outside Milton House.
Fatty did not hear people walking up the drive. Nor did he hear a latch-key being put into the lock of the front door. He heard no voices, no footsteps, but the old empty house suddenly echoed to them.
Fatty slept on peacefully. He was warm and comfortable. He did not even wake up when some one opened the door of the secret room and came in.
Nobody saw him at first. A man crossed to the window and carefully drew the thick curtains across before switching on the light. Not a crack of light could be seen from outside once the window curtains were drawn.
Another man came into the room - and he gave a cry of surprise. “Look here!”
He pointed to the couch, where Fatty still slept as peacefully as Goldilocks had slept in the Little Bear’s bed long ago!
The two men stared in the utmost astonishment at Fatty. His curly wig of black hair, his big black eyebrows, and the awful teeth made him a peculiar sight.
“Who is he? And what’s he doing here?”said one of the men, amazed and angry. He shook Fatty roughly by the shoulder.
The boy woke up and opened his eyes under the shaggy eyebrows. In a trice he knew where he was, and realized that he had fallen asleep in the secret room - and now he was caught! A little shiver of fear went down his back. The men did not look either friendly or pleased.
“What are you doing here?”said the bigger fellow of the two, a ruddy-faced man with eyes that stuck out like Mr. Goon’s, and a short black beard. The other man was short, and had a round white face with black button-eyes and the thinnest lips Fatty had ever seen.
The boy sat up and stared at the two men. He really didn’t know what to say.
“Haven’t you a tongue in your head?”demanded the red-faced man. “What are you doing on our premises?”
Fatty decided to pretend he was French again.
“Je ne comprends pas,”he said, meaning that he didn’t understand.
But unfortunately one of the men spoke French and he rattled off a long and most alarming sentence in French, which Fatty couldn’t understand at all.
Fatty then decided he wouldn’t be French; he would speak the nonsense language that he and the others sometimes spoke together when they wanted to mystify any one.
“Tibbletooky-fickle-farmery-toppy-swick,”he said quite solemnly.
The men looked puzzled. “What language is that?”said the red-faced man to his companion. He shook his head.
“Speak French,”he commanded Fatty.
“Spikky-tarly-yondle-fitty-toomar,”answered Fatty at once.
“Never heard a language like that before,”said the red-faced man. “The boy looks foreign enough. Wonder where he comes from. We’ll have to find out how he got here.”He turned to Fatty again, and addressed him first in English and then in French, then in German, and then in a fourth language Fatty had never heard.
“Spikky-tarly-yondle,”said Fatty, and waggled his hands about just like his French master at school.
The pale-faced man spoke to his companion. “I believe he’s foxing,”he said in a low voice that Fatty could not hear. “He’s just pretending. I’ll soon make him talk his own language. Watch me.”
He suddenly bent over Fatty, took hold of his left arm, dragged it behind him and twisted it. Fatty let out an agonized yell. “Let go, you beast! You’re hurting me!”
“Aha!”said the pale-faced man. “So you can talk English, can you? Very interesting. Now - what about talking a little more, and telling us who you are and how you came here.”
Fatty nursed his twisted arm, feeling rather alarmed. He was very angry with himself for falling asleep and getting so easily caught. He looked sulkily at the man and said nothing.
“Ah! - he wants a little more coaxing,”said the pale-faced man, smiling with his thin lips and showing long yellow teeth. “Shall we twist your other arm, boy?”
He took hold of Fatty’s right arm. Fatty decided to talk. He wouldn’t give much away more than he could help.
“Don’t you touch me,”he said. “I’m a poor homeless fellow, and I’m doing no harm sleeping here.”
“How did you get in?”said the red-faced man.
“Through the coalhole,”said Fatty.
“Aha”said the man, and the thin-lipped one pursed up his mouth so that his lips completely vanished.
He looked very hard and cruel, Fatty thought.
“Does any one else know you’re here?”said the red-faced man.
“How do I know?”said Fatty. “If any one had seen me getting down the coalhole they’d know I was here. But if they didn’t see me, how would they know?”
“He is evading the question,”said the thin-lipped man. “We can only make him talk properly by giving him much pain. We will do so. A little beating first, I think.”
Fatty felt afraid. He was quite sure that this man would go to any lengths to get what be wanted to know. He stared sulkily at him.
Quite suddenly, without any warning, the thin-lipped man dealt Fatty a terrific blow on his right ear. Then, before the boy could recover, he dealt him another blow, this time on his left ear. Fatty gasped. Bright stars danced in front of his eyes, and he blinked.
When the stars went, and the boy could see again, he gazed in fear at the thin-lipped man, who was now smiling a horrible smile.
“I think you will talk now?”he said to Fatty. “I can do other things if you prefer.”
Fatty was very frightened now. He felt that he would rather give away the whale mystery than have any more blows. After all, he wouldn’t be harming the other Find-Outers, and he knew they would be only too glad for him to save himself from harm or injury. This was just very, very bad luck.
“All right. I’ll talk,”said Fatty, with a gulp. “There’s not much to tell you, though.”
“How did you find out this room?”demanded the red-faced man.
“By accident,”said Fatty. “A friend of mine climbed that tree outside, and looked in and saw this room.”
“How many know about it?”rapped out the thin-lipped man.
“Only me and the other Find-Outers,”said Patty.
“The other what?”said the man, puzzled.
Fatty explained. The men listened.
“Oh! - so there are five children in this,”said the red-faced man. “Any grown-up know about this affair?”
“No,”said Fatty. “We - we are rather keen on solving mysteries if we can - and we don’t like telling grown-ups in case they interfere. There’s only me and the other four in this. Now that I’ve let you know, you might let me go.”
“What! - let you go and have you spread the news around?”said the thin-lipped man scornfully. “It’s bad enough to have you interfering and messing up our plans without running the risk of letting you go.”
“Well, if you don’t, the others will come snooping round to see what’s happened to me,”said Fatty triumphantly. “I’ve already arranged for them to come and find out what’s happened if I’m not at home this morning.”
“I see,”said the thin-lipped man. He spoke quickly to the other man in a language Fatty could not follow. The red-faced man nodded. The thin-lipped man turned to Fatty.
“You will write a note to the others to say that you have discovered something wonderful here, and are guarding it, and will they all come to the garden as soon as possible,”he said.
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

The passage explains, it well, Snehalatha, Fatty was frightened of what the men would do to him, and was even prepared to give away the whole of the mystery to keep himself safe.

Just reading that passage, did you copy and paste from your book, Pete. If you did there is an error - the word is - whale - I expect it should be - whole -!

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

It can't be a copy Julie - all the speech marks are missing!
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

There was too much for me to read, let alone write it all out by hand! I have in the past use a voice recognition program. You read out the text then paste it. Obviously, you have to put in inverted commas where necessary.
Society Member
Carlotta King
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Barney, Secret Series, Famous Five
Favourite character: Bill Smugs,Lucy-Ann,Snubby,Mr King,Diana,Kiki,Paul

Post by Carlotta King »

Or if you have it on Kindle you can copy and paste it from there ;)
"Fussy Gussy! Polly, Polly, Polly-gize!"

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Daisy wrote:It can't be a copy Julie - all the speech marks are missing!

So Pete must have copied it all out then! Hence the spelling mistake. If so you have too much time on your hands, Pete! :lol: :lol:

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Poppy
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Adventure Series/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Andy, Jack Trent & Diana.

Post by Poppy »

I have just finished reading this one and it made a thoroughly pleasurable read. I think it is the first book in the series to portray the children tackling a mystery in a serious, rather professional style. This could be as a result of Fatty being head of the FFO for the first time, and encouraging the others to look upon their duties in a responsible and tactful way. I also think the Mystery was quite an original and well-plotted scheme: quite similar to The Adventurous Four Again because of the international thieves and the hideout. The hideout in The Adventurous Four Again was much more ideal, however, dare I say? I mean, it was a much more discreet, secluded location. Milton House was situated in quite a busy area, by the sound of it. Anyway - Enid also introduces some clever tricks to her young readers in this book, too (both of which I have attemped - successfully in the past). The Invisible Writing trick was the most efficent because it isn't very often you come across a room which isn't carpeted with a lock, nowadays. So, I don't think the book should be unpopular at all. It is a fantastic, fast-paced read, with plenty of entertaining disguises, tricks, excitement and thrill. The rest of the series will have to be reread very soon!
"Beware of young men with long hair - that's what dad says, isn't it?"
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I always felt a little let down on finishing this title. If the room had been held to keep a kidnapped person or maybe an escaped convict. It all seemed a bit ridiculous to have all that secrecy just to use the room for a few meetings. However, it was still a great read where the Find-Outers were involved and I did enjoy 90% of the book.
Society Member