Readathon - The Secret of Moon Castle

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: Readathon - The Secret of Moon Castle

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I didn't read the whole set of Jinny books but I seem to remember the stories having a poetical, quite mystical feel to them - different from the more down-to-earth "horse and pony books" I read by several other authors.

Yes, I'd like to know more about Mike's collections. It was/is quite common for children to collect things like shells, fossils, feathers, stamps, cigarette cards, postcards, badges and little models. Enid's younger daughter Imogen collected horse-brasses and models of horses, and in Five on Finniston Farm we're told that Anne collects horse-brasses.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Poppy
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Adventure Series/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Andy, Jack Trent & Diana.

Post by Poppy »

On the subject of the Characters:

Mike: I really like because all through the series he proves himself loyal, faithful, intelligent and kind towards the other children. He does well in Secret Island, being the oldest of the Arnold's. No doubt he felt quite pressured to do the right thing and he copes well through it all and always has a plan. A really nice character but sometimes I think he is overshadowed by Jack.

Peggy: I don't know why but for some reason I always imagined Nora and Peggy being like Enid's own children; Imogen and Gillian. For some reason this is always how I imagined them both. I really like Peggy; she has a mother-like nature but at times you see a hint of childishness which usually comes at a humorous moment like the wicker chair discussion, she seemed quite concerned!

Nora: Is Paul younger than Nora? I always imagined Nora being younger. We don't hear that much about young Nora, at least not in Moon-Castle. I like her, however, from my point of view she is like Penny from the Willow farm books, in the way of being the youngest and trying to be like the older ones.

Jack: I like Jack; he seems an intelligible boy with a vast knowledge of "how to survive on an island alone" which makes him a responsible role model. I don't k ow about anyone else, but I always imagine him being the leader. Though Mike is presumably the same age, Jack always seems to give out the instructions. He does so in a nice way, however so I won't complain too much!

Prince Paul: I can see both sides of the argument on this one. From my point of view, Paul is an innocent boy who could get in your nerves but not in a stuck up, haughty way; just as any one else could. He does seem to have a good sense of humour and doesn't exactly look down on the children. What I am saying is he could be a lot worse. As I said though, I can see both points of view.
"Beware of young men with long hair - that's what dad says, isn't it?"
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

Peggy is the oldest of the Arnold children and the twins Mike and Nora are a year younger. Jack doesn't know how old he is but it seems likely he is a bit older than Peggy. Jack is the undoubted leader once he befriends the others. Until then Mike may act as if he is older as he is the boy who looks out for his sisters.
Last edited by Daisy on 02 Dec 2013, 10:00, edited 1 time in total.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Carlotta King
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Barney, Secret Series, Famous Five
Favourite character: Bill Smugs,Lucy-Ann,Snubby,Mr King,Diana,Kiki,Paul

Post by Carlotta King »

I can see shades of Jack Trent in Mike - he, like Jack, has had to grow up fast and become the 'man' and look after his sisters. Even though Peggy is older than Mike, he would still be the one to look after both girls because that's what boys/men did in those days.

I always imagined Mike and Nora to be about 11 or 12, Peggy a year older, so 12 or 13, and Jack to be about 14 or 15 perhaps. Paul apparently didn't look 'more than 7 or 8' when they first see him in Spiggy Holes, but I always imagined him to be a bit closer to Nora's age, so perhaps about 9 or 10 - perhaps he just looks younger than he is! :)
"Fussy Gussy! Polly, Polly, Polly-gize!"

Society Member
Spitfire
Favourite book/series: Most of the stand-alone stories
Favourite character: Snubby & Mr. Twiddle.

Post by Spitfire »

Carlotta King wrote:and in Secret Mountain when they are in the aeroplane and they hit turbulence - "I feel sick." he said. Ranni promptly presented him with a strong paper bag."What's this for?" asked Paul, in a weak voice, looking greener than ever. "There's nothing in the bag."The other four children shouted with laughter. They felt sorry for Paul, but he really did look comical, peering into the paper bag to see if there was anything there.
Love that one!! :lol: Thanks for posting those snippets, and clarifying when the flat is mentioned. I absolutely must read the rest of the series now!! :)
Anita Bensoussane wrote:It's good to have you in the discussion, Spitfire!
Thank you! :D This thread makes very interesting reading as so many aspects of the book have been commented on, and there have been many comparisons to other Enid Blyton books.
Anita Bensoussane wrote: I read a lot of "horse and pony" books and was particularly fond of Patricia Leitch's "Jinny" books. Jinny was a spirited girl who had a half-wild Arabian horse called Shantih, and they made an invincible team. There were some wonderful descriptions of Jinny and Shantih galloping over the moors at dawn or dusk, enjoying the peace and beauty of an awakening or slumbering world, and I was caught up in the enchantment.

For some reason, horse/pony books completely passed me by in childhood - even though one of my friends read and enjoyed them - which is real shame as your description of the Jinny books sounds very adventurous and appealing! I'll add them to my book wish-list.

I agree that Mike comes across really well in this book. It's rather a shame that Enid Blyton touched on one of his hobbies but never expanded on it - she does the same with Roger in the 'R Mysteries' when she mentions in Rockingdown that he's keen on bird-watching and nature, but never alludes to it again in the series.
Anita Bensoussane wrote:
You really mustn't finish that enormous cake today," said Dimmy. "I'm sure Mrs. Brimming meant it to last us a whole week.""Well, Brimmy will have a whole lot of different ideas about us before the week is up," said Mike.
Mike is a child after my own heart. I'd have said and done exactly the same things if I'd been in the same situation at that age!
I really enjoyed the description of that meal, and read it several times over, just to savour it. It's such an jolly, relaxed little scene - Dimmy presiding, everybody tucking in, Nora making the 'Dimmy/Brimmy' comment and actually getting a second smile from Mrs Brimming! MIke is quite prominent in that scene, and I get the impression that he's eating and talking just as fast as he can, eager to get back to exploring the castle, but enjoying his food too. Dimmy clearly enjoys being with the children, and they hold one another in real affection. I love how Nora tickles the back of Dimmy's neck as she passes her chair!

Dimmy is a fantastic character - worth commenting on at greater length, but I'll wait until I've finished the whole book!
Last edited by Spitfire on 02 Dec 2013, 07:04, edited 1 time in total.
Sarah
Society Member

Even before a word is on my tongue, behold, O Lord, you know it altogether. Psalm 139
Spitfire
Favourite book/series: Most of the stand-alone stories
Favourite character: Snubby & Mr. Twiddle.

Post by Spitfire »

Sorry to post in two halves, but my computer doesn't like it if my posts get too long!
Carlotta King wrote:I always imagined Mike and Nora to be about 11 or 12, Peggy a year older, so 12 or 13, and Jack to be about 14 or 15 perhaps. Paul apparently didn't look 'more than 7 or 8' when they first see him in Spiggy Holes, but I always imagined him to be a bit closer to Nora's age, so perhaps about 9 or 10 - perhaps he just looks younger than he is!
That's pretty much the ages I've always imagined them too - from about ten, in Paul's case, to about fourteen in Jack's.
Poppy wrote:I really like Peggy; she has a mother-like nature but at times you see a hint of childishness which usually comes at a humorous moment like the wicker chair discussion, she seemed quite concerned!

Nora:... We don't hear that much about young Nora, at least not in Moon-Castle. I like her, however, from my point of view she is like Penny from the Willow farm books, in the way of being the youngest and trying to be like the older ones.
Of the two girls, Peggy is definitely the more responsible one, taking on and coping with all sorts of jobs and duties really well in Island, including planning ahead for meals and trying to prepare for winter. Nora comes across as being young and irresponsible, like when she let the hens escape, incurring the wrath of the others. Poor Nora! I really feel for her then - she's only a little girl, after all! But taking on responsibilities and meeting them are very prominent themes in Island and that little incident is required in order for Enid Blyton to follow the lesson through!
Poppy wrote:Prince Paul: I can see both sides of the argument on this one. From my point of view, Paul is an innocent boy who could get in your nerves but not in a stuck up, haughty way; just as any one else could. He does seem to have a good sense of humour and doesn't exactly look down on the children. What I am saying is he could be a lot worse. As I said though, I can see both points of view.
I've never really understood why some people find Paul annoying! Of course, I haven't read most of the series for years, so can only rely on memory of my childhood responses to his character, but I certainly don't feel irritated with him yet in this read ofMoon Castle!

Somebody - was it you, Poppy? - mentioned much earlier in the thread what a fantastic name 'Moon Castle' is. I completely agree, and the title The Secret of Moon Castle conjures up all sorts of expectations which so far, Enid Blyton is living up to in spades!

:)
Sarah
Society Member

Even before a word is on my tongue, behold, O Lord, you know it altogether. Psalm 139
Carlotta King

Post by Carlotta King »

Yes I agree - the name 'Moon Castle' sounds so thrilling and magical. So does the 'village of Moon' - I was fascinated to imagine this strange old ruined village called Moon, that sounded intriguing and mysterious too, even mystical in a way!
Makes me think of cold moonlit nights, and of course the strange glow over the ruined village adds real atmosphere to it too! :)
Spitfire wrote: I absolutely must read the rest of the series now!! :)
I've loved re-reading them this last week or so! I had been reading a lot of Barney and a scattering of Famous Five recently so hadn't read the Secrets for a while but I must confess to re-reading them a lot in the last week. Once I have finished one I start on another and so on. There is wonderful variety in the locations so when I've read Spiggy Holes set in Cornwall, it's fab to visit the Secret Mountain in mysterious Africa, then perhaps jet off to the wild Killimooin mountains, then back to England for spooky old Moon Castle, then down to Cornwall again for Spiggy Holes and coves and the sea. :)

Yes I remember a previous discussion about the children changing character as the books progress - Roger (Barney) never pursues his birdwatching, and Diana (also Barney) is described as being untidy and harum scarum, and also seems to be a bit of a madam at the start of Rockingdown, when she complains that there will be no parties or tennis and that she will feel 'buried alive' in the country - whereas when the series progresses she is a lovely girl with manners, she likes nature, and turns out to be sensible and kind and likes spending time with Miss Pepper. Diana is one of my favourite girl characters.
I would have been very interested to hear about Mike's collections. I wonder what he collected - perhaps marbles, coins, pens, maybe even stamps. In Spiggy Holes he is heard to be talking about collecting shells.

Peggy seems quite grown-up in some scenes; like Mike she has had to grow up, and while Mike was the 'man', Peggy would have been the 'mother' figure and would have comforted Nora, sorted out meals (probably) and generally looked after her siblings in a motherly way.
But, as Poppy said, it's nice to see her fun childlike side come out now and again, like when she talks about the wicker chair, and when she fidgets in the car and annoys Dimmy! :)
I suppose when the Arnolds returned and the children were reunited with them, they could go back to being children again.

I agree about the Jinny books - if you ever see any cheap then treat yourself - they are well worth it and very good reads! :)

Society Member
Nick
Favourite book/series: Five on a Hike Together/Secret Seven
Favourite character: Dick & Susie

Post by Nick »

Well, my copy finally arrived on Friday almost 3 weeks since I order it :evil:

I haven't finished the story as yet, the children are just about to move into the Castle, and I'm sure I worked out who the baddie was on page 30 but I'm really enjoying it so far. An early observation that I have made is that the Arnold parents seem more real than say those of the FF and SS. I found the exchange between Mr and Mrs Arnold when discussing his top secret test flight quite touching and their relationship seemed a lot more real than say the relationship that exists between Quinton and Fanny.

I can't wait to start exploring the Castle and the Village with the children not to mention read everyone eases reviews and thoughts when I have finished it!
Society Member
Carlotta King

Post by Carlotta King »

Yes I noticed that about the Arnolds too. Mrs Arnold wanted to sit with her husband and they talked together about the flight etc, and she wanted to go with him to bring him luck, and they go flying together, they seem to have a very warm relationship, much warmer than say, the Lyntons, or the Kirrins.

Society Member
floragord
Favourite book/series: THE FARAWAY TREE SERIES
Favourite character: Silky

Post by floragord »

Spitfire wrote:I absolutely must read the rest of the series now!! :)
The series is going to be my Christmas (possibly into the New Year :D) read, can't wait!! :wink:
"Its a magic wood!" said Fanny suddenly.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Carlotta King wrote:Yes I agree - the name 'Moon Castle' sounds so thrilling and magical. So does the 'village of Moon' - I was fascinated to imagine this strange old ruined village called Moon, that sounded intriguing and mysterious too, even mystical in a way!
Makes me think of cold moonlit nights, and of course the strange glow over the ruined village adds real atmosphere to it too! :)
As a child I shivered with anticipation when the deserted village was first mentioned, yearning to explore it with the children. As it is, we don't get to see it in detail as it's the mines that are important to the story, rather than the village itself. I'd like to have lingered there longer, drinking in the eeriness and trying to picture the community who once called it home.
Spitfire wrote:I've never really understood why some people find Paul annoying! Of course, I haven't read most of the series for years, so can only rely on memory of my childhood responses to his character, but I certainly don't feel irritated with him yet in this read of Moon Castle!
It's a long time since I read the rest of the series (except Island, which I read for the readathon two or three years ago) but I do recall being taken aback by the fact that Paul, a boy of nine or ten, is allowed to issue orders to Pilescu and even threaten to sack him if Pilescu doesn't obey him. I'm thinking of The Secret Mountain, when Paul commands Pilescu to fly him and the other children to Africa:
"I say - suppose your pilot refuses to do what you tell him?" said Jack. "I'm sure an English pilot would just laugh and tell us to go back to school and learn our tables or something!"

"Pilescu is my man," said the little Prince, putting his small chin into the air, and looking very royal all of a sudden. "He has sworn an oath to me to obey me all my life. He has to do what I say."

"Suppose he tells your father?" said Mike.

"Then I will no longer have him as my man," said Paul, fiercely. And that will break his heart, for he loves me and honours me. I am his prince, and one day I will be his king."
Pilescu arrives, deeply concerned at what Paul is asking him to do.
"Little Prince, I cannot believe that you wish me to do what you said on the telephone. It is not possible. I cannot do it."

Prince Paul flew into a rage, and stamped on the floor, his face bright red, and his dark eyes flashing in anger.

"Pilescu! How dare you talk to me like this? My father, the king, told me that you must do my smallest wish. I will not have you for my man. I will send you back to Baronia to my father and ask him for a better man."

"Little Prince, I held you in my arms when you were born, and I promised then that you should be my lord," said Pilescu, in a troubled voice. "I shall never leave you, now that your father has sent me to be with you. But do not ask me to do what I think may bring danger to you."

"Pilescu! Shall I, the king's son, think of danger!" cried the little Prince. "These are my friends you see here. They are in trouble and I have promised to help them. Do you not remember how they saved me when I was kidnapped from my country of Baronia? Now it is my turn to help them. You will do what I say."
Paul makes out that it is Pilescu's duty to bow to the little prince's wildest demands even against his better judgement - otherwise Paul can have him dismissed! Yet at the same time Paul acknowledges that his father the king would not approve of the plan and says that he must not get to hear of it. The prince's desire to help his friends is laudable, as is his bravery, but the way he addresses Pilescu is disrespectful - he comes across as spoilt and manipulative. Still, Paul has a lot of good in him and will surely mature and learn to temper his imperiousness over the coming years.
Spitfire wrote:Dimmy is a fantastic character - worth commenting on at greater length, but I'll wait until I've finished the whole book!
I look forward to hearing your thoughts!

Society Member
Poppy
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Adventure Series/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Andy, Jack Trent & Diana.

Post by Poppy »

Glad you have received your book at last, Nick. Hope you enjoy it. :D

Gosh, I didn't know Peggy was the eldest out of all the children (and Mike?) Usually it is always a boy that is the eldest in Blyton's books, presumably so they can take charge of the rest. With Peggy she doesn't show any more responsibility than the rest except perhaps in Secret Island when she is in charge of feeding the others. But then again, the eldest girl always gets these duties. That's probably why I have not noticed Peggy being the eldest, anyway.
Anita Bensoussane wrote:I do recall being taken aback by the fact that Paul, a boy of nine or ten, is allowed to issue orders to Pilescu and even threaten to sack him if Pilescu doesn't obey him. I'm thinking of The Secret Mountain, when Paul commands Pilescu to fly him and the other children to Africa:
Yes, those are the main reasons, why I find Paul rather bossy and dare I say slightly stuck up. Of course that is nobody's fault; he is of course a Prince and must get used to acting so if he is to become King! It does seem funny to think that young Paul would soon become King of his own country! Paul's personality mainly comes into view in Secret Mountain when he is ordering his men to fly him to Africa to find the children's parents. Prince Paul is probably one of the characters I'd most like to meet from Blyton books. I think he is very well described but I would love to learn more about his interesting life.
Nick wrote:An early observation that I have made is that the Arnold parents seem more real than say those of the FF and SS. I found the exchange between Mr and Mrs Arnold when discussing his top secret test flight quite touching and their relationship seemed a lot more real than say the relationship that exists between Quinton and Fanny.
I noticed this warm friendship between the couple, too. Fanny and Quentin both seem too busy with their separate lives to stay up together and talk. I suppose I could say the same about the Lynton's too. The FFO couples also seem quite... well, I don't know. They always seem to be out playing bridge or something... The special bond between the two Arnold's might of course be because the two work together in The White Swallow and both know what each other are talking about, but I think the two are well suited anyhow.
"Beware of young men with long hair - that's what dad says, isn't it?"
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I know I've asked this before, but I can't remember what you all said! How do you pronounce Pilescu? Is it Pile-skew or Pill-es-cue?
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Pil-ess-coo for me.

Society Member
Carlotta King

Post by Carlotta King »

I always call him Pill-es-cue. :)

Society Member