Readathon - The Secret of Moon Castle

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Poppy
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Adventure Series/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Andy, Jack Trent & Diana.

Re: Readathon - The Secret of Moon Castle

Post by Poppy »

How pretty, Anita! It looks like a gingerbread house! :D
"Beware of young men with long hair - that's what dad says, isn't it?"
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
Carlotta King
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Barney, Secret Series, Famous Five
Favourite character: Bill Smugs,Lucy-Ann,Snubby,Mr King,Diana,Kiki,Paul

Post by Carlotta King »

Yes, that's really lovely Anita - Poppy is right, it looks like something you could eat! :D Reminds me of Hansel and Gretel! :)
"Fussy Gussy! Polly, Polly, Polly-gize!"

Society Member
Carlotta King

Post by Carlotta King »

I've been wondering where Ranni was staying when Paul was in England.
He brings the luggage in to the Arnolds' house for the children but then he is described as 'coming round with the car' when they go to the castle - unless that was just a term for going outside to get the car and bringing it round to the front door, but it just sounded as if he had driven round from somewhere else!

Society Member
Poppy
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Adventure Series/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Andy, Jack Trent & Diana.

Post by Poppy »

Ahh, yes, that is a good question. I always asumed he lived in Baronia but perhaps he had a place of his own in England? I don't think we get any suggestions from the book to where he lived. He always seemed on hand though and very fond of Paul so I don't think he can have lived far away from "his little lord"! Did he not live in the palace in Baronia?
"Beware of young men with long hair - that's what dad says, isn't it?"
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
Carlotta King

Post by Carlotta King »

Yes I think he definitely lived in the palace with the family when they were there. He and Pilescu were obviously very important to the King as well because in Killimooin, when they all sit down to eat, Ranni and Pilescu are both there, one behind Paul's chair, and one behind the King's (can't remember which one was behind which!)
Perhaps Ranni did just stay with the Arnolds when Paul was there, as he did seem to be on hand when they wanted to go and see the castle for the first time.
'Coming round with the car' maybe just meant he went outside and fetched it from some garage or shed or something at the side of the Arnold's house, as we know they live in a house that has gates and that they 'have tea brought in' so that would suggest a servant(s) and a fairly big house (they were obviously very rich, being famous pilots).

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I was puzzled at the beginning of the book when Peggy and Nora were waiting at the gate for Ranni and the boys, but when the car arrived they got in it. "Where are they going?" I thought. Then I realised the drive must be so long that it was worth Peggy and Nora getting into the car to return to the house! As I read, I had been picturing the gate of a house where I lived as a child. And at that house it was only a few steps from the gate to the front door! It struck me that we come very close to returning to our childhood when re-reading much-loved books from our youth! In many cases the same images come flooding back, and we picture things in exactly the same way as we did then. Sometimes while reading an old favourite I suddenly realise that the kitchen in the story looks (in my mind) like the kitchen of a childhood friend, and that it always has done, or that a character's bedroom resembles a bedroom I shared with my sister when we were girls.

Changing the topic, I decided to take another look at the 1990s New Zealand film of The Secret of Moon Castle, recalling that it departed from the book in many places. It was quite fun to watch but didn't feel very Blyton-like.

*** SPOILER WARNING FOR THE NEW ZEALAND TV SERIES OF THE SECRET BOOKS, ESPECIALLY THE SECRET OF MOON CASTLE ***

Mrs. Arnold died some time ago, and cool dude Captain Arnold (known as Mr. Arnold, Thaddeus or Thad in the series) has been struggling to come to terms with the idea of having a relationship with feisty journalist Charlotte (Charley). On being asked to write an article about Irish castles, Charley books herself, "Thad", the children and their dog Prince into an Irish castle (Moon Castle) for a fortnight. Nora is Laura, Prince Paul doesn't appear in the story at all, and five minutes into the film Mike decides to go off to a horse fair instead of going to the castle! A boy named Tom who was bound for the horse fair joins the trip to Moon Castle instead! All rather odd - I assume the actor playing Mike wasn't able to take part in the filming at the castle for some reason! Dimmy, by the way, has morphed into a trendy young woman named Ruby, and Jack is formally adopted by Mr. Arnold at the beginning of this episode. Throughout the series, because of the New Zealand accents, Peggy comes out as "Piggy"!

Mrs. Brimming has turned into Mrs. O' Moon (or "Ma"), and she and her son (Finn, not Guy) live alone at the castle. They're descendants of Finbar O' Moon who built the castle over 600 years ago, and they keep the tower locked (much to the children's annoyance and curiosity) because they're using it as a laboratory to brew an elixir of eternal youth which was supposedly discovered by Finbar. Mrs. O' Moon is obsessed with the idea of looking young - she says that her husband left her when her face became wrinkled. The elixir has not yet been perfected and she and Finn need unsuspecting victims to try it on...

We have the locked tower, the portrait with glowing eyes, the twanging instruments and the leaping books - but there's a twist that isn't in the original story (along with many other events!) A few little touches are recognisable, including a game of cards and a pillow fight which leads to a pillow being thrown out of the window, but the whole thing is really over the top and quite unbelievable. Finn looks like a cross between Diarmuid Gavin and Russell Grant, while his mother looks like a cross between Dolly Parton and Barbara Windsor!

One thing that does appear to have been taken from Enid Blyton (but from other books rather than from The Secret of Moon Castle) is the repeated phrase that you should face up to things which frighten you. That idea is used in several different contexts in the film.

Quite entertaining as I said, but I'd rather have seen a period adaptation that stuck more closely to the book!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Carlotta King

Post by Carlotta King »

I agree with that - I still picture things now as I did back when I read the books as a child. All the locations for the Adventure series, Secret series, Famous Five, Barney, Secret Seven etc etc are exactly the same in my mind today as they were 20 years ago. :)

Crikey the TV adaptation of Moon Castle sounds very different and modern! :shock:
It all sounds far too trendy and modern for my liking, I like the period feel of the books, and would love to see a proper version with all the proper characters in it. Moon Castle has some wonderful characters I think - the three strange sisters, the dark, burly Guy, Prince Paul, Dimmy, Ranni - it would be fab to have a proper period version of it!

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

That film sounds utterly dreadful. I am now quite glad that I have not seen it.

As regards Ranni's living arrangements I too assumed that he lived with the Arnolds. He is always utterly insistent upon being near to Paul (remember that he firmly asked Dimmy to ensure this in the castle) so I cannot see him lodging down in the village or whatever while his little master stayed elsewhere. Bring the car around smacks to me of Downton Abbey style living where the chauffeur would literally bring the car around from the garages at the back to the front entrance. However I had never pictured the Arnolds as living in such a large house. I am pretty sure that earlier books have them living in smaller houses and even a flat on one occasion.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Carlotta King

Post by Carlotta King »

Yes, that's what I was thinking re the car, that he must have gone round to fetch it and brought it to the front of the house.

Regarding the flat, it is mentioned quite a few times, but I always assumed that they had the flat as well as their big house, probably for convenience if Captain Arnold was about to go travelling or something - the flat would be an easy place to stay for a night or two before he went or when he came back.
I must admit I never really imagined what the Arnold's house might be like, as it is never really described, but going on the fact that they are both world famous pilots, I figured it must be quite a big place!

Society Member
Spitfire
Favourite book/series: Most of the stand-alone stories
Favourite character: Snubby & Mr. Twiddle.

Post by Spitfire »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:Well done on getting your assignment finished, Spitfire!
Carlotta King wrote:well done on completing your assignment!
Thank you both! It's such a good feeling when it's finally submitted! :D
Carlotta King wrote:What a coincidence that we had the same jewel box, Spitfire! It's beautiful isn't it, I adored it when I was a little girl, because I loved anything to do with fairies and dancing! I had a jigsaw puzzle of fairies at the bottom of the garden and the pieces were coated with a sort of iridescent covering so their wings shone and the spiders' webs and things were glistening too!
The mirror in mine was square, not oval, but other than that it was identical. I loved it, and have often wished that I'd kept it! Your jigsaw puzzle sounds lovely too - it's wonderful how much our imaginations can be inspired by pictures and textures! :) I loved dancing too - the concept, rather than the reality of - and avidly read the Drina books by Jean Estoril.
Carlotta King wrote:I've been wondering where Ranni was staying when Paul was in England.
I would agree with Lucky Star that he surely would have been staying in the house and 'bringing the car round' was just the way of saying that he brought it to the front door from the garage (or wherever it was kept).

So far, I'm up to the part where the children have discovered that the tower door is still locked, and covered by a tall chest! They move the chest with some effort and Peggy rattles the handle and shouts at Guy through the keyhole in temper! It's been ages since I read any of the Secret titles since the Island readathon a year or two back. Who would have thought that the steady, sensible Peggy would shout brazenly through the door like that!

I'm LOVING this re-read. I got the full set a few years ago (a box -set of 1980 Armada editions) but only skimmed through one or two of them before putting them on the shelf, so many of the details feel quite fresh to me - and it's just delightful!!!

There is such a lovely 'feel' to this book - a happy excitement that is present from the very first page, and only strengthened by the anticipation of castle-searching, paying an initial visit to Moon Castle, and then the rush to pack and the second drive to Moon Castle. (The car journey and lunch in the hotel at Bolingblow, with the waitress's tales are important in building the readers' anticipation).

The children are all so nice to each other - no George-like sulks or Mannering-style squabbles! We don't really go inside their heads very much, but we get to watch them exploring and planning with one another in a familiar, joking, warm kind of way. I've previously thought that the characters of this series were fairly two-dimensional (to borrow a much-vaunted phrase! :roll: ) - but I really don't feel that it matters that much, since the story is so full in itself, and they are given enough individuality to stand apart from one another. I like the interactions between Prince Paul and the others - he's not the least bit stuck-up - he's just a boy, who happens also to be a Prince:

"The drawers of those great chests are so enormous that I could almost get into one!" said Paul, coming into the girls' room, which was between his and the boys'. "Are you nearly ready? I had much more to unpack than you and I've finished already!"
"Well, we'd have finished sooner if we'd just thrown everything higgledy-piggledy into drawers, like you have," said Peggy. "Get off those jerseys, Paul! There's enough carpet to stand on without treading on my clothes!"
"Don't be so fussy," said Paul. "What time's tea? I could do with some!"

I've seen Prince Paul criticised on these forums sometimes, and have got the impression that some readers find him irritating? I've never found that, and like his character, whether he's being haughty and princely, or careless and boyish!

Anyway... I'm off to do two hours' study, then return to Moon Castle hopefully. *Picks up said book and puts regretfully but resolutely aside...*

:)
Sarah
Society Member

Even before a word is on my tongue, behold, O Lord, you know it altogether. Psalm 139
Carlotta King

Post by Carlotta King »

Yes I think the mirror in mine was square too, I had forgotten that until you said. :)
I remember the Drina books too! :D

I totally agree that there is a lovely feel to the book. It's so exciting choosing the castle and knowing that they will be going there soon! I think that the beginning of the book (where the children are at home for a few days rather than being thrown into the adventure straight away) really adds to the excitement of knowing that they will be going to stay at the castle in a week or so.

I am so glad that you like Prince Paul! I was toying with the idfea of starting a Prince Paul thread this afternoon, as I have been reading up on him on the forum and nobody seems to like him very much! I really like him. A lot of people seem to find him annoying but I never have.
He is described as being very friendly and good-natured, and I love the way that he is described as behaving completely different at school to the way he has to behave back at home in the palace. (in The Secret of Killimooin)
"...I am a prince there, and I have to behave always with much dignity. I behave differently here."
"I should just think you do!" said Mike, staring at him. "Who waded through the duck pond to get his ball, and came out covered in mud?"
"And who tore his coat to rags squeezing through a hawthorn hedge, trying to get away from an angry cow?" asked Jack.
Paul seems like a lot of fun. He is described as being a terrible giggler, and goes off into fits of laughter while trying to teach the others to speak Baronian. I have read that some people think he is stuck-up but I don't find him to be so; he can be a little imperious when giving orders or talking proudly about his country, but to my mind that is just normal, after all he is a prince (and the eldest too, so on his way to the throne!) :)
I'd like him for a friend! :D

Society Member
Spitfire
Favourite book/series: Most of the stand-alone stories
Favourite character: Snubby & Mr. Twiddle.

Post by Spitfire »

Carlotta King wrote:I'd like him for a friend!
Same here. He comes across as being a lot of fun, if a little thoughtless and irresponsible at times, especially in comparison to Jack - (who after all is older and has had to look after himself). As you say, the imperious tone which he uses at times is hardly surprising considering his position, but he doesn't expect the other children to kow-tow to him - and they'd soon put him in his place if he did! He's also described as having splendid manners, bowing and speaking politely to the adults - and I like how that contrasts with him treading on Peggy's jerseys when he is just being himself! (I can just imagine one of my brothers coming into the room to speak to me and stepping on clothes or books without thinking. Not that I was an untidy child...)

I seem to remember from previous books that he has a bit of a temper if he doesn't get his own way? I can't remember which. It just adds to the interest though, as it's amusing in the way that Ranni and Pilescu handle him - with firmness, but real love. I can't remember if any of the other children sit on him (metaphorically) when he gets difficult.

By the way, in which books is it mentioned that the Arnolds have a flat? That's kinda interesting, I don't remember anything about that at all. I would be inclined to agree that it was possibly a flat they kept for convenience when Captain Arnold was away working and perhaps Mrs. Arnold went to stay there to be close to him or something.
Sarah
Society Member

Even before a word is on my tongue, behold, O Lord, you know it altogether. Psalm 139
Carlotta King

Post by Carlotta King »

From what I remember there are a couple of times when Paul wants to race off to do something at once and the other children tell him not to be silly because they need to plan things, (I'm thinking of Secret Mountain where he wants to fly off straight away to look for the Arnolds) -
"When shall we go?" said Paul, his big dark eyes shining brightly. "Now - this very minute?"
"Don't be an idiot, Paul." said Jack. "We've got to get a few things together."
(Paul) "Oh do let's go and find the Secret Mountain at once, this very minute!"
"Don't be an idiot, Paul." said Mike, giving him a push. The little Prince was very excitable, and Mike and Jack often had to stop him when he wanted to rush off at once and do something. "Be quiet and listen to Ranni!"
- but I don't ever recall the children getting cross with him, and they certainly never bicker with him or fall out the way George does with Julian et al, or Dinah and Philip/the Trents.
He's just young and excitable, and who out of all of us hasn't wanted to rush off and do something right away when we were children, only to be told to calm down and wait a bit! :)

The Arnolds' flat is mentioned in both Mountain and Killimooin.
Half term came, asnd the four of them went to London, where they were to stay for three days at their parents' flat. Miss Dimmy, an old friend of theirs, was to look after them for that short time. Prince Paul was to join them that evening.
He (a porter) got a taxi for the children and they all crowded into it. They were to go to their parents' flat for the night.
It was a very happy family party that sat down to a big tea at the flat.
That definitely sounds to me like a second residence, and, with their money and fame, not at all unusual.

I too like the part when he treads on Peggy's jerseys and she tells him get off them, and he tells her not to be so fussy, then immediately asks when tea will be! Just like a normal little boy, hehe! :)

Other Paul moments that really make me smile are in Spiggy Holes when they are trying to get to sleep in the boat and an owl hoots -
An owl hooted in a trembling voice not far off. "Oooooooooo! Oo-oo-oo-oo!"
Paul sat up in fright. "Who's that?" he said.
Mike pulled him down. "It's only a bird called an owl, silly!" he said.
and in Secret Mountain when they are in the aeroplane and they hit turbulence -
"I feel sick." he said. Ranni promptly presented him with a strong paper bag.
"What's this for?" asked Paul, in a weak voice, looking greener than ever. "There's nothing in the bag."
The other four children shouted with laughter. They felt sorry for Paul, but he really did look comical, peering into the paper bag to see if there was anything there.

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

It's good to have you in the discussion, Spitfire!
Spitfire wrote:I loved dancing too - the concept, rather than the reality of - and avidly read the Drina books by Jean Estoril.
I was like that with horse-riding. I read a lot of "horse and pony" books and was particularly fond of Patricia Leitch's "Jinny" books. Jinny was a spirited girl who had a half-wild Arabian horse called Shantih, and they made an invincible team. There were some wonderful descriptions of Jinny and Shantih galloping over the moors at dawn or dusk, enjoying the peace and beauty of an awakening or slumbering world, and I was caught up in the enchantment. I also loved to watch horses galloping in TV series like The Adventures of Black Beauty or films like The Black Stallion. They looked so majestic. Yet I don't remember wishing I could have riding lessons, or longing for a horse of my own.
Spitfire wrote:The children are all so nice to each other - no George-like sulks or Mannering-style squabbles! We don't really go inside their heads very much, but we get to watch them exploring and planning with one another in a familiar, joking, warm kind of way. I've previously thought that the characters of this series were fairly two-dimensional (to borrow a much-vaunted phrase! :roll: ) - but I really don't feel that it matters that much, since the story is so full in itself, and they are given enough individuality to stand apart from one another.
I feel the same, Spitfire. The Arnolds, Jack and Paul are such a warm and friendly group of children, full of jolly banter, and I enjoyed their natural-sounding, lively conversations. Although we don't get a strong sense of their individuality in this book, I did find myself warming to Mike because he came across as a book-loving boy who was eager to see evidence of supernatural happenings and loved his food:
"I'd love to live in a castle where books leap out of bookshelves. I'd say, 'Hey there - is there a good mystery story waiting for me? Well, jump out, please, and I'll catch you!'"
"Well, I'm taking a few books of my own," said Mike. "Those old books in the library might be too dull to read. I'm taking my favourite adventure books."
Mike wanted to open one of the suit-cases, and put in two books he suddenly longed to take at the last moment.
(Talking about the superstitious tales about the castle) "I agree with you. It's just tales. Well - we'll soon find out. Personally I'd like something to happen."
"Mother! What a lovely smell!" said Mike, sniffing. "Buttered toast - and hot scones!"
"Quite right," said his mother. "You've probably forgotten that you asked me to have them for tea as soon as you got home these holidays - though why you took it into your head to ask for such things on a hot July day I don't know."
(Actually, my Armada paperback mistakenly has "You're probably forgotten...")
"You really mustn't finish that enormous cake today," said Dimmy. "I'm sure Mrs. Brimming meant it to last us a whole week."
"Well, Brimmy will have a whole lot of different ideas about us before the week is up," said Mike.
Mike is a child after my own heart. I'd have said and done exactly the same things if I'd been in the same situation at that age!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Carlotta King

Post by Carlotta King »

I liked the Jinny books too. I had an omnibus with a dark green cover with a photo of Jinny and Shantih in the heather, and the two books in it were The Summer Riders and Night Of The Red Horse. :)

Yes, Mike does sound a very nice lad doesn't he - fun, never grumpy, loves his food! In Spiggy Holes he is described as 'liking to make collections of all kinds of things' - it's a shame we didn't hear more of this idea, as I'm sure he would have collected some interesting things!

Society Member