What was the first Blyton book you read?

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

[Stephen:] "I remember being rather shocked when I discovered that Noddy - a television puppet and comic book character I wasn't interested in had been written by the same person!"

Same here. It took me years to realise that Enid Blyton was the author of the unappealing (to me, anyway! :wink: ) Noddy! :o

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Susie

Post by Susie »

Never liked Noddy either.
I have no idea which one was my first. Wish I did though.
There is always something else new to learn.
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I'm fairly sure that Noddy Goes to Toyland was my first Blyton.

I am one of the minority here, as I love Noddy. I was so totally fascinated by the end-papers illustration of Toyland. Even now, the books hold a terrific fascination for me.

A friend of mine has quite a few Noddy souvenirs. There really is something quite special about them.
Society Member
lizarfau
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George

Post by lizarfau »

Mine was Mr Galliano's Circus, closely followed by the three books about Brer Rabbit. After that came Five Go To Smuggler's Top.
Steve Alpe

Post by Steve Alpe »

The first that I can remember reading is Mystery of the Burnt Cottage and I tried to read them in order ever since. One of the reason why I have not read to many is that I do not yet own them (and probably never will) as I do not buy recent copies.
Ed Fulcrum

Post by Ed Fulcrum »

Mine was 'Five get into a fix!'.

An older cousin gave myself and my 3 sisters 4 of his old books and we sat up in bed on a Saturday morning and each read one.
We were so taken by them that as each of us finished we swapped and had all four finished by the afternoon.

As far as I can remember the other 3 were:
'Five have a mystery to solve',
'Five go to Demon's Rocks' and 'Five go to Billycock Hill'.

I remember so well because they had those nice covers from the early seventies. We them bought up all the rest and they were the 'As seen on TV' editions.
Moose
Favourite book/series: Malory Towers
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Moose »

Hmm weird but I always hated Noddy. Not sure why - maybe I was too old, at 6 or 7 when I started reading Blyton, for him? Maybe he was meant for much younger children? I just didn't care for the stories or the illustrations or anything about him really.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.
Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion.
I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.
Time to die.

EF
Nicky

Post by Nicky »

the naughtiest girl

well i was only little
rogoz

Post by rogoz »

' Five on a Treasure Island ' aged about 8.

I found this book in a secret cupboard in a Children's Home. They actually believed kids shouldn't waste time reading books so they hid them away ! Strange but true.
Raine

Post by Raine »

I was a bookworm from such a young age that I couldnt say for sure...

But I did like the Noddy books, and I remember being young enough to feel just a little bit scared at the introduction in one of the books "In the dark dark woods..."

My personal favourite was "The Faraway Tree" stories. I got them out of the library so many times it was ridiculous!!!! And when I finally found a copy at a second hand bookhop I was stoked, although strangely enough I didnt seem to read it as much when I owned a copy!
Phil55

Post by Phil55 »

At the age of 7 I was given The Mystery of the Secret Room and The Secret Island. I t was the start of a life-long passion. I still carry a Blyton book with me to work every day ... they are a great treat during a 30-minute lunch break .
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

Welcome Phil. Yes, The Mystery of the Strange Messages and the Secret Island are absolutely great. They certainly should be able to convince anyone to read Blyton!

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

I had loads of Blytons read to me as a child, but I think the first one I actually read myself would be 'Fireside Tales' which was in the 'sunshine' library. The first 'novel' I read was probably 'The Enchanted Wood' or maybe 'Mr Galliano's Circus' - I can't really remember (must be getting old!)
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Amelia Jane

Post by Amelia Jane »

When I was 4, I spent a fortnight's holiday at my cousin's house. Her mother read us The Magic Faraway Tree each night. I was spellbound every night and remember being especially :shock: at the idea of a Land of Goodies. :D
Comerscroft

Post by Comerscroft »

Mine was 'Mary Mouse and the Dolls House' in about 1958

Mary Mouse went to work for a family of dolls---Daddy, Mummy, Amelia, Pip and Roundy. Daddy Doll went to work, and Mummy Doll looked after the children. Amelia had golden hair and loved dresses, while Pip was the boy, and Roundy was the baby.

Very dated and unPC nowadays, but I loved these Mary Mouse stories because they gave a sense of stability, and gave me, a slow reader, an opportunity to practise reading.

These were 'strip' books, something like a cheque-book in appearance, and are now extremely expensive and sought-after!