Mischief at St Rollo's

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Jomo
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George, Timmy, Anne

Re: Mischief at St Rollo's

Post by Jomo »

Moved from another topic.

I’ve just finished reading Mischief at St Rollo’s a ’Mary Pollock’ book. As soon as I sat down to read it, I started to re-experience the emotions that I felt at the time of my first reading. I could not have been older than 7 years old, and this story had a big impact on me.

Ostensibly it’s the story of a brother and sister duo, Mike and Janet, who are sent to boarding school to get them to buck up, apply themselves to their studies and start realising their potential, but they are pretty determined to just have a good time and cruise through school.
First lines of the book:
“I don’t want to go to boarding-school,” said Michael.
“Neither do I,” said Janet. “I don’t see why we have to, Mother!”
“You are very lucky to be able to go,” said Mother. “Especially together!
“Daddy and I have chosen a mixed school for you—one with boys and girls together, so that both you and Mike can go together, and not be parted. We know how fond you are of one another. It’s quite time you went too. I run after you too much. You must learn to stand on your own feet.”
Mother went out of the room. The two children stared at one another. “Well, that’s that,” said Janet, flipping a pellet of paper at Michael. “We’ve got to go. But I vote we make our new school sit up a bit!”
“I’ve heard that you have to work rather hard at St. Rollo’s,” said Mike. “Well, I’m not going to! I’m going to have a good time. I hope we’re in the same class.”
Well, that sets the scene! Naturally, they fall into a friendship with the class clown and trickster Tom, who is also a smart kid who is cruising through and playing the clown because he’s ‘bored’.

But the story is not really about this trio, even though the focus on them. There is poor miserable Hugh - disliked, reviled, excluded by all the other children. A lonely figure which apparently no redeeming qualities - worst of all he is a cheat! But even before the cheating , he had been a loner, a ‘swot’ always studying. He is rude, aggressive, unfriendly - an unsympathetic portrait of an unpleasant character - yet somehow Blyton contrives to make the reader start to feel a little pity for him, grudgingly a bit of empathy creeps in as the story unfolds.

This is a story about tolerance and intolerance, fairness and unfairness, about ‘groupthink’ and also about forgiveness and the possibility of redemption, but it also has a very solid lesson not to squander your natural gifts but to make the most of them, because not everyone had your advantages or is as blessed with abilities like yours. Mike and Janet are every child, Tom is the ‘devil made me do it’ influencer, and for a while his outlook is their primary perspective on the school experience.

This story is so beautifully crafted, as you start to tire of Tom and his silly pranks in the classroom, Hugh also becomes more and more ostracised and excluded. Then he is falsely accused of smashing Tom’s model ship, and in his desperation he resolves to run away from school. The resolution comes of course, with Tom discovering that Hugh had nothing to do with the destruction of the model ship.
But is it too late? Can the children make amends?

Yes, but only if they can be honest and fair and understand someone who is not like themselves, who has difficulties and obstacles in life, also deserves to be included.

————
As I read this story again, the instances of present-day children becoming severely depressed or even suiciding due to cyber-bullying by schoolmates came to mind.

This story would be great to introduce to children of a similar age to the children of the book (7-8 yo, second grade) especially those who may be involved in school bullying. To read and discuss.

Edit: I am surprised by some of the dismissive online reviews of this book, it is not lightweight despite being formulaic in the boarding school story setup, it is confidently and expertly crafted to arouse, inform and instruct young readers. It provokes considered thinking about the issues raised in the narrative and provides clear, but not didactic moral guidance. You have to read it with the mind of a child of 6-9 years of age.
“To grow up in intimate association with nature – animal and vegetable – is an irreplaceable form of wealth and culture.” 
~Miles Franklin, Childhood At Brindabella: My First Ten Years
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Regarding dismissive reviews, it may be that readers have come to Mischief at St. Rollo's having already read some of Enid Blyton's meatier boarding school offerings - The Naughtiest Girl in the School, Fifth Formers of St. Clare's, Upper Fourth at Malory Towers, etc. Mischief at St. Rollo's was one of the last Enid Blyton books I encountered as a child (aged 11) and I recall being disappointed that it wasn't as involved as many of her other stories. If I remember correctly, it's more thinly plotted than Enid Blyton's other school books, with fewer narrative strands, and of course it's a one-off title so we don't see the gradual development of characters over a lengthy period as we do in the other series - particularly Malory Towers. Having said that, I find the first St. Clare's book (The Twins at St. Clare's) rather poor because it's frustratingly episodic. Mischief at St. Rollo's may well be better structured, though it's so long since I last read it that I can't comment meaningfully. I do remember the character of Hugh though, and the attitudes of the others towards him, and I agree that Enid Blyton's stories often delve deeper than many people give her credit for.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I think I've only read this book once, so can't remember too much about it.

Having read the comments above though, something strange leapt out at me - the name Hugh being used. I can't recall Enid using it in any other books, although it may have featured in some short stories. I thought it very odd that Enid should have chosen the name Hugh for a book written in 1943 - the year after she divorce Hugh Pollock! And, she published the book under her former married name.
Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Good points, Jomo (you need to look at your avatar, though). I loved MaSR's, and although I empathise with Anita's comments, I found it an excellent one-off novel which I enjoy to this day. If I have a criticism, I do get a little tired of the 'awful' pupil - the Gwendoline/Hugh and so on that seems to feature in every book. Having said that, you have inspired me to read it again!
Society Member
Jomo

Post by Jomo »

Anita Bensoussane wrote: 21 Feb 2022, 09:04 Mischief at St. Rollo's was one of the last Enid Blyton books I encountered as a child (aged 11) and I remember being disappointed that it wasn't as involved as many of her other stories. If I remember correctly, it's more thinly plotted than Enid Blyton's other school books, with fewer narrative strands…
I can see that it wouldn’t appeal to an 11 year old, it is definitely aimed at the younger age group, actually it’s an excellent introduction to the school stories genre for readers who are not quite up to full length books and multi stranded storylines. There are basically only three themes - the adjustment of Mike and Janet to school life, trickster Tom for comic relief, and Hugh’s story.

It’s a pity this didn’t become a series of books for younger readers, but the whole Mary Pollock collection seems to have been purely experimental, not to be repeated or extended. I wonder how much Enid Blyton put into the series, did she rate them highly as works?
“To grow up in intimate association with nature – animal and vegetable – is an irreplaceable form of wealth and culture.” 
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

How is St Rollo's pronounced?

I've always said Rollo - not Rowlow - is that correct??

Maybe this is getting me confused!! :shock:
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

I've always pronounced Rollo to rhyme with follow! The Rolo sweets are pronounced row-low.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Sounds good to me!
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Hannah

Post by Hannah »

Jomo wrote: 21 Feb 2022, 02:14 This story would be great to introduce to children of a similar age to the children of the book (7-8 yo, second grade) especially those who may be involved in school bullying. To read and discuss.
I don't think the children in the book are as young as that. It's said "a cheeky-looking boy of about eleven" when Tom is introduced. Second form seems not to be always about the same age - at St. Rollo's it's with children around 11 years, at Malory Towers 13 years and at St. Clare's even 15.
While people from Germany probably would think of 7-8 year old children in their second year of school as we start with 6. (I think my first Blyton book was "Second form at Malory Towers" at my 8th birthday during the holidays before I started the second form - my classmate didn't realize that it was about much older girls but I still liked it :).)

I would have liked to hear more about the boys and girls at St. Rollo's too.
Society Member
GloomyGraham

Post by GloomyGraham »

St Rollo's always struck me as an unusual name for the school.

Just did a little googling to find the most famous Rollo was a viking, the first Duke of Normandy. Not sure he was ever a saint though.

I also find there was a Scottish constituency at the time called Glasgow St Rollox.

I wonder how Enid decided on that name.
Judith Crabb
Favourite book/series: Boys' and Girls' Circus Book/Adventure Series

Post by Judith Crabb »

Yes GloomyGraham I wonder too about the name. In the vast genre of school stories there are some extraordinary names - I recall St Guinevere's which always struck me as rather funny but I don't remember the author. (Was there a St Lancelot's for boys?)
Society Member
Jomo

Post by Jomo »

Hannah wrote: 21 Feb 2022, 22:36"a cheeky-looking boy of about eleven" when Tom is introduced. Second form seems not to be always about the same age - at St. Rollo's it's with children around 11 years, at Malory Towers 13 years and at St. Clare's even 15….

I would have liked to hear more about the boys and girls at St. Rollo's too.
I somehow missed that detail about Tom’s age. I just assumed as a child that second form was equivalent to our second form in New South Wales Australia. School began with Kindergarten at 5 years old or as young as 4 years and 9 months, 1st form at 6, 2nd form at 7 with normal progression, though in my schooldays there was another class called ‘Transition’ between kindergarten and first form where younger or less advanced children might spend a few months or a year before progressing to 1st form, so they could be as old as 8 years on starting 2nd form. Those years were called the ‘infants school’, but there was nothing infantile about the curriculum for 2nd form. It involved a lot of learning and constant testing!
Following that was 4 years in Primary - 3rd form through to 6th form - then on to 6 years of High School, years 7-10 junior high school ending with a public exam called the School Certificate, years 11 and 12 senior high school ending with the Higher School Certificate. High school years were alternately referred to as 1st to 6th Year, but 2nd year students were 13-14 years old.
Jomo

Post by Jomo »

GloomyGraham wrote: 21 Feb 2022, 23:08 St Rollo's always struck me as an unusual name for the school.

Just did a little googling to find the most famous Rollo was a viking, the first Duke of Normandy. Not sure he was ever a saint though.

I also find there was a Scottish constituency at the time called Glasgow St Rollox.

I wonder how Enid decided on that name.
Rollo was a shortening of Roland, not an uncommon name in French families.
According to Wikipedia:
“Saint Roland was the third abbot of a Cistercian monastery founded in 1140 in Chézery, France... According to local tradition, he was born in 1150 in England or Ireland.”
So St Rollo was most likely English!
From French Wikipedia:
“Saint Roland († 1200), abbot of Chézery, celebrated on July 14, 18. His origin is not known and legend makes him an English prince eager to live as far as possible from his family and honors. Perhaps he was one of the many Englishmen who in 1161 had come to join Pope Alexander III. While he had been at the abbey of Chézery for a few years, he was chosen in 1170 to succeed Stephen on the seat of abbot. He founded the chapel of "Our Lady of the Seven Sorrows" in the village of Confort which became a high place of pilgrimage in the Middle Ages”

Furthermore “ A local legend has St. Roland encountering a thirsty reaper along the road to Lélex on a hot day. He offers the reaper a choice of wine or water. The reaper replies that wine is not made for the lips of the poor, and he is very poor. St. Roland strikes the ground with his walking stick, and up springs fresh water. Today the "Oratory of the Blessed Fountain" stands over the site. Locals will often comment: "If only the peasant had asked for wine."

:lol: :lol: :lol:
shadow
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery / Mary Pollock / Adventure Series
Favourite character: Kiki / Loony

Post by shadow »

The current school year in England (not sure of other countries) is
Nursery age 3-4
Reception age 4-5
Year 1 age 5-6 up to
Year 13 age 17-18

This is usually split into
Infant school - nursery to year 2
Junior school - year 3 to year 6
Secondary school - year 7 - year 11
Sixth form - year 12 - year 13
There is also a system of middle school which is years 5 - 8 but I'm not entirely sure how this works.

When I was at school though this continuous counting method wasn't used and infant school was years 1-2 with children starting at age 5. Then junior school was years 1-4, then secondary school was years 1-5, then sixth form was, particularly in private school, lower six and upper six. So using this knowledge I always assumed that the school books were secondary school, years 1-5, then lower and upper six, with associated ages. I also assumed that St Clare's was based more on the middle school system so secondary school started at age 13.
If I could live here on this secret island always and always and always, and never grow up at all, I would be quite happy
shadow
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery / Mary Pollock / Adventure Series
Favourite character: Kiki / Loony

Post by shadow »

Mischief at St Rollo's was the first school book I ever read. I was given a few books as a child, one of which was Adventure Stories, which contained this book and The Children of Kidillin. Always been a favourite, although at the time I had no idea it was published under an assumed name.
If I could live here on this secret island always and always and always, and never grow up at all, I would be quite happy