Five Go Off in a Caravan

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Carlotta King
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Barney, Secret Series, Famous Five
Favourite character: Bill Smugs,Lucy-Ann,Snubby,Mr King,Diana,Kiki,Paul

Re: Five Go Off in a Caravan

Post by Carlotta King »

I wonder why Enid made Peter out to be overbearing and petty?
Normally her boy characters are kind and caring - Jack and Philip are kind, nature-loving boys who look after their sisters, Julian is sensible and looks out for Anne, Dick is fun and loves a joke, Roger looks after Diana and Barney looks out for all of them, Andy looks out for Jill and Mary, Jack and Mike are kind to Nora and Peggy, etc etc, but Peter is so very different from all these other boys!

I wonder if, when Peter delegates the 'important' jobs to the boys, it is because he is thinking about the girls' safety, or whether he just thinks that girls aren't good enough to do the really important things! :lol:

In The Secret Seven, Jack suggests going to the house to watch who arrives at night, but he says it in a way that makes out that he is caring about the girls and not wanting them to be frightened -
"I've thought of something." said Jack at last. "It's a bit frightening though. We couldn't let the girls into it."
But then when Pam asks if they can go too, Peter puts his foot down
"Can't we girls come too?" asked Pam.
"I don't want to!" said Barbara.
"Well you can't come, anyhow." said Peter. "That's absolutely certain. Boys only are in the performance tonight!"
and sounds rather pompous! :)
"Fussy Gussy! Polly, Polly, Polly-gize!"

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I definitely think Peter is bossy for the sake of it most of the time, and that he uses the girls' safety as an excuse for leaving them out, rather than being genuinely concerned. In one of the books, Susie has an aeroplane, and if I remember correctly, Peter is really arrogant about the fact that a mere girl should have such a wonderful toy, and hardly lets her play with it.

I always feel that Peter is several years younger than Julian, so I wonder if age has anything to do with it?
Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

Katharine wrote: I always feel that Peter is several years younger than Julian, so I wonder if age has anything to do with it?
I was about to make a similar comment. The Secret Seven I feel are still at junior school - I doubt if any are much more than 10, turning 11. Maybe as he got older Peter would become more tolerant and generous. He certainly seems to feel the importance of his position as leader very keenly!
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Carlotta King

Post by Carlotta King »

I wonder if he would grow a bit older and look back and think "My word, I was a pompous so-and-so back then!" and cringe about it, or if he would think "My word, I was a good leader for that bunch of sissies!" and look terribly smug about it! :lol:

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

I'm afraid I think Peter would probably have turned out to be a pompous idiot. He would probably have run for mayor and then become one of those people who walks around their village telling everyone to tidy their gardens and how to present their homes so that the village looks perfect! Something big in the local golf club as well probably.

The fact that he was so bossy so young indicates to me that it was ingrained and thus he would be quite unlikely to get out of the habit in later years. He would never have moved away either as his power would depend upon everyone knowing and slightly fearing him.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Maggie Knows

Post by Maggie Knows »

Susie is better than the Secret Seven team all added together if you ask me... :wink:

Anyway, still going strong with this story; just got to the bit where Julian hides on the roof of the van....
Lucky Star

Post by Lucky Star »

Maggie Knows wrote: Anyway, still going strong with this story; just got to the bit where Julian hides on the roof of the van....
That never rang true for me. Caravans are not all that high. Anyone walking towards one would clearly see a person lying on the roof. A good plot device maybe but unrealistic.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Deej
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Deej »

Carlotta, the Secret Seven book you are referring to is Puzzle for the Secret Seven when the children decide to go on a night time adventure to investigate a noise they heard near where the shepherd Matt lived and Benny and his mum and dad.

I think the girls being left out of mysteries is a mix of the boys being protective and looking after the girls and maybe a feeling (certainly amongst Peter) that boys are stronger and better at dealing with potentially dangerous adventures. I find it interesting how in the Famous Five, the girls are actively involved with the most dangerous parts of mysteries (even Anne), yet in Secret Seven this is not the case.
Carlotta King

Post by Carlotta King »

I'm confused now I think (doesn't take much!! ;)) - I quoted from The Secret Seven (actual book title) where they dress as snowmen go to the old house to watch who comes to feed the (horse) prisoner but re-reading it back it looks like I was just referring to the whole series by calling it The Secret Seven - I probably should have been more specific! :lol:

Society Member
Carlotta King

Post by Carlotta King »

Yes I do get the impression that the boys, particularly George and Colin, were bothered about the girls' safety. I think Jack was too, but not as much as George and Colin. I do get the feeling that maybe he sometimes felt a little irritated by the girls, as he had to put up with Susie (and Binkie) at home so girls were probably more annoying to him than to Colin and George.

I remember when Susie and Jack were given the telescope, Jack didn't want to share with her at first.

Peter definitely thinks that the adventurous jobs are for the boys because the boys are better. :)

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Lucky Star wrote:
Maggie Knows wrote: Anyway, still going strong with this story; just got to the bit where Julian hides on the roof of the van....
That never rang true for me. Caravans are not all that high. Anyone walking towards one would clearly see a person lying on the roof. A good plot device maybe but unrealistic.
Yes, I have always thought that. A ridiculous plotline -- unless the roof had a high surround, which according to the illustrations, they clearly didn't.
I'm afraid I think Peter would probably have turned out to be a pompous idiot.
Of course he did!
Society Member
Maggie Knows

Post by Maggie Knows »

I thought a caravan roof was an interesting variation on the usual 'hiding in a prickly gorse bush' ruse...

Pongo the chimp hides up there as well a bit later on in the story...
Poppy
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Adventure Series/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Andy, Jack Trent & Diana.

Post by Poppy »

If you were lying quite flat and the roof was quite big and you were in the middle, it would be quite hard to see you if you weren't far away.
"Beware of young men with long hair - that's what dad says, isn't it?"
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Yeah, right!

Society Member
Lucky Star

Post by Lucky Star »

Poppy wrote:If you were lying quite flat and the roof was quite big and you were in the middle, it would be quite hard to see you if you weren't far away.
It's a matter of perspective. If you are standing up against a house you can't see anyone on the roof but if you are walking down the road towards the house you can clearly see if someone is on the roof. Lou and Tiger Dan would definitely have seen Julian as they approached the caravan although not while they were working to move it.

Society Member