Mischief at St Rollo's

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
ledzep93
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: Timmy

Mischief at St Rollo's

Post by ledzep93 »

Has anyone ever read Mischief at St Rollo's? Its found in a book of Enid's called Adventure Stories and is paired with Children of Kidillin. Its not nearly as exciting as a Famous Five but a quick, cute and fun read :)
"I'll send you a telegram if I see a small, big boy with blue eyes, fair hair - and how many fingers did you say?" said Robin

The Boy Next Door
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Re: Mischief at St Rollo's

Post by Eddie Muir »

I've read it and enjoyed it, Fred. Mischief at St Rollo's was first published in 1943, and it was a Mary Pollock book (a pen name used by Enid Blyton).
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Wolfgang »

Yes, I read Mischief at St Rollo's, two different German translations and one time in English. The complete story is also in "A treasury of Enid Blyton's School Stories".
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
ledzep93

Post by ledzep93 »

Eddie Muir wrote:I've read it and enjoyed it, Fred. Mischief at St Rollo's was first published in 1943, and it was a Mary Pollock book (a pen name used by Enid Blyton).
Thanks Eddie, i didn't know she used pen names! :)
"I'll send you a telegram if I see a small, big boy with blue eyes, fair hair - and how many fingers did you say?" said Robin

The Boy Next Door
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

Mary Pollock was her only pen name, under which she wrote six titles. They were all reissued later with her real name on them though.

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/nove ... arypollock" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Children of Kidillin, Three Boys and a Circus, The Secret of Cliff Castle, The Adventures of Scamp, Smuggler Ben and Mischief at St Rollo's.

I don't think we know for certain why Blyton wrote the books - it has been suggested she wanted to know whether her books would sell on their own merit, without the famous name on the front. It's also been suggested it may have been to get round war-time paper restrictions.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
ledzep93

Post by ledzep93 »

Ah, I see, thanks Fiona. The copy I've got comes from 1961 and has her signature on it. :)

The Boy Next Door
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

There appears to be a gaping hole in my Enid Blyton collection. I don't think I've got any of those books, either as Mary Pollock or Enid Blyton - E-Bay here I come. :D
Society Member
shadow
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery / Mary Pollock / Adventure Series
Favourite character: Kiki / Loony

Post by shadow »

You bought dog stories from me at the Enid Blyton day. Yellow book, contains two Mary Pollock stories, don't tell me you've forgotten :roll:
If I could live here on this secret island always and always and always, and never grow up at all, I would be quite happy
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Depends on what you mean by the term 'forgotten'. I clearly remember purchasing one (or possibly more) books from you on the day. Unfortunately, they, along with the other books I brought home from that memorable occasion have become temporarily misplaced. :oops:

Back in July we had major upheaval in the house as we had our central heating modernised, which involved floorboards being lifted to allow pipes to be laid. This meant that all my books both on shelves and in piles along the landing were re-distributed. Either packed up in boxes, or deposited in my son's bedroom. I think I've unpacked all the boxes, but the books that were in my son's room are either back on the landing in piles, or still lurking in his room underneath all all his clothes!!

I really do need to sort out what I've got, or I'm going to end up with even more duplicates at this rate. I'm currently reading a paperback of 'Puzzle for the Secret Seven' with a TV cover on it, it's got a price sticker on it for about 20p, so must have been a charity shop purchase at some point. Good thing I discovered it, as I was just about to try and get a copy from E-Bay as it was next on my SS list to read!
Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Fiona1986 wrote:Mary Pollock was her only pen name.
Fraid that's not quite right, Fiona. She also wrote as Audrey Saint Lo, Becky Kent and Christopher.
Fiona1986

Post by Fiona1986 »

I'm going to blame being up all night throwing up for that slip up. I was thinking of novels when I wrote that, I'd forgotten about the short stories.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

yes, I've read Michief at St. Rollo's, it's an enjoyable book along with The Children of Kidillin. Although a Mary Pollock book, mine does have Enid Blyton as the author. :)

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Fiona1986

Post by Fiona1986 »

And now I forgot to type half my reply... I meant to say there I've got five of the Mary Pollock titles (I don't have Adventures of Scamp - animal stories never appeal to me as much as her other genres) though I think they're all the later editions with her real name on them.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Jen-Jen
Favourite book/series: The Boy Next Door
Favourite character: Fatty, George, Barney and Darrell

Post by Jen-Jen »

I read Mischief a St Rollo's and although I enjoyed it, I wished it was longer. I guess I we've been spoilt having had such a wonderfully long journey with Enid's other Boarding school series - it was hard for me to just be settled with having one look into St Rollo's - and such a short look at that!
"I should think that if it came to pushing, Eunice might send old Fatty flying" - Larry The Mystery of the Missing Man
ledzep93

Post by ledzep93 »

I felt the same way when I first read it. Its a charming little story in its own right but after reading it for the first time I felt a bit peeved that there wasn't that much adventure or mystery you'd expect from Enid.

The Boy Next Door