Antoinette, St. Clare's

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Stephen

Antoinette, St. Clare's

Post by Stephen »

My favourite character in the St Clare's books is the French girl Antoinette in the last book of the series, when she always gets the better of the bossy Sixth Form girls who try to order her about. She's so clever by pretending to be shy and meek while all the time she's cunning and amusing. Putting shoe polish on their toast instead of anchovy paste was wonderful. Does anyone agree with me?
Julian
Favourite book/series: Six Bad Boys/Famous Five/St Clare's/Wishing Chair
Favourite character: Julian/Janet/Carlotta

Post by Julian »

Hey Stephen! Yes, even I like Antionette very much, indeed. I especilly liked the scene when she put the shoe cream on Angela's shoes and spilt the jug of cold water on Anne-Marie!! It was soooooo funny! :lol:
  • ♥♣ Møh@mð Hä§åÑ♥♣
Thanks to Nigel for my avatar! :)
Susie

Post by Susie »

Julian wrote:Hey Stephen! Yes, even I like Antionette very much, indeed. I especilly liked the scene when she put the shoe cream on Angela's shoes and spilt the jug of cold water on Anne-Marie!! It was soooooo funny! :lol:
Yes i love those books too i was very sad when the series came to an end. I also like Claudine, Antionette older sister.
Claudine had a tendency to take the other girls possessions, it makes me think that Claudine had never been to a school in her life, although she said she was in one in France.
cherryaimless

Post by cherryaimless »

The thing with Antoinette is that she did everything to make people rethink the way they behaved. It wasn't vengeful, particularly, although the anchovy paste/shoe polish was a tad cruel, especially as everyone concerned had to go to Matron for a dose, and dear old Honourable Angela Favorleigh was probably chucking her guts up for weeks every time she thought of the awful taste...actually, no. I'll revise my statement already. Antoinette was a vengeful miss, but I suppose it was comeuppance time for those who fell foul of her cunning revenge plots...!!!
Half Term came and went...
Julian
Favourite book/series: Six Bad Boys/Famous Five/St Clare's/Wishing Chair
Favourite character: Julian/Janet/Carlotta

Post by Julian »

I think maybe we should start an Antoinette Fan Club! That would be wonderful!!! :D :D :D
........and also a website dedicated to her!!!!! :D :D :D :D :) :)

Three cheers for Antionette
  • ♥♣ Møh@mð Hä§åÑ♥♣
Thanks to Nigel for my avatar! :)
Moose
Favourite book/series: Malory Towers
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Moose »

I liked both Antoinette and Claudine very much. I did wonder, however, what Antoinette would have done if she had got to Alison and Angela's study and hadn't conveniently found little tricks she could play, like the face cream and the shoe cream ones. What would she have done if Angela had just asked her to scrub the floor and watched her closely as she did? ;)
Adventure

Re:

Post by Adventure »

Julian wrote:I especilly liked the scene when she put the shoe cream on Angela's shoes and spilt the jug of cold water on Anne-Marie!
Spilt the jug of cold water on Anne-Marie??? Never heard of such a thing! Unless if the publishers have tampered with my edition of the book.
Almas
Favourite book/series: Six Bad Boys/Adventure/Famous Five/ Find-Outers
Favourite character: Fatty (I have a crush on him!!)

Re: Antoinette, St. Clare's

Post by Almas »

Claudine did throw the jug of water at Anne-Marie, Adventure. Anne-Marie was actually sleepwalking and this incident happens in the last book.

Which edition do you own by the way?

I won the 1988 Armada paperback version.

Almas
Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.

When once the itch of literature comes over a man, nothing can cure it but the scratching of a pen.
Adventure

Post by Adventure »

Just remembered that, Almas. I own the 2000 Egmont paperbacks.
Almas

Post by Almas »

Hmm - they must have changed the text somehow, although I cannot find anything unappropiate about Antoinette throwing the water at Anne-Marie.

I'd recommend you to stick to the older editions, Adventure. Here in my country, they are quite easy to get from second hard bookstores, charity shops or you can just order them from eBay...

Almas
Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.

When once the itch of literature comes over a man, nothing can cure it but the scratching of a pen.
Adventure

Post by Adventure »

Almas, the text isn't changed, my memory changed it!
Almas

Post by Almas »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Moose

Post by Moose »

I love Antoinette but I've always thought it was a bit convenient the way that there just HAPPENED to be things that she could do that would be undetectable at first when she got to Angela's study. What if there had not been .. what if she had just wasted all that subservience and got nothing back for it?
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.
Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion.
I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.
Time to die.

EF
Almas

Post by Almas »

Hi agree with you, Moose but all these ideas came from Enid's fertile imagination!! :D

Moose

Post by Moose »

True and I guess that there comes a point when you have to suspend disbelief. I just always wondered,as a child, whether it might not have wound up backfiring on Antoinette...

Why, incidentally, do you think only Claudine and Antoinette (that we know of) came to St Clares?
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.
Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion.
I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.
Time to die.

EF