What was the first Blyton book you read?

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Julian
Favourite book/series: Six Bad Boys/Famous Five/St Clare's/Wishing Chair
Favourite character: Julian/Janet/Carlotta

Post by Julian »

The first Blyton book I ever read was, Five Go Adventuring Again, a few year ago. I didn't even know about Enid until I read this book. Beleive me I was hooked and Enid became my favorite author!

Before starting with Enid, I was hooked to The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by SC Lews...
  • ♥♣ Møh@mð Hä§åÑ♥♣
Thanks to Nigel for my avatar! :)
Boodi
Favourite book/series: The Six Cousins & The Five Find-Outers
Favourite character: Susan Longfield & Ern Goon

Re: What was the first Blyton book you read?

Post by Boodi »

Noddy (I loved his car!!) and Brer Rabbit when I was very young. When I was about 8 years old my mother gave me the Mystery of the Invisible Thief. I felt very grown up indeed and thought it was a really adult book. After that I became hooked on the Five Find Outers, and remained so.
"I mean - unless you saddle and bridle and groom your own horse, it isn't a real horse!" (Jack Longfield, Six Cousins at Mistletoe Farm).
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

That is pretty much how I came into Blyton, Boodie! I have always had a special love of Noddy, as this was the first Blyton series I read; and i loved Uncle Remus' Brer Rabbit books as well! Thief was a special favourite of mine too, although I think the first one I read was Disappearing Cat.
Society Member
Laura
Favourite book/series: Five Find Outers, Adventure Series.
Favourite character: Fatty (so original!)

Post by Laura »

I have never actually read the Noddy books! :shock: My first Blyton was a three-in-one edition of the Faraway Tree stories, given to me when I was about four or five, and I didn't even realise who had written them, so to speak, or that the author had written any more books. :roll: The first one that I read by myself was "Five go Adventuring Again", when I was six or seven, and I loved her books ever since.
Society Member

Nothing is impossible for the man who doesn't have to do it himself.
Pippa-Stef
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: Julian/ Bill Robinson/ Sally Hope

Post by Pippa-Stef »

It was either Noddy, when I was very little, but it was most probably Five on Mystry Moor

I started in the middle of the series! Lol!
Last edited by Pippa-Stef on 24 Apr 2008, 20:19, edited 1 time in total.
"You're so sharp you'll cut yourself one day!" Hunchy said going to the door
"So my Mother told me that when I was two years old!" said Julian and the others giggled.

http://worldofblyton.wordpress.com/
Alicia
Favourite book/series: malory towers
Favourite character: why,alicia of course!

Post by Alicia »

Tales of Betsy-May
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Pippa-Stef wrote: I started in the middle of the series! Lol!
Dont worry I started with The Sea of Adventure; also in the middle of a series. Then I read backwards to Island then picked up properly at Mountain. :roll: What a rigmarole. I'm pretty sure I did'nt read most of the series' in chronoligical order the first time round.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Kate Mary
Favourite book/series: The Treasure Hunters/ Five Find Outers
Favourite character: Barney

Post by Kate Mary »

I can recall having only one Noddy book as a young child, I can't remember which one, it made very little impression on me as I was deeply in love with Rupert Bear when I four. The first Blyton I can remember reading was "The Magic Faraway Tree" and that book haunts me still. I wish I still had that copy!

Kate.
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

The first book I ever read was The Treasure Hunters, and I couldn't put it down until it was finished. I remember the sheer excitement towards the end, as the children raced against Mr Potts to find the treasure. A delightful book, and I still felt that same rush of urgency when I read this book, a while back, for the review.

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
dsr

Post by dsr »

I mentioned "Don't be Silly, Mr. Twiddle" earlier on (about two years earlier! :) ), but on thinking again I think "Naughty Amelia Jane" might have been my first. I was perhaps about 4 (I was an early reader) and I know I wasn't old enough to realise she was a doll - I thought she was a girl.
DSR
Maggie Knows

Post by Maggie Knows »

I was given Treasure Hunters, Smugglers Top and Kirren Island Again for Xmas when I was seven.

When I realised FF was a series I started at the beginning. Shame there was no sequel for Treasure Hunters...
Tweenid
Favourite book/series: "Mystery" and "Adventure"
Favourite character: Bets

Post by Tweenid »

My first was "The Mystery of the Disappearing Cat"-it started a life-long love for the Five Find-Outers that has never relinquished to this day!
"Food always tastes SO much nicer out of doors!"
In my teens,I wanted to be Anne from the Famous Five.
In my twenties,I realised I was.
Petermax

Post by Petermax »

At my infant school I recall the Chimney Corner stories being read to us, pretty daring I suppose back in the early 1970's for a state school teacher to endorse Enid Blyton! The first proper Enid Blyton books that I read for myself must have been the Boy Next Door and Mr Twiddle at the age of seven, plus the numerous short story collections. All of these books were hardbacks and probably read by my aunts and uncles who were children in the early 1950s.
Billie

Post by Billie »

If it wasn't a Noddy book, and I can't be sure of that, it was the first Secret Seven book. I had a paperback three-in-one given to me for Christmas when I was about 7. I followed it up with the next 3 in the series at a school book fair (in those folding grey box/thingies they brought in to primary schools for book week) and then the year after that, the first two Famous Five books in the same style and from the same place.
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

The first EB book I remember being read to us at school was 'The Enchanted Wood'. Our teacher read us a chapter or two each afternoon just before 'home time'. This must have been when I was about 6 or 7, about 1977/78.

About a year later we performed 'The Little Green Imp' from Cameo Plays Book 4. I have since bought a copy of this play for old times sake! I played the duck (quite a small part, which was made even smaller by being cut in half and shared with a little girl who played 'duck number 2'!)

It was a fun play to perform, and we included a dance of the dolls in it too! I remember someone playing the golliwog and actually 'blacking up' for the part! :shock:

Quack! :shock: :lol:
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member