Enid's most complex plot?

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Re: Enid's most complex plot?

Post by Chrissie777 »

sixret wrote:However, I have no sentimental values attach to Adventure series. I am very fond of Fatty and the co, Snubby and the co. So I must say that my favourite series are FFO and Barney R series. Then Adventure series, Secret Seven, Faraway Tree, all 3 school series, Mr. Twiddle and Amelia Jane. In that order. :D
sixret, how about the Famous Five? They must have been as successful in Malaya as they were in Germany and France?
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

Actually, FF series has been the most popular one since I was young and still is in Malaysia. It's just that personally, I prefer FFO series. :D
mynameisdumbnuts
Favourite book/series: Malory Towers, Famous Five, Adventure series
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Darrell Rivers, Bets Hilton

Post by mynameisdumbnuts »

I just finished "House-at-the-Corner." I'm not sure it's the most complex plot -- I agree that "Rubadub Mystery" is a strong contender -- but there are lots of elements Blyton had to tie together. There are three children whose characters need developing (I'm omitting the twins David and Delia because they seem all right from the beginning). Pam and Tony are bad and need reforming. Lizzie is very good and needs to be made better. Blyton had to weave in the fact Lizzie is competent at housework because her teaching Pam is an important part of Pam's development. The twins need a friend who can later become Tony's friend, which is important to his development. Then to finish up, each child needs a reward for having learned his/her lesson.

It comes together beautifully -- all those characters and morals, and yet the book is still a really good read. To me, that's more complex than some of the other books with their adventures, puzzles and clues.
"Lucy, you want more backbone -– you've got your wishbone where your backbone ought to be!" -- "House-at-the-Corner"
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I agree that Enid Blyton weaves several strands together very skilfully in House-at-the-Corner, Mynameisdumbnuts. The story flows so naturally that she makes it look effortless, but focussing on the different characters and their various dramas and getting the balance right must have taken a lot of thought.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Germander Speedwell
Favourite book/series: Barney Mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by Germander Speedwell »

Chrissie777 wrote:Have to re-read Rat A Tat again, I never noticed that something is wrong with it. I actually enjoyed it even more than the first two volumes which I thought are both are great.
I love the wintery atmosphere of Rat A Tat.
However, Ragamuffin was a weak sequel! :roll:
I'd like to muscle in on this thread if I may, admittedly rather late in the day, but I've only just joined!

I too really like the atmosphere in Rat-a-Tat, it certainly conjures up some of those snowy childhood winters I had, even growing up in London. The book may not be as strong as some of its predecessors, certainly not as strong as Rubadub - but it has its moments. Everything is building nicely but somehow it all just falls flat, the criminals aren't even apprehended (the police will get them when the thaw sets in). All quite probable but not exciting. I always feel that Enid, who maybe was not wholly motivated by another Barney book at the start, lost the plot just over halfway and struggled from then on.

As for Ragamuffin, more like a disaster in my view!
"Oh, he were a youngster," said the old man with a curious high chuckle. "He were only 60 mebbe, or thereabouts."
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

I agree - the less said about Ragamuffin the better - although I do rather like the idea of Snubby being mistaken for someone else - that's about the best part!

I also find it amusing that at the front of Ragamuffin Enid dedicates the book to all her Welsh reader who begged her to write a mystery story set in Wales. I often wonder if they were disappointed - or even downright insulted by the fake Welsh 'accents'!
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Germander Speedwell
Favourite book/series: Barney Mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by Germander Speedwell »

I read Ragamuffin for the first and only time about 30 years ago, when childhood was already something of a distant memory. I was prepared to be disappointed as the Barney Mysteries were clearly going off the boil with Rat-a-Tat. I can barely remember the plot - as I recall there wasn't much of one. I can recall a couple of rip-off incidents from other Blyton tales (OK, I can live with that). But those Welsh people going round saying 'Look you' all the time - I cringed. A terrible caricature, I felt.
"Oh, he were a youngster," said the old man with a curious high chuckle. "He were only 60 mebbe, or thereabouts."
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Germander Speedwell wrote: But those Welsh people going round saying 'Look you' all the time - I cringed. A terrible caricature, I felt.
Enid put "look you" in every Wales set story. Interestingly I have just finished a re-read of Frederick Forsyth's superb The Day of the Jackal and at one point a Welsh police detective turns to his English colleague and snaps something like "get onto it then look you"! So Enid was not the only author to put this expression into the mouths of her Welsh characters.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

I wonder if this is more common in south Wales? My dad was born in North Wales and none of my relatives ever say 'look you' or 'whateffer' but maybe it's more of a south Wales thing? Personally though, I get the feeling no Welsh person ever said such a thing except in books and films! One of the few Welsh phrases I have heard regularly is 'isn't it?' added to the end of a sentence.
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Poppy
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Adventure Series/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Andy, Jack Trent & Diana.

Post by Poppy »

I was amused to hear my Auntie, who lives in Wales, repeatedly embellish her sentences with 'Look you!', quite regularly - so I have always assumed that Enid based these phrases off real Welsh phrases, etc.
"Beware of young men with long hair - that's what dad says, isn't it?"
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Was that south Wales or North Wales? Just wondering! :-)
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Poppy
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Adventure Series/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Andy, Jack Trent & Diana.

Post by Poppy »

South Wales. She lives in Abergavveny. :D
"Beware of young men with long hair - that's what dad says, isn't it?"
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

That's interesting. I grew up in North Wales and never heard anyone say "Look you", though if I remember correctly the Welsh for "Look" (command) is "Edrychwch chi," which does literally mean "Look you."
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

My dad comes from North Wales, and so I spent very many holidays in the Denbighshire region, and never heard anyone say 'look you' so presume it's more of a south Wales thing!
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Post by Chrissie777 »

Germander Speedwell wrote:I too really like the atmosphere in Rat-a-Tat, it certainly conjures up some of those snowy childhood winters I had, even growing up in London. The book may not be as strong as some of its predecessors, certainly not as strong as Rubadub - but it has its moments. Everything is building nicely but somehow it all just falls flat, the criminals aren't even apprehended (the police will get them when the thaw sets in). All quite probable but not exciting. I always feel that Enid, who maybe was not wholly motivated by another Barney book at the start, lost the plot just over halfway and struggled from then on.
As for Ragamuffin, more like a disaster in my view!
I like your beautiful avatar. You are probably aware that "Five on a Treasure Island" (1957) was filmed for CFF very close to Durdle Door and Lulworth Cove. We've been there in August 2008 to see some of the locations. The Jurassic Coast is gorgeous and Corfe Castle quite impressive.

Yes, "Ragamuffin" was a disappointment...at least the German translation was.
So far I was looking in vain for an old hardcover copy.
I like "Ring O Bells" very much.
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock