Five Go Off in a Caravan

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Poppy
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Adventure Series/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Andy, Jack Trent & Diana.

Re: Five Go Off in a Caravan

Post by Poppy »

Interesting points, Stephen. I know, now, even if there was half the traffic on the roads my mum wouldn't allow me or my brother and sister go off on our for a holiday anywhere, never kind in two horse drawn caravans, but I think that is one of Enid's qualities and most inspirational aspects; she convinces the reader.
"Beware of young men with long hair - that's what dad says, isn't it?"
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I remember reading the book when I was about eight and thinking it was a marvellous idea to spend the summer holidays trundling along country lanes in a horse-drawn caravan, going wherever the fancy took you. I imagined that my sister and I would be perfectly capable of doing that once we were about twelve and thirteen!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Nick
Favourite book/series: Five on a Hike Together/Secret Seven
Favourite character: Dick & Susie

Post by Nick »

I'm just re-reading Five Go Off in a Caravan and I'm struggling to find a single chapter that I enjoy more that The Way to Merran lake.

The opening paragraph conjures up visions of a blissful few days, rambling down country lanes in the house on wheels. Anne is doing what she does and enjoys best, basically ensuring that the 5 are looked after. Julian's leadership is on show without being overbearing as he sometimes can be. There is a little humour and we get clues as to who the baddies are without it all being obvious for the first time reader.

I love how Enid draws out the arrival at the hills. Just when we think the 5 are there we are told that they are still too far away and we get another wonderful stop on a farm, with a jolly farm girl and some decent food. When we do arrive, we are treated to a wonderful description of the location and the 5 do what everyone wants to do when they see a lake on a hot day and go for a dip.

Is there a finer chapter in any of her tales?
Society Member
Carlotta King
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Barney, Secret Series, Famous Five
Favourite character: Bill Smugs,Lucy-Ann,Snubby,Mr King,Diana,Kiki,Paul

Post by Carlotta King »

I love this too!
This book was never one of my favourites as a child, not sure why, but as I've got older and re-read it quite a bit, it has really grown on me and I re-read it quite a lot now!

Those descriptions of the lovely weather, and the wayside streams, and the caravans ambling along, and the picnics and food etc, and then the description of the gorgeous lake and that wonderful dell where they park the caravans, it's wonderful, and it's one of my favourite things to read on a nice afternoon when I curl up with my kindle! :)
"Fussy Gussy! Polly, Polly, Polly-gize!"

Society Member
Poppy
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Adventure Series/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Andy, Jack Trent & Diana.

Post by Poppy »

This book does contain some of Enid's strongest description, in my opinion. Absolutely wonderful portrayal of nature and the countryside as the children journey to their camping destination. Furthermore, the extra characters are very strong and memorable in this book too, as well as some of the animals, all contrasting to make an excellent read. Has a great mystery to it, too. My old Dragon copy is a regular visitor to our garden in the summertime. I always remember taking it on holiday once, too, and reading it in a cupboard with a torch in our caravan!
"Beware of young men with long hair - that's what dad says, isn't it?"
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
Maggie Knows

Post by Maggie Knows »

Nick wrote:I'm just re-reading Five Go Off in a Caravan and I'm struggling to find a single chapter that I enjoy more that The Way to Merran lake.

The opening paragraph conjures up visions of a blissful few days, rambling down country lanes in the house on wheels. Anne is doing what she does and enjoys best, basically ensuring that the 5 are looked after. Julian's leadership is on show without being overbearing as he sometimes can be. There is a little humour and we get clues as to who the baddies are without it all being obvious for the first time reader.

I love how Enid draws out the arrival at the hills. Just when we think the 5 are there we are told that they are still too far away and we get another wonderful stop on a farm, with a jolly farm girl and some decent food. When we do arrive, we are treated to a wonderful description of the location and the 5 do what everyone wants to do when they see a lake on a hot day and go for a dip.

Is there a finer chapter in any of her tales?
I agree 100%... I really love this chapter too !!!
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Yes, I always hoped they would never find the circus camp, I loved the opening chapters so.
Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Same here. It is one of Enid's most idyllic scenes and contrasts significantly with the nastiness of the villains which is to come.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Petermax

Post by Petermax »

The attraction of Caravan for me is that the action took place away from Kirrin Cottage. The Five were out of their comfort zone and into new territory at long last.;-) The opening chapters certainly place wonderful images in the minds eye. I love Dick's brief reference to a little book that seems to contain a list of friendly farmers who will provide camping facilities and fresh food, it shows that a certain amount of planning had taken place and that the Five had not just set off at random.

Time methinks to dig out my trusty Hodder & Stoughton 1953 seventh impression for a re-read! :-)
Deej
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Deej »

I love this book - Tiger Dan and Lou have to rate amongst the best villains in the FF series!
Maggie Knows

Post by Maggie Knows »

Petermax wrote:The attraction of Caravan for me is that the action took place away from Kirrin Cottage. The Five were out of their comfort zone and into new territory at long last.;-)
It only dawned on me recently that my longstanding complaint about the declining role of George in the series is directly linked to the fact that relatively few adventures take place at Kirrin after book 9.

At Kirrin, George is central to everything that goes on (e.g. its up to her whether visits to the Island take place or not), but when the Five are elsewhere Julian is in charge and George is subordinated. This pattern started in the Caravan story when prior to setting off Julian's father makes it clear that Julian has the responsibility for the others, and they have to do what he commands.
yarvelling
Favourite book/series: Adventure, FF, and Barney/R series
Favourite character: Loony and Kiki

Post by yarvelling »

An interesting and accurate observation! Though it may also have applied to "Five Go Off To Camp" too (off teh top of my head).
This was always a fun and lovely excursion for the Five that resulted in a dramatic and quite dangerous adventure..... a definite page-turner! The characters from the circus were well drawn; Nobby was a good lad, but Tiger Dan and Lou were immediately nasty and you knew they were behind whatever was going on; a well sustained mystery, and a very enjoyable, thrilling adventure too!! :)
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Yes, a very valid and interesting thought, MK. I had never considered that, but I am sure you are right. If George was a fish, then Kirrin would be her water.

I would have loved more stories to be based at the other parent's house. It is unbelievable to me that we don't even know their names. George never speaks of/to them as Aunt or Uncle so-and-so, and apart from the widely believed (to use an Isabiryeism) Barnard slip-up.
Society Member
Owl's Dene

Post by Owl's Dene »

I have just re-read this book and here are a few interesting points.
1. Being someone with equestrian knowledge I would wonder if the ponies, don't think there were large horses, would be up to pulling those large caravans plus the children for long periods if at all. The pony Dobby had been retired from work and turned out in a field, he would have not been fit enough to take the task. There is no mention of feed for the ponies, grass grabbed at night wouldn't have had the nutritional value in late summer, we know it's late summer as plums are ripe. They would have struggled carrying oats and bran for two ponies for a fortnight in the caravans, remember this is before pony nuts were invented.
2. I am not convinced that Nobby would have just left the circus and moved in with the Mackies so quickly. Wouldn't the circus owner and the other members of the circus wanted to have kept him in their fold?
3. The letter/telegram from the Kirrins/Barnards confuses me. they were away "in the North" so where did Julian send it? Surely they would have contacted the police or travelled down straight away rather than saying they had better come home?
Jake
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George

Post by Jake »

IIRC It is mentioned that is August when the adventure takes place (so late Summer). I agree it is a bit odd that Nobby suddenly decided to leave the circus, remember Tiger Dan was only his guardian anyway (he is not really my uncle), so why could one of the other circus folk not have adopted Nobby in a similar way (he was fourteen anyway - not a baby).