What was the first Blyton book you read?

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Moonraker

Re: What was the first Blyton book you read?

Post by Moonraker »

Ming wrote: I had to read Here Comes Noddy Again! to Aarham, half an hour ago, hoping he'd fall asleep - he did not.
We thought of Aarham earlier today whilst in Woolworth's. They had a large 'cuddly' Noddy that sang!

[thinks: Christmas pressie for Anita?]
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Moonraker wrote:[thinks: Christmas pressie for Anita?]
I've no objection at all to a cuddly Noddy toy. It's only the stories that I don't much like! :P

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Aurélien
Favourite book/series: Book: The Boy Next Door / Series: Famous Five
Favourite character: Noddy

Post by Aurélien »

Anita remarked:
I've no objection at all to a cuddly Noddy toy. It's only the stories that I don't much like!
Yes, Anita, one outgrows EB's 'Noddy' books, as I did at about the age of 7, going on 8. But, if some of them were among the very first books one read independently as a youngster, the 'Noddy' books are likely to leave such a powerful impression that you reach for them when years later you're looking for books to read to a 3-year-old. * Looking for his 'I Came Back to NODDY' T-shirt *

Would you care to share with us what went wrong in your case, Anita, so that you dropped Noddy for good?

‘Aurélien Arkadiusz’

Edit:

* Clarifying his question * I mean, did you either not read the Noddy books as a young girl, or did you find them less than satisfying in some way when reading them?
Last edited by Aurélien on 13 Nov 2008, 03:09, edited 3 times in total.
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Aurélien wrote: Would you care to share with us what went wrong in your case, Anita, so that you dropped Noddy for good?
That would keep a psychiatrist busy for hours! :lol:
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Aurélien wrote:Would you care to share with us what went wrong in your case, Anita, so that you dropped Noddy for good?

Edit
:

* Clarifying his question * I mean, did you either not read the Noddy books as a young girl, or did you find them less than satisfying in some way when reading them?
:lol: I feel as if I'm lying on a psychiatrist's couch or something!

Have to admit that the fact that I didn't own any Noddy books as a child may be a factor. I read a handful at friends' houses when I was about six (Noddy and Tessie Bear being one of them, I recall) but, although I liked the colourful illustrations, I found the stories dull and over-long. Funnily enough, at that time I didn't even realise that the Noddy books were written by Enid Blyton. I was familiar with her short story collections like Chimney Corner Stories and Mr. Pink-Whistle's Party etc (Deans) and Everyday Stories etc (Purnell Sunshine Library), finding the tales in those collections concisely-written, tightly-plotted, varied and stimulating. I devoured them eagerly, ever-hungry for more. And I had also read several Blyton novels, including The Enid Blyton Book of Brownies , the Galliano's Circus books and the Naughtiest Girl series. Compared with those, the Noddy stories seemed long-winded, repetitive and banal. As an adult I've read several more and still find them disappointing. When my son was little I read him a few Noddy titles (he quite liked them but wasn't mad keen), one of the most boring - as far as I was concerned anyway - being You Funny Little Noddy. I didn't consider Noddy to be at all funny in that story - only dreary as he moped around feeling sorry for himself. Having said that, some Noddy stories appeal to me more than others. Noddy and His Car is one I rather enjoy, being particularly well-constructed and containing some quirky passages/conversations which could have come from one of Lewis Carroll's "Alice" books. And, while some of Noddy's little ditties make me wince, others raise a smile - like this one from Noddy and the Bumpy Dog:

I like your helmet, Mr. Plod,
I like your funny nose,
And if I peeped inside your boots
Perhaps I'd like your toes!
I like your big and boomy voice,
I like your buttons bright,
But Mr. Plod, I do not like
To dream of you at night!

It could almost be an Ern/Fatty collaboration, talking about Goon! For some reason, I can imagine it being read in a Frank Spencer voice.

Probably what I object to most about Noddy is that he is so prominent these days. Everyone seems to have heard of Noddy but not of Mr. Twiddle, Mr. Galliano, The Six Bad Boys, etc. It's a pity (in my opinion, at least!) that, of all Enid Blyton's creations, Noddy is the one that is promoted above all others!

Anyway, I haven't "dropped" Noddy and may well return to the books one day, especially as I haven't yet read the whole of the main series. But I have to say that I'm not in any hurry to do so! :lol:

Anita

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:
Probably what I object to most about Noddy is that he is so prominent these days. Everyone seems to have heard of Noddy but not of Mr. Twiddle, Mr. Galliano, The Six Bad Boys, etc....
I so agree there, Anita. That is one reason why I get irritated with the Famous Five. Why is the Five portrayed with such favour? Whwen is the last time you read in the press "...Enid Blyton, one of the most prolific of children's authors, writer of The Five Find-Outers and Dog series as well as Six Bad Boys..." - it's always Noddy, Famous Five and Secret Seven!
Anyway, I haven't "dropped" Noddy and may well return to the books one day, especially as I haven't yet read the whole of the main series. But I have to say that I'm not in any hurry to do so!
Society Member
Aurélien

Post by Aurélien »

Anita wrote:
Have to admit that the fact that I didn't own any Noddy books as a child may be a factor. I read a handful at friends' houses when I was about six (Noddy and Tessie Bear being one of them, I recall) but, although I liked the colourful illustrations, I found the stories dull and over-long. Funnily enough, at that time I didn't even realise that the Noddy books were written by Enid Blyton.
That explains it, then, Anita. In my case, those 'Noddy' books I met in my early years had considerable impact 'cos:
  • some of them were read to me before I learnt to read;
    they were among the first books I read independently, at about 4 and a half;
    the colourful illustrations had a strong impact; and (one you didn't mention)
    I desperately wanted to drive Noddy's car.
Like you, I read a number of Blyton's throughout my childhood years without recognizing - and learning to look for - her name until quite late in the day.

Anita added:
Probably what I object to most about Noddy is that he is so prominent these days. Everyone seems to have heard of Noddy but not of Mr. Twiddle, Mr. Galliano, The Six Bad Boys, etc. It's a pity (in my opinion, at least!) that, of all Enid Blyton's creations, Noddy is the one that is promoted above all others!
Hmmm...are they actually being overpromoted, Anita, or is it possible that the prominence of the Noddy books has grown out of the great (and long-lasting) significance our early experiences have for us?

Thanks for answering my query in such detail. Your posting has helped me both to get a better grip on the Noddy end of EB's range and to sharpen up my memories.

* Thinking: I wonder what Tony's childhood memories of the Noddy books are, and especially I wonder if he had the same burning desire to get behind the wheel of Noddy's car. Okay, I know he wouldn't be seen dead in it these days, at least not wearing Noddy's outfit. *
‘Aurélien Arkadiusz’
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Aurélien wrote: * Thinking: I wonder what Tony's childhood memories of the Noddy books are, and especially I wonder if he had the same burning desire to get behind the wheel of Noddy's car.
Ah well, our Ming had no such qualms!

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Aurélien wrote:In my case, those 'Noddy' books I met in my early years had considerable impact 'cos:
  • some of them were read to me before I learnt to read;
    they were among the first books I read independently, at about 4 and a half;
    the colourful illustrations had a strong impact; and (one you didn't mention)
    I desperately wanted to drive Noddy's car.
If I had come across the Noddy books slightly earlier it may be that I too would feel more nostalgia for them and like them better (even if, looking at them as an adult, I judged other Blyton stories to be tighter and better-paced.)

Though of course, continuing to like/returning to Enid Blyton books beyond the usual age-limit is more than simply a nostalgia trip. There are some Blyton titles which I only discovered as an adult, several of which are now among my favourites, eg. House-at-the-Corner, The Land of Far-Beyond and various nature books.
Aurélien wrote:Anita added:
Hmmm...are they actually being overpromoted, Anita, or is it possible that the prominence of the Noddy books has grown out of the great (and long-lasting) significance our early experiences have for us?
Hard to say, but I think it could be the eye-catching and much-loved illustrations by Beek and other artists that have helped keep Noddy "alive" for so long.

Anita

Society Member
Aurélien

Post by Aurélien »

Anita wrote:
…of course, continuing to like/returning to Enid Blyton books beyond the usual age-limit is more than simply a nostalgia trip. There are some Blyton titles which I only discovered as an adult, several of which are now among my favourites…
This is where I lost out, :( Anita, and it was entirely my own fault. I moved on from EB's books at about the age of 16, and only came back to them in my early 60s after retiring, when I began cataloguing my personal library. Oh in the years between I did flip through several dozen Blyton's sighted at book sales and in shops selling second-hand books, but - and this was a tad off-putting - even on the rare occasions when they were titles I had read as a kid they were almost never my editions, with the familiar, fondly remembered illustrations.

Of course, such deplorable behaviour brought with it its own awful punishment - Gollyw__s how it did! Nowadays, when cheap copies of vintage Blytons are almost never found at booksales and in second-hand bookshops, I'm left regretting :( all those missed opportunities to build up a reasonably good Blyton collection. Not having access to most of the original texts is dreadfully limiting, but I've only myself to blame. :oops:

‘Aurélien Arkadiusz’
Last edited by Aurélien on 14 Nov 2008, 00:29, edited 1 time in total.
Aurélien

Post by Aurélien »

Anita wrote:
… I think it could be the eye-catching and much-loved illustrations by Beek and other artists that have helped keep Noddy "alive" for so long.
Yes, as a youngster I loved those brightly coloured pix in the 'Noddy' books, even though the coloration now seems a little too basic.

*Remembering drooling over Noddy's car.*

And thanks for that photo of Ming perched on top of a replica model of Noddy's car, Moonraker. Taken at an Enid Blyton Day, one supposes?

And, talking of Ming, will someone please reassure her that the words "lively" and "spritely", which I used to describe her postings here are neither insults nor intended to be patronising. Then :wink: she can stop wasting time consulting on-line English dictionaries, and get back to her homework assignments...and her posting.

‘Aurélien Arkadiusz’
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Aurélien wrote: And, talking of Ming, will someone please reassure her that the words "lively" and "spritely", which I used to describe her postings here are neither insults nor intended to be patronising. Then :wink: she can stop wasting time consulting on-line English dictionaries, and get back to her homework assignments...and her posting.

Worry not, Aurélien; it will take much more than that to cause her concern! In fact, calling her lively and spritely is far more polite than some of the things I have called her over the years! :twisted:
Society Member
Philip Mannering
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure Series and Family Novels
Favourite character: Fatty and Jack Trent.

Post by Philip Mannering »

Moonraker wrote:
Anita Bensoussane wrote:
Probably what I object to most about Noddy is that he is so prominent these days. Everyone seems to have heard of Noddy but not of Mr. Twiddle, Mr. Galliano, The Six Bad Boys, etc....
I so agree there, Anita. That is one reason why I get irritated with the Famous Five. Why is the Five portrayed with such favour? Whwen is the last time you read in the press "...Enid Blyton, one of the most prolific of children's authors, writer of The Five Find-Outers and Dog series as well as Six Bad Boys..." - it's always Noddy, Famous Five and Secret Seven!
Good points, Moonraker and Anita. I also get irritated by the Famous Five being so very popular at the moment, having two TV series (three if you count the new cartoon one) while the Find-Outers have none. How I would love to see a TV adaption of this series done properly. Could this happen? I don't think so, since the Find-Outers are far less popular than the Famous kids. We can but dream though! :D

:idea: How about a TV series of the Barney Mysteries and Secret series as well? And how about some film of some of the shorter series, such as the Six Cousins, and the one-offs such as House-at-the-Corner?
"A holiday — a mystery — an adventure — and a happy ending for dear old Barney!" said Roger. "What more could anyone want?"
"An ice cream," said Snubby promptly. "Who's coming to buy one?" The Rubadub Mystery
Philip Mannering
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure Series and Family Novels
Favourite character: Fatty and Jack Trent.

Post by Philip Mannering »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:I was familiar with her short story collections like Chimney Corner Stories and Mr. Pink-Whistle's Party etc (Deans) and Everyday Stories etc (Purnell Sunshine Library), finding the tales in those collections concisely-written, tightly-plotted, varied and stimulating. I devoured them eagerly, ever-hungry for more. And I had also read several Blyton novels, including The Enid Blyton Book of Brownies , the Galliano's Circus books and the Naughtiest Girl series. Compared with those, the Noddy stories seemed long-winded, repetitive and banal. As an adult I've read several more and still find them disappointing. When my son was little I read him a few Noddy titles (he quite liked them but wasn't mad keen), one of the most boring - as far as I was concerned anyway - being You Funny Little Noddy. I didn't consider Noddy to be at all funny in that story - only dreary as he moped around feeling sorry for himself. Having said that, some Noddy stories appeal to me more than others. Noddy and His Car is one I rather enjoy, being particularly well-constructed and containing some quirky passages/conversations which could have come from one of Lewis Carroll's "Alice" books.
Anita
I have never read Noddy (as mentioned several times elsewhere), and I'm not in any hurry to do so (with what you say about them, Anita!); but the other short series' collections look interesting. Our bookstore has some Popular Rewards books such as "The Enchanted Table", and others. :idea: I'll check them all out, they might be far interesting than SS! It will be amusing, though, when you look into it: first I read Famous Five and Secret Seven and the rest of the major series, and then some of the family novels, and suddenly I read short story books and the Popular Rewards whixch I should have read long ago! It's like getting up and up, and then going down! :lol:

The circus books and the nature books are not available here, although I would like to read them. Must wait I suppose....
"A holiday — a mystery — an adventure — and a happy ending for dear old Barney!" said Roger. "What more could anyone want?"
"An ice cream," said Snubby promptly. "Who's coming to buy one?" The Rubadub Mystery
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

Philip Mannering wrote: How I would love to see a TV adaption of this series done properly. Could this happen? I don't think so, since the Find-Outers are far less popular than the Famous kids. We can but dream though! :D
I had a dream, last night, that I was directing the Mystery movies. Each movie was over 2 hours long, set in the proper period, no alterations but certain additions. And that some of them were the "Movies of the Year". :lol:

Don't worry Aurelien, lively and spritely are very nice words!! I need to take revenge on a certain person here, though. :twisted:

Society Member