Famous Five Fluffs

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Sooty
Favourite character: George

Re: Famous Five Fluffs

Post by Sooty »

Thanks, Anita. The magic of The Secret Island is now infusing my head thanks to your signature.
Ian

Post by Ian »

I’m not sure if this qualifies as a ‘fluff’ but does indicate a lack of continuity in character development - In ‘Five on a Treasure Island’ Uncle Quentin is an impatient, irritable and bad-tempered character with no liking for children.

However, at the end of the book, when the family becomes rich, he miraculously transforms into a kind and loving father who apologises for previously being bad tempered etc, the reason being that he was frustrated at not earning enough money to provide for his family. Great! Happy ending, Uncle Quentin has turned over a new leaf!

However, at the start of ‘Five Go Adventuring Again’ he has completely reverted to his former personality. He is introduced as being irritable and not liking children and usually continues to remain like this throughout the rest of the series.

I understand that it’s probably more interesting for the reader to have him like he is rather than turning into an Aunt Fanny clone but it’s a shame for George that she never really got the reformed father she thought she’d gained!
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Good point Ian!

I remember noticing that as a child. I thought that as Quentin had no more money worries, he would be a more relaxed fun loving guy in the next books.

As you rightly stated, I was totally wrong to think that! :oops:
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Bertie
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers, Famous Five.
Favourite character: Fatty & Buster, George & Timmy.

Post by Bertie »

Yeah, I agree, Ian and Pete.

I particularly thought it was harsh how they used punishing Tim as a threat for George to behave - and then did end up sending him out to live in the cold kennel.
Society Member
Barnard
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers Series and Adventure Series.
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Barnard »

It was Mr Roland who insisted on the cold kennel.
Bertie
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers, Famous Five.
Favourite character: Fatty & Buster, George & Timmy.

Post by Bertie »

True, Barnard. As you say, Mr Roland suggested it (and we obviously know why). But as it was the Kirrin's house, then it was still up to Quentin and Aunt Fanny to actually decide on the punishment. And very poor of them to agree with the suggestion and send poor old Tim out into the cold. And it was in keeping anyway with the tactic of threatening to punish Tim (or send him away) if George misbehaved, which they adopted in that book.
Society Member
Debbie
Favourite book/series: Adventure Series
Favourite character: Anne

Post by Debbie »

I think with Uncle Quentin there's an aspect that he's quite old-fashioned in the "children should be seen and not heard" type way. With Mr Roland, he's remembering how George played him up (and let's face it, she could be as awkward as they come) and wanting to present an "adult" united front. Mr Roland fooled him, but he did play the part of a learned man, which Uncle Quentin respected.

We do see aspects of softening from Uncle Quentin. I don't think he ever tells George that she's got to get rid of Timmy after book 2. He is sometimes unsympathetic to her adoration of Timmy, although at times she can be a little bit ott in her "Timmy is everything" so I can see a parent getting frustrated.

He does still not like being disturbed when he's working. But I suspect a lot of children, possibly more nowadays with work from home, would have similar experiences. I remember my dad used to tell us we had to be quiet when he was watching golf because we'd disturb the players!
Yes, he is still short-tempered, but so is George! I'd suspect with modern eyes they're probably both autistic, possibly with ADHD too. Both tend to focus on things obsessively and dislike plans being disrupted for a start off! I think if you look at his temper after the first couple of books it's mostly about being distracted when he's focusing on things, combined with forgetting what it was really like to be a child.
Hannah

Post by Hannah »

I think I've written it before but it never crossed my mind that George might be autistic - and I'm autistic myself and certainly think sometimes "that person might be autistic" when reading a description of someone.
Uncle Quentin - maybe.
ADHD didn't cross my mind either but I'm not as experienced with that as with autism.
I see George as a girl who is strong willed and grew up rather lonely without other children which explains her behaviour for me.
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Interesting points.

I didn't read the Famous Five books in order and had already read several others by the time I got to Five on a Treasure Island, so I knew the mild-mannered Quentin wouldn't last!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member