Five Go Off in a Caravan

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Petermax

Five Go Off in a Caravan

Post by Petermax »

I am currently re-reading Five Go Off in a Caravan, a Hodder & Stoughton 1953 seventh impression of the original 1946 book. What a pleasure it is to read a good solid hardback with unaltered text, even the typeface is pleasing to the eye.

Now the purpose of this post is not typefaces but the two caravans that featured so prominently, as I am somewhat intrigued by their design. In the book illustrations both vehicles are of a modern appearance and yet they are horse drawn. The storyline backs this up with a description of the caravans as being modern and streamlined complete with a rainwater collection facility and a gadget for heating water. All well and good one may say but I am unable to find a reference or pictures on the internet relating to such vehicles as described in the book. Modern streamlined horse drawn caravans would appear to be an anachronism, did such vehicles really exist?

It is interesting to note that both the 1978 and 1996 television adaptations of Five Go Off in a Caravan featured traditional Gypsy caravans. This was perhaps a very rare occasion where TV poetic licence was an improvement on the book.
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Re: Five Go Off in a Caravan

Post by Lucky Star »

It is a bit odd to say the least. However when the caravans are brought to the house at the start of the book they are shown and we are told that they are drawn there by cars. It may have been that they were modelled upon the latest designs at the time the book was written but Blyton would have known that the Five would not hold driving licences and thus they would need horses to draw the caravans once they set off.

The point is made when Julian says "they are draw ny cars today......but they are fitted up to be horse drawn too". I do agree about the TV series though. The Gypsy style vans looked much more authentic to the time.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

The highlight of my year is the annual pilgrimage to the Great Dorset Steam Fair, where just about every facet of life as Blyton described it is on display.

Those who are interested in historic caravans have a little section to themselves, and a couple of years ago I asked this very question. Sadly no-one there had heard of such a design. :?

I think that Enid wanted to give the Five every modern convenience (but probably without the Convenience!), but as Lucky Star said, with a form of conveyance they could use.

Viv
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Enid did probably want to give the Five a lovely new modern caravan to go away in. And of course Julian wouldn't be able to drive, so horses had to be bought into the story to pull the streamline vans.

But lets face it, this is a story, from Enid's imagination, she can make the caravans look and do whatever she wants. She doesn't have to go by any type of design of that era. This is fiction, she could have a special button that makes them drive by themselves if she so wishes, she doesn't have to justify herself. No other children's fiction author does, so why should we be questioning Enid's written word!!! Or in this case the type of caravan!!!

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Good point, Julie. I was asking at a furniture store, the other day, if there could possibly be a chair that could sprout wings and take you away wherever you pleased.....Image
Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Surprised they couldn't help you Nigel!!!!!

The staff probably weren't on commission!!!!! :D
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

Sorry I can't help you, but I'd just like to point out that I've had the same picture for years in my 1949 Hodder and Stoughton Third Impression of the book and never thought anything unusual about it - until now that you've pointed it out.

It does look rather disturbingly odd, doesn't it?
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I don't really find it that odd, it was probably adapted by the owner so that it could either be drawn by a motor-car or a horse. It seems quite simple to my non-d.i.y. mind. :?
Society Member
Viking Star
Favourite book/series: Mystery, Adventure and Secret series.
Favourite character: Fatty, Mrs Hilton and Philip

Post by Viking Star »

Yes I must admit I thought the same - although I know next to nothing about motor transport. But why not just attach a horse to the caravan at the same point a car would be attached? :?
This is a Green Knight Book which means that it is a book by one of the most popular authors of all.
Petermax

Post by Petermax »

Having researched this subject further, I have now discovered a picture of a 1940s showman's waggon. The body is traditional but it does feature small wheels with pneumatic tyres and a tow bar mechanism which could be used by a motor vehicle or a horse.

Perhaps Miss Blyton adapted this type of design for Five Go Off in a Caravan? The addition of a modern streamlined body would have certainly fired her young readers imaginations and taken their minds away from the drab aftermath of World War 2. Such was her unique ability as an author to create words, landscapes and vehicles that were exclusive to her books.

Viking Star

Post by Viking Star »

Many thanks Petermax.

I pity the poor horse(s) that would have to tow that caravan. It's huge! :shock: :lol:
This is a Green Knight Book which means that it is a book by one of the most popular authors of all.
Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

There are caravans like these on display at the Great Dorset Steam Fair. Please forgive me if I have already told this tale.

Last year I arrived, and near the entrance was an ice-cream stall, with all sorts of lovely flavours. I chose blackberry and wandered into the show field, where I was immediately drawn to a pair of caravans as pictured above, with a fairground organ between them, in a sort of horseshoe shape. There were chairs put out to enjoy the music, and steps up to the caravan doors, with a notice inviting visitors to take a peep inside. The caravan doors were "stable-door" style, and you were allowed to look over the top.

Inside everything gleamed, Mr Galliano style. There were beautiful cut glass mirrors, the mahogany interior shined, and fresh flowers had been put on the tables. Whilst having a good nosey in the second van, I was craning my neck to see into the bedroom area, my right hand holding my ice-cream actually over the door and inside the van. So engrossed was I, that I forgot about the angle I was holding my ice-cream cone, until I suddenly realised that the ice bit was dropping off! Without a second thought I put my hand out and caught it like a cricket ball.

Somebody had put so much effort into making the van perfect I couldn't ruin it by allowing my ice-cream to make a sticky puddle on the floor!

Viv
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017
shavinda

Post by shavinda »

boaring

I don't know whether you mean you find Five Go Off in a Caravan boring, or the posts in this thread. Either way, your comment comes across as rather rude. Please try to be more constructive in your remarks. Thanks.

-Anita
dsr

Post by dsr »

I think the reason the caravan needs the two sticking-out prong thinigies at the front (I think they're called shafts) is so that when the horse is going downhill, the caravan doesn't run on to his back legs. An ordinary caravan towbar wouldn't do. But I'm no expert, so if anyone knows for sure, feel free.
DSR
Viking Star

Post by Viking Star »

Thanks DSR. Sounds sensible! I love the obscure debate we're having..... :D