Characters to join the heros

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Stephen

Characters to join the heros

Post by Stephen »

Of the characters who join our heros in Enid's books (apart from Antoinette at St Clare's who I've already mentioned), I like June (Malory Towers) who befriends Darrell's young sister Felicity because she turns out to be good and brave after being awful and writing anonymous letters and such, Aily from Five Get into a Fix because she's likeable and helps the Five and finally, gypsy Jo from Five Fall into Adventure because she's a tomboy, she provides George with a bit of competition and turns out to be brave and good.
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Tassie from The Castle of Adventure was also very likeable. Brave too, wriggling up a tunnel through a stream to get in and help her friends. I never much liked Prince Paul from the Secret Series though, i'll have to re-read them and see if he has improved as i've gotten older. :D
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

lucky Star wrote:I never much liked Prince Paul from the Secret Series though, i'll have to re-read them and see if he has improved as i've gotten older. :D

He hasn't! I quite agree with you, lucky Star. I simply adore the Secret series, but find the whole Paul/Ranni/Baronia thing really annoying.

"Baronian cars are made for this sort of terrain" Come on, who can name a car made in Baronia. We all know the good old British Land Rover is a world beater!

As for the Queen of Baronia needing Moon Castle to stay in, What's the matter with The Hilton?
Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

I adore the Secret Series as well Moonraker. The baronia thing is a little far fetched, that said the robber people and their forest hideout in The secret of Killimooin really captured my imagination as a child.
Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

As for the Queen of Baronia needing Moon Castle to stay in, What's the matter with The Hilton?
I find the bit about how do you find a castle to rent really quite amusing

Best wishes

Viv

I STILL don't get this quote thing!!!!
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017
Keith Robinson
Site Administrator

Post by Keith Robinson »

Viv, I fixed your quote for you. Basically, if you want to quote someone, you just have to surround the quoted text with the quote tags like this:

[quote]Text to be quoted[/quote]

ie, [quote] at the start and [/quote] at the end.

The best way is to highlight the text to be quoted and press the "Quote" button. But you can write it manually too.

If you want someone's name to appear above the quote, then instead of pressing "reply" to reply to the post, press "quote" instead (located to the top right of the post you want to reply to). Then you can trim all the stuff you don't want in the quote so you're left only with the bit you want.
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Keith Robinson wrote:
The best way is to highlight the text to be quoted and press the "Quote" button. But you can write it manually too.
Don't get that one, Keith. If I highlight the text on the post, then click on "Quote", I get the whole text, just as if I'd clicked on quote to start with :?

I normally press "quote", highlight the bits I don't want, then delete them (pressing [delete] on the keyboard).

Off to Wales for a couple of days now. Gonna try out some of those newfangled flying wings that I hear are available in the principality.

Whateffer look you dai bach.
Society Member
Raci

Post by Raci »

Off to Wales for a couple of days now.
Have a great time away!

:D I see your Avatars changed again :lol:
Keith Robinson
Site Administrator

Post by Keith Robinson »

I probably wasn't clear, but I meant highlight the text within the post you're writing. You know, the same as if you highlight text and press the "i" for italics, or "b" for bold. You can highlight the text and press "Quote" and that highlighted text will be inset as a quote.

But obviously the easiest way is the way you said, Nigel - by pressing "Quote" to the top right of the post you're reading on the forum. Pressing that button starts a reply to that message, with that message being inserted as a quote. And like you said, you can delete everything you don't want in the quote.

It's harder to explain than actually do! Viv, is this clearer now? :-p
Viv of Ginger Pop

Keith Robinson wrote: It's harder to explain than actually do! Viv, is this clearer now? :-p
Has this worked?
Viv of Ginger Pop

I done it

I feel like making one of those YEE-HOW noises that happy Americans make!

Viv
Keith Robinson
Site Administrator

Post by Keith Robinson »

Yeeee-HAAAA!!!
RainbowJude
Favourite book/series: Malory Towers, Adventure Series, Barney Mysteries
Favourite character: Darryl, Dick, Barney, Jack, George, Noddy, Pip

Re: Characters Who Join the Heroes --> Adventure Series

Post by RainbowJude »

Lucky Star wrote:Tassie from The Castle of Adventure was also very likeable. Brave too, wriggling up a tunnel through a stream to get in and help her friends.
Yes, having just completed the readathon, I's say that Tassie is my favourite "tagalong" character in the Adventure series. There's nothing to dislike about her really - which sets her apart from other supporting characters in the series like David, Lucian and Gussy. I guess the other notable exception is Oola in The River of Adventure, but I found the characterisation rather generalised and perhaps even a bit patronsing - so in the end Tassie is still at the top of the list for me!

Later days
David