Five Find-Outers & Dog Standout Moments

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: Five Find-Outers & Dog Standout Moments

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

pete9012S wrote:This section from Invisible Thief made me really chuckle today:
A Little Bit of Fun

Goon hadn't the slightest idea that he was sitting next to Fatty. He looked through his dark glasses at the dirty old man. Could he be the thief? He tried to see his hands, but Fatty was still wearing the holey old gloves.
"Want some baccy?"said Goon, seeing that Fatty's clay pipe was empty.
Fatty looked at him and then put his hand behind his ear.
"Want some baccy?"said Goon a little more loudly.
Still Fatty held his hand behind his ear and looked enquiringly at Goon, sucking at his dirty old pipe, and squinting horribly.

"WANT SOME BACCY?"roared Goon.
"Oh, ah - yes - I've got a bad back-ache,"answered Fatty. "Oooh, my back-ache. Somethink crool, it is."
"I said, WANT SOME BACCY?"yelled Goon again.
"I heard you the first time,"said Fatty, with dignity. "I'm having treatment for it at the hospital. And for me pore old feet too."
He gave a long, wheezy cough and rubbed the back of his hand over his nose.
"You've got big feet!"said Goon loudly.
"Oh, ah - it's a nice sunny seat,"agreed the old tramp. "I allus sits here of a mornin".
"I said you've got BIG FEET,"shouted Goon.
"You're right. Not enough meat these days,"said the tramp, and coughed again. "'Taint right. Meat's good for you."

Goon gave it up. "Silly old man,"he said in his ordinary voice, thinking that the tramp was absolutely stone deaf. Most surprisingly the old fellow heard him.
"Here! Who are you calling a silly old man?"said the tramp fiercely. "I heard you! Yes, I did! Think I was deaf, didn't you? But I heard you!"
"Now now - don't be silly,"said Goon, alarmed at the disturbance the tramp was making. "Be calm."
"Harm! Yes, I'll harm you!"said the tramp, and actually raised his stick. Goon retreated hurriedly to the other end of the bench and debated with himself. This old chap couldn't be the thief. He was deaf, his feet were bad, and he had back-ache. But where had he got those boots? It might be as well to follow him home and find out where he lived. It was no good asking him, that was plain. He'd only make some silly reply. So Goon took out his own pipe and proceeded to fill it, and to wait until the old tramp moved off.

Fatty was also waiting for Goon to move off, because he wanted to see if the policeman had discovered who or where Rods was. So there they both sat, one sucking an empty pipe, the other pulling at a lighted one. The smoke from it almost choked poor Fatty.

And then he saw Larry, Daisy, Bets and Pip coming down the street! Thank goodness they hadn't got Buster, who would certainly have smelt out Fatty at once and greeted him with joy. Buster was safely locked up in the shed, and was no doubt still scraping hopefully at the door.

Fatty sank his chin down on his chest, hoping that none of the four would recognise him. It would be maddening if they did, and came over to him and gave the game away to Goon.
They didn't recognise him. They gave him a mere glance, and then rested their eyes on Goon.
They walked by, giving backward glances at the disguised policeman, who pulled at his pipe desperately, praying that the four would go away. Thank goodness that fat boy was not with them. He'd have spotted him at once, disguise or no disguise.

The four children stopped at the end of the street because Bets was pulling at Larry's sleeve so urgently. "What is it, Bets?"asked Larry.
"See that big man sitting on the bench by the dirty old tramp?"said Bets. "I'm sure it's Goon! I'd know his big hairy hands anywhere. He's in disguise again - a better disguise this time, because his eyes are hidden. You just simply can't mistake those when you see them."
"I believe Bets is right,"said Daisy, looking back. "Yes - you can see it's Goon - the way he sits, and everything. It is Goon!"
"Let's have a bit of fun with him then,"said Pip. "Come on, let's. He won't know if we've spotted him or not, and he'll be in an awful fix."

Bets giggled. "What shall we do?"
"Oh nothing much - just go up to him innocently and ask him footling questions,"said Larry. "You know - what's the time, please? Have you got change for sixpence? Where does the bus start?"
Everyone laughed. "I'll go first,"said Pip. He walked up to the bench. Fatty saw him coming, and felt alarmed. Surely Pip hadn't recognised him. It looked as if he was going to speak to him. No - Pip was talking to Goon!

"Could you please tell me the time?"Pip asked innocently. Goon scowled. He pulled out his big watch.
"Ten to twelve,"he said.
"Thanks awfully,"said Pip. Fatty was astonished. Pip had his own watch. What was the point? Gosh! - could the others have recognised Goon after all - and have made up their minds to have some fun with him?

Larry came next. "Oh - could you possibly give me change for sixpence, sir?"he asked Goon politely. Fatty almost choked, but his choke was lost in Goon's snort.
"No. Clear-orf,"said Goon, unable to stop himself from using his favourite expression.
"Thanks very much,"said Larry, politely, and went off. Fatty got out his handkerchief, ready to bury his face in it if any of the others came along with a request. He hadn't bargained for this.

Up came Daisy. "Could you tell me, please, if the bus stops here for Sheepridge?"she asked.
Goon nearly exploded. These kids! Here he was, in a perfectly splendid disguise, one good enough to prevent anyone from knowing him, one that should be an absolute protection against these pests of children - and here they all were, making a bee-line for him. Did they do this sort of thing to everybody? He'd have to report them - complain to their parents!
"Go and look at the bus time-table,"he snapped at Daisy.
"Oh, thank you very much,"she said. Fatty chortled again into his handkerchief and Daisy looked at him in surprise. What a strange old man.

Bets was the last to come. "Please, have you seen our little dog, Buster?"she asked.
"No,"roared Goon. "And if I do I'll chase him out of town."
"Oh, thanks very much,"said Bets politely, and departed. Fatty was nearly dying of laughter, trying to keep back his guffaws. He had another coughing fit in his handkerchief and Goon looked at him suspiciously.

"Nasty cough of yours,"he said. Poor Fatty was quite unable to answer. He prayed that the others wouldn't come back to ask any more questions.
Goon was debating with himself again. With those children about, pestering him like this, he'd never get anywhere. Had they seen through his disguise? Or was this kind of thing their usual behaviour? He saw Daisy bearing down on him and rose hurriedly. He strode off in the direction of the police station. He could bear no more.

Fatty collapsed. He buried his face in his handkerchief and laughed till he cried. Daisy looked at him in alarm. "Are you all right?"she said timidly.

Fatty recovered and sat up. "Yes, thanks, Daisy,"he said in his normal voice, and Daisy stood and stared at him, her mouth open in amazement.
"Fatty!"she whispered. "Oh, Fatty! We recognised Goon - but we didn't know the tramp was you! Oh, Fatty!"
Thanks for that, Pete. :lol: Enid Blyton tends to get overlooked as a writer of comedy but scenes like that are masterfully handled. Enid moves seamlessly from one character to another with a lightness of touch, an instinctive awareness of speech rhythms and perfect comic timing. No wonder the Find-Outers books are such a joy to read.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Brilliant, I agree. :D Thanks, Pete.

A lot of my favourite stand-out moments have already been mentioned, but I must put in a word for the episode in Secret Room where Fatty and the others write a very rude note to Mr Goon with invisible ink, on the assumption that he won't be able to read it. When it turns out he DOES know how to make it visible and is most displeased, there's a race to replace the rude note with a perfectly polite one before Goon makes trouble! :wink: (I don't have the book with me at the moment, or I'd include some quotes.)
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
PaulB123
Favourite book/series: Five Finder Outers & Famous Five
Favourite character: Fatty & Dick

Post by PaulB123 »

2. When Fatty teaches the children how to write in invisible ink and get out of a locked room.
The Mystery of the Secret Room
This is the book where Fatty writes Mr Goon a message and then switches it in his presence? This also shows great humour and good knowledge for these tricks.

Now I remember when I first read that I thought it was so clever, the paper under the gap at bottom of the door, using wire to wheedle the key out so drops on the paper and then slide the paper back and Hey Presto :o out the locked room.
I search all over my house for a similar door set up to try myself but the problem with new build houses they didn't have the doors with proper locks and the doors fitted too well :cry:

Did anyone manage to try this wonder trick Fatty shared with not only the other FOs but all the impressed readers ?
Duncan:
There is a war on. How is it you are heading west?
Hawkeye:
Well, we kinda face to the north and, real sudden-like, turn left.

Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

I wished I could have tried it too, but similarly, there were no suitable locks on any of our doors (all the new-fangled sort that take a slim, flat key, not an old-fashioned big keyhole that you can stick a wire into) and all our floors were carpeted anyway! :wink: (And of course, as I'm sure Fatty acknowledges, it only works if one's captor has left the key in the lock...)

I did, however, try the trick of making invisible ink with orange juice. Secret Room was the first FFO book I ever read — I would have been about 7 — and Dad helped me to use the nib pen (not a skill most children learn these days) and he ironed the paper afterwards to make the "ink" become visible. It worked! :D
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
mynameisdumbnuts
Favourite book/series: Malory Towers, Famous Five, Adventure series
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Darrell Rivers, Bets Hilton

Post by mynameisdumbnuts »

I can't think of 10 off the top of my head, but I laugh when Mr. Goon tries to create poetry and stands in his room chanting "The boy stood on the burning deck, abbledy abbledy abbledy." It's such a silly phrase, but it's also a touch poignant to see Goon trying to broaden his horizons like that.

I also love when Fatty finishes off Ern's "pomes." He's so clever and witty, and I find it makes his character much more real because I know there are people out there who can do that kind of thing.
"Lucy, you want more backbone -– you've got your wishbone where your backbone ought to be!" -- "House-at-the-Corner"
Shanku
Favourite book/series: Mystery Series, Malory Towers, all Fairy Stories
Favourite character: Alicia, Fatty, Bets & Timmy!

Post by Shanku »

Courtenay wrote:I wished I could have tried it too, but similarly, there were no suitable locks on any of our doors (all the new-fangled sort that take a slim, flat key, not an old-fashioned big keyhole that you can stick a wire into) and all our floors were carpeted anyway! :wink: (And of course, as I'm sure Fatty acknowledges, it only works if one's captor has left the key in the lock...)

I did, however, try the trick of making invisible ink with orange juice. Secret Room was the first FFO book I ever read — I would have been about 7 — and Dad helped me to use the nib pen (not a skill most children learn these days) and he ironed the paper afterwards to make the "ink" become visible. It worked! :D
I remember trying the trick with orange juice too! All by myself though, iron and all at the age of 8 or 9, I think. :lol: It was too thrilling for words!
...and there, hidden among the leaves, was Peronel. She had beautiful golden hair and was dressed in silvery white with silver wings on her back.

Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Hmmm, my parents wouldn't have let me use the iron by myself. I do remember Dad, who of course grew up when fountain pens were still in common use, showed off a bit by drawing a picture with the orange juice ink so that it was revealed when we ironed the paper — just a simple drawing of a house, but a little annoying for me when I was so clumsy with the pen that I could barely write a few legible letters!! :roll: :wink:
Society Member

Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

I managed to do the key under the door trick as we had attics where I was living when I first read the book and there was no carpet to impede the progress of the paper or the key. I also did the invisible writing with a friend - we sent apparently blank papers to each other!
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Blytonfan

Post by Blytonfan »

First time posting here though I have been a long time lurker.
(Moderator please feel free to edit.)

In addition to the stand-out moments here are some things I found that lend some added charm:

1) I love the frequent mention of Marlow in the books
2) The way the geography of Peterswood gets mapped out through the series
3) The description of the mysterious house and its surroundings in "Hidden House"
4) The introduction of Boysie and the inherent message that it's not right to discriminate someone because of a disability
5) Fatty "borrowing" trousers off the scarecrow
6) The oil stove warming Fatty's shed

Two things that didn't seem quite okay to me:
1) "Fisherman" Jenks. The kids instinctively decide to trust this stranger...wish it had been a bit more rational
2) Buster running off with the right shoe in "Strange Bundle" ...wish Fatty had made sure the clothes were kept safe in the first place
Darrell71
Favourite book/series: Adventure series
Favourite character: Darrell Rivers, Bill Smugs, Kiki, Elizabeth Allen,

Re: Five Find Outers & Dog Standout Moments

Post by Darrell71 »

9. When Fatty gets all the wet clothes stuffed down his neck.
The Mystery of the Strange Bundle
Unpleasant though it must have been for poor old Fatty, Enid's description of his expressions are very comical indeed, making the scene rather very funny (sorry Fatty!).
Oh good gracious, I'm only now realizing the clothes were stuffed down his neck! Way back when I read Strange Bundle as a child, I for some bizarre (now that I think about it) reason thought Fatty got soaking wet clothes stuffed down his throat, and was horrified by this portrayal of an extremely dangerous action in an EB book! I still remember my shock and bemusement very clearly, and steered well clear of that book since then, lol.

It's probably time to give the entire series, that book included, another, more thoughtful read. :lol:
You can call me Sunskriti!
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I love it when people share things like that, Sunskriti. :lol: I can just picture your horror!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Irene Malory Towers
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series
Favourite character: Fatty from the Five Find Outers

Post by Irene Malory Towers »

I don't think anyone has mentioned the time in the Mystery of the Vanished Prince when Mr Goon, convinced that there is a clue somewhere goes into the twins baby competition and examines thge prams. One mum asks him if he is thinking of buying one ! Priceless.
You'll never wear your own brains out, Mr. Goon - you don't use them enough !
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Thank you very much for the reminder of that scene Irene - it really made me laugh! :D

Mr. Goon was now examining the prams. Could he find anything in
them that would help him? He didn't think so. He considered each
pram carefully, much to the amazement of a mother coming out to
get something for her baby.
"Thinking of buying a pram?" she asked him.
Mr. Goon didn't deign to reply. He wandered off in search of Ern.
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
GloomyGraham

Post by GloomyGraham »

PaulB123 wrote: 02 Apr 2019, 12:52 Did anyone manage to try this wonder trick Fatty shared with not only the other FOs but all the impressed readers ?
Yes. I arrived home from school one day without a door-key and nobody else was home. The trick worked a treat on our side-door and I didn't have to search for an unlocked window.

I think I might have used it more than once.
Nair Snehalatha

Post by Nair Snehalatha »

On Missing necklace-- Fatty disguising as old Johnny, the go between
He even.manages.to give a letter to Johnny telling him not to sit on the bench fir a few days
.In Secret.Room Fattys disguise as the French.boy.is indeed a stand out.Fatty disguiding his writing ad Ern's and writing the rude.but humorous poem.about Mr Goon--.but the sad part was Ern got caned-- still Ern.felt the poem was worth.a.caning-- how nice.to hsve friends like the findouters

--