Five Find-Outers & Dog Standout Moments

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Five Find-Outers & Dog Standout Moments

Post by pete9012S »

As with the recent thread on the Famous Five,what are your top ten sublime moments from the whole of Fatty and his chums adventures?

Obviously it may take a little time to compose your thoughts and come up with your top ten (plus a bonus eleventh if you wish!) but I'm sure taking in everyone's favourite moments will make for enjoyable reading.
I'm starting to chuckle to myself even now thinking of some of the various events that I have enjoyed.

There's two in particular that completely crease me up whenever I call them back to mind....."Oh my auntie,oh I never did...." :D

" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Poppy
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Adventure Series/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Andy, Jack Trent & Diana.

Re: Five Find Outers & Dog Standout Moments

Post by Poppy »

1. When the Find-Outers meet on that evening of the fire.
The Mystery of the Burnt Cottage
Good humour, good conversation, yet a brilliant sense of thrill lingers about the fire - all coming together to make a great scene.

2. When Fatty teaches the children how to write in invisible ink and get out of a locked room.
The Mystery of the Secret Room
This is the book where Fatty writes Mr Goon a message and then switches it in his presence? This also shows great humour and good knowledge for these tricks.

3. When Fatty dresses up as Napoleon in the waxworks!
The Mystery of the Missing Necklace
Definitely my favourite scene of the entire series - especially when Mr Goon walks in and also poses as a waxwork. Ingenious!

4. Fatty disguises himself as a balloon seller and only Bets recognises him.
Also - The Mystery of the Missing Necklace
I really like how Bets outshines the others on this one - and her reaction to Fatty's disguise is also brilliant - I really must reread this book again sometime.

5.Tippylooloo!
The Mystery of the Spiteful Letters
Like Five Go to Smugglers Top is my favourite FF book opening, The Mystery of the Spiteful Letters has my very favourite opening to it. So inventive and creative!

6. Trick on Mr Goon's "Stand in"...
I think - The Mystery of the Pantomime Cat
I only remember this briefly, but I love the scene when (I think) Pip and Fatty played a trick on somebody who is taking Mr Goon's place for a little while, making sure he saw them looking shifty and leaving a peculiar note behind. Not sure about the book number, name of Stand in, or characters - but I remember the scene!

7. The Royal Bongawee company
The Mystery of the Vanished Prince
A very memorable and enjoyable scene concerning the Find-Outers, excluding Fatty (though his brains are behind all the mischief - as usual!) Especially funny when Fatty produces the State Umbrella!

8. When the money is found in the hems of the curtains.
The Mystery of Holly-Lane
Because I have only got a few memorable moments left and there are so many to choose from, this is going to have to be a joint one. When all the money is found in the hem of the curtains, and when the Find-Outers mistake the foreigner for Fatty at the beginning of Holly-Lane.

9. When Fatty gets all the wet clothes stuffed down his neck.
The Mystery of the Strange Bundle
Unpleasant though it must have been for poor old Fatty, Enid's description of his expressions are very comical indeed, making the scene rather very funny (sorry Fatty!).

10. Last but not least - Putting the clues together and finding the jewels!
The Mystery of the Strange Messages
This is another favourite Find-Outers book, and I really love how all the clues are fitted together in the end to point to where the jewels are hidden. Very clever plot and interesting and intelligent to read.
"Beware of young men with long hair - that's what dad says, isn't it?"
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
The 6th Find Outer

Post by The 6th Find Outer »

Not all of them are really sublime moments, but my favourites:

1. Missing Necklace
Fatty as Napoleon, Goon sneezing, the villains looking for the intruder. To me it´s the most thrilling scene in the whole series.

2. Tally-Ho Cottage
Ern giving Fatty the handmade table. Ern is always looking up to Fatty, in this scene he gets back some little respect and he seems so proud of that. He deserves it.

3. Vanished Prince
The Find-Outers trying to interview Sid, whose jaws are glued together due to all the toffees. Him chewing madly and also unsuccessfully to get rid of the paste in his mouth much to the disgust of all the others. Hilarious.

4. Burnt Cottage
Fatty comforting Bets after she gave away all their detection work to Mr. Hick - despite everyone else is blaming her.

5. Tally-Ho Cottage
Fatty disguising himself as Larkin, Goon seeing the two Larkins and believing he is getting mad.

6. Missing Necklace
The way Bets finds the necklace.

7. Invisible Thief
The cobbler speaking insultingly about Goon, being unaware that it´s the disguised Goon whom he is talking to.

8. Vanished Prince
A disguised Bets calling Goon a "frog face" (at least in the German translation), being well aware whom she is talking to.

9. Disappearing Cat
The Find-Outers sticking by Luke despite most of the grown-ups are sure that he is the culprit.

10. Hidden House
Fatty making Ern give back the notebook he took away from Goon. Even if he dislikes a person a lot, Fatty doesn´t do and doesn´t want others to do, what is not right to be done.
Maggie Knows

Post by Maggie Knows »

I've only ever read one FFO book - the one about the cat - so I cant contribute, sorry !
deepeabee
Favourite book/series: The one I'm reading....
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville.

Post by deepeabee »

Another one of my favourite series. I'm giving it some serious thought so will post later. :)
SwatIsaid!

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: Five Find-Outers & Dog Standout Moments

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Although I love the thrilling parts and the mystery-solving, it's the humorous remarks, incidents and characters that have stuck in my mind most.

1. Fatty's ingenious disguise as a waxwork figure of Napoleon in The Mystery of the Missing Necklace - and that ill-timed sneeze from Goon who is there as a waxwork policeman! A couple of other people have mentioned this episode. It's tense and exciting and is my favourite of the whole series.

2. The Mystery of the Missing Necklace again, when Goon is keeping his eyes peeled for a suspect with a hooter on his bike. He keeps hearing hooting outside his house, but when he rushes to the window or door there is never a cyclist in sight, much to his exasperation. The chapter ends with an example of Enid Blyton's superb coming timing:
"Drat it! Where was it? He looked up and down the road once more but there really was no sign of a bicycle. There was only a boy a good way down, sauntering along. But he hadn't a bicycle.
He had a hooter, though, under his coat, and his name was Fatty!"

3. The opening chapters of The Mystery of the Strange Bundle. What with peppermint bull's-eyes, cosy scenes between Fatty and Bets, Fatty disguising as his own visitor (hilarious!) and ventriloquism, this book is already laden with atmosphere and excitement before there's so much as a sniff of a mystery.

4. Near the beginning of The Mystery of Holly Lane when Larry, Daisy, Pip and Bets think a Frenchman looking for a house named "Grintriss" is Fatty in disguise, and lead him a merry dance. I still laugh out loud at all the confusion.

5. The denouement of The Mystery of Holly Lane, when Fatty gathers everyone together at the Hollies and unravels the mystery with great éclat, producing victim and culprit on cue. A masterful piece of writing.

6. Fatty and Larry's conversation with Kitty the cook in The Mystery of the Pantomime Cat. She's a marvellous character with her talk of what she has seen at the pictures - films like Three Broken Hearts and He Loved Her So ("Oooh, it was lovely. Made me cry ever so."). I always look forward to meeting her when I re-read the book.

7. The children's very first encounter with Inspector Jenks in The Mystery of the Burnt Cottage, when Bets explains that they're the Find-Outers and Inspector Jenks replies, "The Fine Doubters? What do you doubt then?" Enid's enjoyment of language shines through in remarks like that.

8. Fatty forgetting to take off his earrings after having disguised as a gypsy-woman in The Mystery of the Vanished Prince, leading Mrs. Hilton to stare at him in astonishment and say, "Well, really, Frederick, I cannot approve of your jewellery!"

9. Fatty (in The Mystery of the Strange Messages) finding a very important and unusual clue in the form of The Rangoon Weekly while collecting jumble for his mother - and accidentally speaking in his own voice to one of his mother's friends, forgetting momentarily that he is dressed in his frightful rag-and-bone man get-up!

10. Goon seeing two "Mr. Larkins" in The Mystery of Tally-Ho Cottage and thinking he must be going mad. Absolutely hilarious, and made all the more memorable by Treyer Evans' illustration of the meeting.

Eeek - is that ten already? I must just mention one more:

11. The Coleopterist Conference in The Mystery of the Missing Man. It's all deliciously eccentric, and who could forget Fatty's comment to Mr. Goon: "Have you seen the Seven-Spotted Helmeted Kicking Beetle from Ollaby-Oon in Grootenburgenstein?"

What a wonderful series!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

A very enjoyable resume.I had completely forgotten about the hooter!

The part were the 'telegraph boy' keeps referring to the absent Fatty as 'Mr Troteville' driving Goon potty in the process always makes me really smile.

Not forgetting my all time fave section of mirth...(apart from Fatty dressed as Larkin going around the local park and trying out the swings etc!!) :D
Mr. Goon didn’t want to go first. He pushed Fatty in front of him, and then immediately wished he hadn’t because a deep and ferocious growl came from somewhere behind him. Fatty was certainly practising his new talent well!
And then a new sound came to worry poor Mr. Goon. A voice came from somewhere, a groaning voice that said:
“I never did it, I never! Ooooooh! I never did it! Where’s my auntie?”
Goon listened, petrified. He began to feel as if hc was in a nightmare. He whispered to Fatty. “There’s a man here somewhere! This beats all! We’d better get help. I’m not going to snoop round here with dogs, and pigs, and a man groaning. What’s been happening since I was here this morning?”
“Look, you stay here, Mr. Goon, and I’ll go and get help,”said Fatty, and moved firmly into the hall. But Mr. Goon clutched at him.
“No, don’t leave me here alone. Can’t you stay while I get help?”
“Remember your duty, Mr. Goon,”said Fatty solemnly. “There is Something Queer here, and it’s your duty to examine it. But it’s not my duty. I’ll go and get help. Goodbye!”
Goon held on to him tightly, and then the Voice began again. “I never did it, I never! Oooooooh! I never did it! Where’s my auntie?”
Goon began to shake. “What’s he mean, talking about his auntie?”he whispered. “Come on, let’s go! This is a mad-house, this is.”
“Mr. Goon - why not telephone for help!”said Fatty, suddenly catching sight af the telephone in the hall. “You’d get some one here in a trice then.”
Mr. Goon was so relieved at this bright idea of Fatty’s that he almost embraced him. He stumbled to the telephone and dialled a number.
Fatty heard him telephoning to another constable. He tiptoed silently out of the front door, grinning as he heard Goon’s agonized voice.
“Send some one up here at once. There’s a fierce dog in the house - and a pig - yes, I said a pig - P-I-G. Yes, PIG, you ass. And a groaning man who wants his Auntie. AUNTIE! Yes, I did say Auntie. Are you deaf, or something? Well, how do I know why he wants his Auntie? No, I’m not daft, but I soon shall be if you don’t send some one to this address at once. Yes - I do want help - YES, there IS a dog here - and a pig - and an Auntie - no, not an Auntie, but a man who wants one. Oh, and there’s a kitten, too, I forgot to mention that.”
There was a pause as Goon listened to a few remarks from the other end of the telephone. He sputtered into it again.
“Any more sauce from you, Kenton, and I’ll report you. I’m NOT having a joke with you. You come up here at once. AT ONCE, do you hear?”
Fatty heard all this and felt that he really must go somewhere and laugh. He tiptoed round to the back of the house where there was a shed he could go into and laugh in peace. He saw the broken casement window, hanging open, as he passed. He thrust his head inside, and sent a terrible growl into the house.
Mr. Goon heard it. He looked round, and found that Fatty had gone. He was alone - alone in the house with a host of terrifying things. It was too much for Goon. He fled at top speed out of the front door, and didn’t stop running till he came to the bottom of the road.
Fatty heard him go. And then he laughed. How he laughed! It really was the best laugh Fatty had ever had in all his life!

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Great stuff, Pete! The Mystery of the Strange Bundle is my favourite Find-Outers book.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
snugglepot
Favourite book/series: Five Find Outers, Faraway Tree, Barney Books
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by snugglepot »

1. Fatty realises that the Larkins are really the Lorenzos in "Tally Ho Cottage".
2. Fatty disguised as Mr Larkin leading Goon on a merry chase.
3. Meeting Ern for the first time in "Hidden House".
4. First meeting of the five in "Burnt Cottage".
5. Anytime Fatty is in disguise.
Lenoir
Favourite book/series: FFO/FF. Five run away together, Most FFO books.
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Lenoir »

Most of my standout moments have been covered I think – they are similar to Anita’s and Pete’s.
I also like the one in Vanished Prince when he is trying to make his tongue go loose and ends up reciting poetry and Ern overhears him!
And that time when Fatty tries out his cheek pads and his face looks like a full moon!
fattykhan

Post by fattykhan »

Too many great scenes to count, but here goes!

1. The final scene where Fatty unravels the mystery in Invisible Thief
2. Fatty's disguises in Tally Ho Cottage esp Lorenzo with Mrs. Lorenzo and Goon seeing double
3. Ern in the tree house at night in Tally Ho Cottage (the scene that started my obsession with Treehouses)
4. Fatty's ventriloquism about a Dying Pig and A Man wanting his Auntie in Strange Bundle (not my favorite book in the series but just about my favorite scene)
5. The first meeting of the five in Burnt Cottage
And the list goes on: Waxworks climax scene in Missing Necklace, "Princess Bets" and her state umbrella in Vanished prince, Mr Goon on the merry go round in Missing Necklace, Mr Goon the red-faced fisherman in Invisible Thief, The night adventure after Ivanhoe in Holly Lane, etc., etc.
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

Some great stand out moments listed here. Have we overlooked any classics??

Society Member
IceMaiden
Favourite book/series: Too many to mention! All of them!
Favourite character: George

Post by IceMaiden »

So many have already been mentioned but I'll add Fatty switching a locked up Buster for Mr Goon's own cat, and tricking the others into describing Goon's appearance to himself when he's in his fisherman's disguise :lol: . There's so many great moments in the Find Outers that are both extremely clever and funny with it.
Society Member

I'm just an old fashioned girl with an old fashioned mind
Not sophisticated, I'm the sweet and simple kind
I want an old fashioned house, with an old fashioned fence
And A̶n̶ ̶o̶l̶d̶ ̶f̶a̶s̶h̶i̶o̶n̶e̶d̶ ̶m̶i̶l̶l̶i̶o̶n̶a̶i̶r̶e̶
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

Good ones IceMaiden! :D

Society Member
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

This section from Invisible Thief made me really chuckle today:

A Little Bit of Fun

Goon hadn't the slightest idea that he was sitting next to Fatty. He looked through his dark glasses at the dirty old man. Could he be the thief? He tried to see his hands, but Fatty was still wearing the holey old gloves.
"Want some baccy?"said Goon, seeing that Fatty's clay pipe was empty.
Fatty looked at him and then put his hand behind his ear.
"Want some baccy?"said Goon a little more loudly.
Still Fatty held his hand behind his ear and looked enquiringly at Goon, sucking at his dirty old pipe, and squinting horribly.

"WANT SOME BACCY?"roared Goon.
"Oh, ah - yes - I've got a bad back-ache,"answered Fatty. "Oooh, my back-ache. Somethink crool, it is."
"I said, WANT SOME BACCY?"yelled Goon again.
"I heard you the first time,"said Fatty, with dignity. "I'm having treatment for it at the hospital. And for me pore old feet too."
He gave a long, wheezy cough and rubbed the back of his hand over his nose.
"You've got big feet!"said Goon loudly.
"Oh, ah - it's a nice sunny seat,"agreed the old tramp. "I allus sits here of a mornin".
"I said you've got BIG FEET,"shouted Goon.
"You're right. Not enough meat these days,"said the tramp, and coughed again. "'Taint right. Meat's good for you."

Goon gave it up. "Silly old man,"he said in his ordinary voice, thinking that the tramp was absolutely stone deaf. Most surprisingly the old fellow heard him.
"Here! Who are you calling a silly old man?"said the tramp fiercely. "I heard you! Yes, I did! Think I was deaf, didn't you? But I heard you!"
"Now now - don't be silly,"said Goon, alarmed at the disturbance the tramp was making. "Be calm."
"Harm! Yes, I'll harm you!"said the tramp, and actually raised his stick. Goon retreated hurriedly to the other end of the bench and debated with himself. This old chap couldn't be the thief. He was deaf, his feet were bad, and he had back-ache. But where had he got those boots? It might be as well to follow him home and find out where he lived. It was no good asking him, that was plain. He'd only make some silly reply. So Goon took out his own pipe and proceeded to fill it, and to wait until the old tramp moved off.

Fatty was also waiting for Goon to move off, because he wanted to see if the policeman had discovered who or where Rods was. So there they both sat, one sucking an empty pipe, the other pulling at a lighted one. The smoke from it almost choked poor Fatty.

And then he saw Larry, Daisy, Bets and Pip coming down the street! Thank goodness they hadn't got Buster, who would certainly have smelt out Fatty at once and greeted him with joy. Buster was safely locked up in the shed, and was no doubt still scraping hopefully at the door.

Fatty sank his chin down on his chest, hoping that none of the four would recognise him. It would be maddening if they did, and came over to him and gave the game away to Goon.
They didn't recognise him. They gave him a mere glance, and then rested their eyes on Goon.
They walked by, giving backward glances at the disguised policeman, who pulled at his pipe desperately, praying that the four would go away. Thank goodness that fat boy was not with them. He'd have spotted him at once, disguise or no disguise.

The four children stopped at the end of the street because Bets was pulling at Larry's sleeve so urgently. "What is it, Bets?"asked Larry.
"See that big man sitting on the bench by the dirty old tramp?"said Bets. "I'm sure it's Goon! I'd know his big hairy hands anywhere. He's in disguise again - a better disguise this time, because his eyes are hidden. You just simply can't mistake those when you see them."
"I believe Bets is right,"said Daisy, looking back. "Yes - you can see it's Goon - the way he sits, and everything. It is Goon!"
"Let's have a bit of fun with him then,"said Pip. "Come on, let's. He won't know if we've spotted him or not, and he'll be in an awful fix."

Bets giggled. "What shall we do?"
"Oh nothing much - just go up to him innocently and ask him footling questions,"said Larry. "You know - what's the time, please? Have you got change for sixpence? Where does the bus start?"
Everyone laughed. "I'll go first,"said Pip. He walked up to the bench. Fatty saw him coming, and felt alarmed. Surely Pip hadn't recognised him. It looked as if he was going to speak to him. No - Pip was talking to Goon!

"Could you please tell me the time?"Pip asked innocently. Goon scowled. He pulled out his big watch.
"Ten to twelve,"he said.
"Thanks awfully,"said Pip. Fatty was astonished. Pip had his own watch. What was the point? Gosh! - could the others have recognised Goon after all - and have made up their minds to have some fun with him?

Larry came next. "Oh - could you possibly give me change for sixpence, sir?"he asked Goon politely. Fatty almost choked, but his choke was lost in Goon's snort.
"No. Clear-orf,"said Goon, unable to stop himself from using his favourite expression.
"Thanks very much,"said Larry, politely, and went off. Fatty got out his handkerchief, ready to bury his face in it if any of the others came along with a request. He hadn't bargained for this.

Up came Daisy. "Could you tell me, please, if the bus stops here for Sheepridge?"she asked.
Goon nearly exploded. These kids! Here he was, in a perfectly splendid disguise, one good enough to prevent anyone from knowing him, one that should be an absolute protection against these pests of children - and here they all were, making a bee-line for him. Did they do this sort of thing to everybody? He'd have to report them - complain to their parents!
"Go and look at the bus time-table,"he snapped at Daisy.
"Oh, thank you very much,"she said. Fatty chortled again into his handkerchief and Daisy looked at him in surprise. What a strange old man.

Bets was the last to come. "Please, have you seen our little dog, Buster?"she asked.
"No,"roared Goon. "And if I do I'll chase him out of town."
"Oh, thanks very much,"said Bets politely, and departed. Fatty was nearly dying of laughter, trying to keep back his guffaws. He had another coughing fit in his handkerchief and Goon looked at him suspiciously.

"Nasty cough of yours,"he said. Poor Fatty was quite unable to answer. He prayed that the others wouldn't come back to ask any more questions.
Goon was debating with himself again. With those children about, pestering him like this, he'd never get anywhere. Had they seen through his disguise? Or was this kind of thing their usual behaviour? He saw Daisy bearing down on him and rose hurriedly. He strode off in the direction of the police station. He could bear no more.

Fatty collapsed. He buried his face in his handkerchief and laughed till he cried. Daisy looked at him in alarm. "Are you all right?"she said timidly.

Fatty recovered and sat up. "Yes, thanks, Daisy,"he said in his normal voice, and Daisy stood and stared at him, her mouth open in amazement.
"Fatty!"she whispered. "Oh, Fatty! We recognised Goon - but we didn't know the tramp was you! Oh, Fatty!"

Society Member