Inspiration for Kirrin Bay, Island and Castle?

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Viking Star
Favourite book/series: Mystery, Adventure and Secret series.
Favourite character: Fatty, Mrs Hilton and Philip

Post by Viking Star »

Many thanks for the info and picture Islander. I got quite excited :shock: :D

Although I've only been a member of the EBS since April, I have a seen a number of articles that discuss the location of Kirrin Island, and none have gone so far as to name possibilities of which Channel Island it might be. I should imagine some of the "old timers" :wink: will be very interested to read your comments.

I might have a look on the internet to see if any of the three have a treacherous ring of rocks or are hard to get to......
Viking Star

Post by Viking Star »

Well. After a search via google.....Brecqhou didn't really throw up anything of interest. :evil:

Lihou is "inaccessible" except via a headland when the tide is down. And used to have a priory (possible links being "inaccessible" and possibly castle/priory ruins - not that there is any mention of priory ruins).

However, Jethou is said to be surrounded by treacherous rocks! The plot thickens. :shock: :D

If anyone else can contribute then please do...
Viking Star

Post by Viking Star »

PS. Any chance of Matthew or Keith giving this string a correct spelling please? (ie. Kirran to Kirrin). It irks a little....ta. :)
Keith Robinson
Site Administrator

Post by Keith Robinson »

PS. Any chance of Matthew or Keith giving this string a correct spelling please? (ie. Kirran to Kirrin). It irks a little....ta.
Consider it done. :)
Viking Star

Post by Viking Star »

Tx Keith!
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

The real Kirrin Island?

Spooky.
Society Member
Islander
Favourite book/series: The Ship of Adventure / Adventure series
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Islander »

Only me again!

After just finishing reading Enid's biography it looks like she took her honeymoon here in Jersey and therefore Lihou (off the coast of Guernsey) is a definite no-no (I've never even seen it and I've lived here all my life :o ) The other 2, Brecqhou and Jethou are still possibilities of course!

However, there are also a couple of 'islands' which are connected to Jersey at low tide but become an island at high tide.

First one is Green Island which, for you trivia buffs out there, is the most southerly part of Great Britain :D Couple of images below

Low tide - http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y43/je ... eenisl.jpg

High tide - http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y43/je ... Jersey.jpg

I was there with the kids on Sunday which was what made me think of it.

Another one is Janvrin's Tomb at Portelet - the interesting thing about the 'island' is the tomb on it, which looks like a castle tower. See the link below for pictures and the story behind it.

http://www.jaynesjersey.com/phototour6.htm

Same as Green Island - only an islet but could well have given Enid the idea if she first saw it as high tide.

I am taking the little monste...... erm darling children to Sark for 4 days in a couple of weeks and am spending a day in Guernsey and Herm as well. I will take photo's of Jethou at high and low tide to see if it is still a possibility!

Islander
Viking Star

Post by Viking Star »

Thanks Islander. I think it's great that you've supplied all this information and pictures. :D :D

The picture of Portelet was quite intriguing, and looks as though it might well have sown the seed of Kirrin Island with a castle on it.

At the moment the front runners appear to be Portelet (because of the image) - but strictly speaking not an island, or Jethou because of the treacherous rocks. :evil:

On the other hand you originally favoured Lihou - any particular reason why? Can the remains of the Priory be seen - in other words to provoke an image similar to Javrin's tomb on Portelet?

Thanks again.
Kirrin

island

Post by Kirrin »

I know where the island is that was featured on the nineties version pm me if you want to know where -but there is no castle on top the castle was dunstenborourgh in northumberland
booklover
Favourite book/series: Whyteleafe, Faraway Tree, "Barney" books
Favourite character: Elizabeth Allen, Fatty, Barney and Snubby

Post by booklover »

Hi everyone :D

Islander's suggestions (and photos) were fantastic!! Like Viking Star, I too am very excited!

The location of Kirrin Island is discussed in some detail on the thread "The Landscape of Kirrin". I'll repeat what I wrote on that thread:

Norman Wright in his book on the Famous Five writes as follows:

"The real answer to the Kirrin Island question was, however, finally cleared up by Trevor Bolton in an article for the Enid Blyton Society Journal.

Trevor corresponded with Enid from 1948 until the early 1960s and in his letters he often asked questions about her books and stories. In one letter he asked if Kirrin was based on a real place and in her reply she said: "Yes, Kirrin was based on an actual village, bay and island - but in the Channel Isles, not England." Enid Blyton visited Jersey during her honeymoon in 1924 and, if not based on Jersey itself, it is likely that Kirrin Island was inspired by one of the many small isles she visited nearby."

So we seem to have confirmation of a location in the Channel Isles - with Enid's answer to Trevor Bolton of a "village, bay and island" (ie all together in one location) as the clue.

Does Enid's response to Trevor Bolton help narrow down the possibilities?
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

I am covering this fairly thoroughly in the next Journal, which will include another letter from Enid where she is far more precise about the location of both Kirrin Island and castle.

Best wishes
Tony
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Tony Summerfield wrote:I am covering this fairly thoroughly in the next Journal, which will include another letter from Enid where she is far more precise about the location of both Kirrin Island and castle.
Really looking forward to reading that.
Society Member
Susie

Post by Susie »

moonraker wrote:The real Kirrin Island?

Spooky.
'N' Freaky too!
There is always something else new to learn.
HeatherS
Favourite book/series: Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by HeatherS »

Tony Summerfield wrote:I am covering this fairly thoroughly in the next Journal, which will include another letter from Enid where she is far more precise about the location of both Kirrin Island and castle.
moonraker wrote:Really looking forward to reading that.
So am I - I'm just hoping you don't make our Viv cry, Tony!
Heather
"Have you held your breath in wonder, at the sky so dark and deep?" - Enid Blyton
http://www.heathersblytonpages.com/
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

moonraker wrote:Really looking forward to reading that.
Heather wrote:So am I - I'm just hoping you don't make our Viv cry, Tony!
My thoughts exactly, Heather, when reading this! What if Enid really hated Corfe Castle and based it on a castle somewhere in Scotland!

Viv might then have to close her shop and open another one up in Sutherland!

Viv, I am sure it will be all right in the end! :twisted:
Society Member