Golliwogs/Gollies

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Madpants
Favourite book/series: Famous Five / Five Find Outers / Adventure Series
Favourite character: Kiki

Re: Gollywogs

Post by Madpants »

I've just read this thread and whilst I cannot abide political correctness, neither can I abide racism. I read her books aloud to my daughter apart from the odd word which at the time was perfectly acceptable but now is the height of tabooness (is that a word?) We are reading Mr Galliano's Circus at the moment and I have substitued the name Nigel for Nigger but Darky remains as he is just a dark coloured dog.

Our 'Nanny' state has dumbed everything down so much, our poor children cannot be expected to think for themselves and god forbid anyone should have an actual accident without someone being at fault.

I refuse to buy any editions of EB's books post 1960's as i think the changes are an abomination and for my collection i want what she wrote, not what other people think we should read.

I also make a point of saying blackboard, it's IS black for heavens sake!!

Don't get me started on the chairperson etc debate .............
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Madpants wrote: I have substitued the name Nigel for Nigger but Darky remains as he is...
I am honoured to be in such distinguished company! :D
Society Member
Moonraker

Golly - Good or Bad?

Post by Moonraker »

A programme on BBC Radio 4 will be of interest to us, this morning. Good Golly, Bad Golly is to be aired at 11 am on Radio 4, and I would have thought that Enid will be certainly mentioned!

The golly is to some as fondly remembered a part of childhood as the favourite teddy, while to others it has become a symbol of outdated racial stereotypes. Henry Bonsu traces the history of this controversial 19th-century doll in popular culture.

Non-UK residents should be able to listen to the programme via the BBC website.
Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Re: Golly - Good or Bad?

Post by Lucky Star »

Thanks Nigel. I've only just read this post so I'm a bit late for the programme but I will catch it on the website later. It should definitly be an interesting one.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Kitty
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers/Malory Towers
Favourite character: Alicia, Fatty, Gwendoline

Post by Kitty »

Thanks, will get it on the iPlayer as soon as I can - sounds interesting!
Gwendoline lay down, angry. She determined to make herself miserable and cry.
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Yes thanks for the tip off,I set the recorder to copy it and will listen to it with a nice steaming cup of tea tomorrow.
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

We listenend - and then Golly sales went through the roof yesterday!

I think that the lady at Bethnal Green needs educating about Golly in Blyton, presumably she hasn't read Amelia Jane!

Does anyone else fancy a Society visit to go and see poor original Golly, incarcerated in the dungeons at Bethnal Green Toy Museum?

http://www.vam.ac.uk/moc/collections/te ... index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Viv
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Thanks for the information about the programme, Nigel. I'll try to listen to it tomorrow if it's still available.

We went to the Bethnal Green Museum of Childhood a couple of years ago and saw Florence Upton's Golliwogg and Dutch Dolls. They're not exactly "incarcerated in the dungeons" - they're sitting in a glass case in a light, airy room! It's a lovely, spacious building and a great place for a day out. We spent about three hours looking at the toys and doing some of the interactive stuff, and had a picnic in a nearby park. The Museum contains lots of toys but no books or comics (at least there aren't any on display, but I think I read somewhere that they do have a book collection which can be viewed privately by appointment).
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I am in a bit of a predicament. I am conscious that my grandson lives in a predominately Afro-Caribbean area, and have started to feel uncomfortable about him seeing the little golliwog which sits with Noddy, Big Ears, Tessie Bear and PC Plod on a shelf with my Blyton's. I really think he will have to go on a weekend break when Elliott (my g/s) stays with us. I never thought I would feel like this, but I would hate to be responsible for him (when he can talk) in referring to some of his neighbours as golliwogs.

It's fine in predominately white areas such as Poole and Salisbury, but I do wonder if it is totally acceptable in areas that are 80% black (my statistic).

I expect to see flashes of lightening towards Corfe Castle, but I am in a bit of a quandry!
Society Member
Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

Moonraker wrote:
I expect to see flashes of lightening towards Corfe Castle, but I am in a bit of a quandry!
Hmm... if you lived in his area as a "black" family would you feel awkward about having Noddy on display - a white character best known for his nervous twitch?

So long as I have more "Black" people buying golliwoggs than white people complaining, then I shall go on selling them :lol:

Tom Daly got bullied at school because he won an Olympic bronze medal for diving yet no-one suggest banning school sports :?

Viv
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Viv of Ginger Pop wrote:[
Hmm... if you lived in his area as a "black" family would you feel awkward about having Noddy on display - a white character best known for his nervous twitch?

Viv
Good point Viv. It is a bit of a quandary Nigel and perhaps it would be better to leave introductions to Golly until the child is old enough to understand a bit better the social contexts of the toy, both historically and today. But this is a qustion that will assume greater relevance as more and more of the UK becomes "mixed" in terms of race. So its important to keep Golly out there while making sure that he is properly understood.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:Thanks for the information about the programme, Nigel. I'll try to listen to it tomorrow if it's still available.

We went to the Bethnal Green Museum of Childhood a couple of years ago and saw Florence Upton's Golliwogg and Dutch Dolls. They're not exactly "incarcerated in the dungeons" - they're sitting in a glass case in a light, airy room! It's a lovely, spacious building and a great place for a day out. We spent about three hours looking at the toys and doing some of the interactive stuff, and had a picnic in a nearby park. The Museum contains lots of toys but no books or comics (at least there aren't any on display, but I think I read somewhere that they do have a book collection which can be viewed privately by appointment).
I went there myself a couple of years ago. Amazing place!
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Moonraker, I think it would be a shame to remove Golly from your shelf. My youngest was bought a golly for Christmas a year or two back, and it is one of her favourite toys, she's never commented on the fact it has a black face whereas all her other dolls have white faces. I
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Lucky Star wrote:It is a bit of a quandary Nigel and perhaps it would be better to leave introductions to Golly until the child is old enough to understand a bit better the social contexts of the toy, both historically and today. But this is a question that will assume greater relevance as more and more of the UK becomes "mixed" in terms of race. So its important to keep Golly out there while making sure that he is properly understood.
I'd leave Golly on display and answer any questions as they arise, when Elliott is older. He might well simply see Golly as a friendly-looking doll, as I did as a child, and not make any connection between a golliwog and a black person. When I was at school, one of my sister's friends had the nickname "Golliwog." She was a white girl (very pale-skinned in fact, with sandy hair and freckles) and was called "Golliwog" because her hair was so thick and tousled.

Stephen wrote:
Anita Bensoussane wrote:We went to the Bethnal Green Museum of Childhood a couple of years ago and saw Florence Upton's Golliwogg and Dutch Dolls. They're not exactly "incarcerated in the dungeons" - they're sitting in a glass case in a light, airy room! It's a lovely, spacious building and a great place for a day out.
I went there myself a couple of years ago. Amazing place!
Pollock's Toy Museum is another place we hope to visit in the near future. I haven't been there for twenty years but I remember it as being very different to the Bethnal Green Museum of Childhood, dark and cramped with narrow staircases and lots of small rooms crammed with toys from floor to ceiling. Still attractive in its own way, and full of atmosphere.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Yak
Favourite book/series: St Clare's/FFO's.
Favourite character: Fatty/Claudine

Post by Yak »

Has Darrell slapping Gwen been removed? What is it subsituted as? They'd have to do a good deal of rewriting to get around that.
http://europeforum.freeforums.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;