Easter Enid Blyton Books

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Belly

Easter Enid Blyton Books

Post by Belly »

Can anyone recall Enid writing about Easter at all in her books?

Which books were set during the Easter hols? Can recall some famous five and Adventure books but not sure from memory which ones?
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Must admit I get the Famous Five books a bit mixed up (ditto the Secret Seven) but I'm sure several of them contain references to the foolhardiness of bathing in April!

The Rilloby Fair Mystery is the first book that springs to mind as being set firmly in the Easter hols - see the quotations under "Monthly Enid Blyton" from Rilloby Fair and Hurrah for the Circus! The Ring O' Bells Mystery and The Sea of Adventure both take place during extended Easter holidays, while the Find-Outers solve many of their cases during the Easter break - Burnt Cottage ("It was at half-past nine on a dark April night that all the excitement began..."), Spiteful Letters, Pantomime Cat, Holly Lane, Missing Man and Banshee Towers ("Coo, look at them primroses down in the ditch,/Smiling all over their faces...").

Then there is the discussion of Easter presents in The Naughtiest Girl in the School. A girl says that she received a puppy inside an enormous egg, a boy says that he had a new bicycle and Elizabeth says that she was given a guinea-pig which looked just like Miss Thomas. Seems that boarding-school children receive a lot more than the customary chocolate egg, then!

Anita
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:Must admit I get the Famous Five books a bit mixed up (ditto the Secret Seven) but I'm sure several of them contain references to the foolhardiness of bathing in April!
while the Find-Outers solve many of their cases during the Easter break - Missing Man

I definitely get the SS books muddled up!

The Mystery of the Missing Man opens with Pip off to the village to buy some Easter eggs. He asks his father what he wants for Easter. "I did think of getting you some tobacco - and Mother, I suppose you wouldn't like a marzipan egg, would you?"

As Anita says, there are many instances of warnings about Spring weather. Smuggler's Top was set in the Easter holls as well.
Society Member
Belly

Post by Belly »

Moonraker and Anita, thank you so much! Really great posts.

So Sumggler's Top was set during the Easter hols, maybe explains the mists?

As for bathing in April, I wouldn't have fancied Kirrin beach this afternoon, not without my thermals! :D
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I'm reading "Kirrin Island Again" now - set at Easter! The Five haven't met up since "Caravan", which was set in the summer; no adventure at Christmas then!
Society Member
Sally
Favourite book/series: Adventure Series, Barney Rs and Find-Outers
Favourite character: Barney, Philip Mannering, Fatty and Bill Smugs

Re: Easter Enid Blyton Books

Post by Sally »

Merged with existing topic.

I thought I would start a discussion about our favourite Blyton Easter stories. I sometimes like to re-read Blyton books around a particular time of year. Easter favourites for me have to include, probably at the top of the list, The Rilloby Fair Mystery, The Castle of Adventure (and also Circus, although much of it takes place in Tauri-Hessia), and many from the Find-Outer series - Missing Man includes of course that wonderful scene on Easter Sunday between Goon and Eunice, Spiteful Letters (inc a visit to Burnam Beeches), Pantomime Cat, Holly Lane and even (I say that because it is my least favourite!) Banshee Towers, as Enid really gets the feel of Easter and describes it through Ern's portry.

The Six Cousins series from memory also describes Easter time beautifully in a country setting. No doubt many other contenders from the Famous Five series, which I haven't read for years. Any other thoughts?
RDMorrell
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Secret Seven, Adventure
Favourite character: Anne

Post by RDMorrell »

Wasn't Five on Kirrin Island Again set in the Easter holidays? If so, that would definitely rate as one of my favourite Easter adventures by Enid! :D
Best Regards

ROWAN M.

A room without books is like a body without a soul - Cicero
Lenoir
Favourite book/series: FFO/FF. Five run away together, Most FFO books.
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Lenoir »

Yes it was, and “Smuggler’s Top” has to be high up on the list as well - but I might be biased!

Quite a few of the Find Outers books are set at Easter. Missing Man was already mentioned and has the classic Easter Sunday episode. I also enjoy Pantomime Cat and Spiteful letters.
Dick Kirrin
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Barney Mysteries
Favourite character: Julian, Dick

Post by Dick Kirrin »

And "Five get into trouble" takes place during the Easter hols, too. Why hasn't Julie already added it, I wonder? :) :?

Cheers

Dick Kirrin
"You just never knew what would happen. It made life exciting, of course - but it did spoil a cycling tour!"
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Merged with an older thread.

I just noticed from reading a recent rear blub that The Adventurous Four Again is set at Easter.

How may other books are set at that time?

Here's another:

" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

That's the edition of Burnt Cottage I have, Pete. Just looking at the cover brings back happy childhood memories.

Diana's words from The Rilloby Fair Mystery often come into my head at this time of the year: "I say, isn't this a heavenly day - all daffodils and primroses and sunshine! Gosh, I do love the Easter hols."
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Thanks for this merged thread Anita.

I can see going back to the first post I will now have a good choice of what to read over Easter.👍
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Hannah

Post by Hannah »

Cherry Tree Farm starts in the spring and they move to Willow farm during the next Easter holidays.
Society Member
GloomyGraham

Post by GloomyGraham »

Chocolate eggs weren't nearly so common when Enid was writing her books as they have become since.

Easter back then used to be more of a time to paint hard-boiled eggs and attend Church. I don't think any of her books mention either of these things though.

Church-going seems to get more mentioned in the 'family' books (House At The Corner etc) but apart from church jumble sales and magazines rarely gets brought up in her most popular series.
Hannah

Post by Hannah »

Easter eggs are mentioned in Mystery of the Missing Man.
‘I’m going to buy some Easter eggs,’ said Pip, at breakfast-time. ‘Are you coming too, Bets? Then we might go and call on old Fatty.’

Pip changed the subject quickly—a trick at which he was very good. ‘Dad, what do you want for Easter?’ he asked. ‘I did think of getting you some of that tobacco you like—and Mother, I suppose you wouldn’t like a marzipan egg, would you, I know you like marzipan, and ...’
They also visit the church.
Easter Sunday was a glorious day. The Trotteville family and the Tollings went to church, and Fatty reflected that at least Eunice couldn’t talk at church. Unfortunately she could sing, though, and almost deafened Fatty who had to sit next to her.
Society Member