Famous Five Fluffs

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: Famous Five Fluffs

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Brodie obviously feels very involved with the world of Kirrin - good for him!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Hannah

Post by Hannah »

There are other books where Timmy is hauled up by a rope (Secret Trail is an example) but something like that isn't mentioned in Treasure Island.
Bertie wrote: 20 Nov 2023, 20:44 (my post is about two-thirds down page one)...
Just a little hint for further postings, Bertie: You can link directly to a posting by using the little symbol left of "by <username>". It contains the url to the posting so the page will "jump" to the linked post instead of opening on top.
Society Member
Bertie
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers, Famous Five.
Favourite character: Fatty & Buster, George & Timmy.

Post by Bertie »

Thanks for that hint, Hannah. I didn't know that and I'll try it out the next time I need it. :)
Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

Anita Bensoussane wrote: 21 Nov 2023, 19:02 Brodie obviously feels very involved with the world of Kirrin - good for him!
I'm loving it. He likes to play-act as Julian, and then assigns roles to whoever's with him. This week Gran had to be Anne and Grandad was Dick. Last week I was George and Daddy was Dick. He just needs more people to round out the Five :lol:
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Hannah

Post by Hannah »

@ Bertie: I've just noticed that the symbol is at a different place on the phone - left to the date and time.
Society Member
GloomyGraham

Post by GloomyGraham »

In almost every Blyton story involving a pet dog, I used to read the chapters and then think 'how the heck did TImmy (etc) get up or down that tree, well, tunnel, etc' lol
Morgan Jones
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five

Post by Morgan Jones »

I believe I’ve mentioned this before a long time ago, but in the book Five Get Into a Fix the sex of Aily’s pet lamb Fany changes as the book progresses.

At first the lamb is referred to as “he”, then becomes “it” for a while, and by the end of the novel it is referred to as “she”! I’m no expert when it comes to Welsh names, but, as I understand it, the name is pronounced “Fay-nee” rather than “Fanny” - though I’ve no idea if it tends to be a male or female forename.
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult...
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Enid does seem to have had trouble at times with remembering the sex (or gender??) of animals in her stories. Mr Pink-Whistle's cat, Sooty, is a "he" in some stories and a "she" in others. Lucky, Jimmy's dog in the Galliano's Circus trilogy, is definitely a "she" most of the time, but two or three times in Hurrah for the Circus!, Lucky gets referred to as a "he" — I think in each case it's when another character, rather than Enid-as-narrator, is speaking about Lucky. Then at one point in the same book (and this is in the narrator's words), Lotta's new horse Black Beauty, who has been consistently male since his introduction, suddenly becomes "so startled that she stood up on her hind legs", just in that one sentence!

The most bizarre example, though, came up a few years ago when Anita was posting a link each week to Enid's letters to children in The Teacher's World magazine, and I think this was from some time in the early 1930s. Enid referred regularly to her two dogs at the time, Bobs and Sandy, both of whom were "he". Then all of a sudden, one week Enid announced to her readers that Sandy had just had puppies — and thereafter Sandy was referred to as "she", for several months until the puppies were grown up and all sold, at which point Sandy became "he" again!! :shock:

I know Enid was known for not always being strictly factual in her accounts of her home life for young readers (her older dog, Bobs, continued "writing" his own letters in Enid's column for several years after the real Bobs had died, for example), but Sandy's sex change and subsequent reversion have had me baffled ever since I read that series of letters... :roll:

(Sorry this has gone off the specific topic of Famous Five Fluffs!)
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
timv

Post by timv »

I expect that Enid was always more interested in the storyline and working out the plots than in getting the logic of what happens right - and she wrote at speed too. But there are one or two episodes in the FF series that did make me wonder when I first read the books 'how come she didn't notice this?' , though most only appeared when I read them again later at more leisure. One of the ones that I noticed was relating to Timmy, again - he is supposed to have a superb sense of hearing and smell and to be able to warn the children of lurking baddies, so how come they were caught by surprise down the wreckers' tunnel in Five Go Down To The Sea? They walk down the tunnel from the tower to the cave where the smugglers are storing their goods, and are inspecting the place when the latter creep up and lock them in. Yan eventually finds them. But how does Timmy not hear or smell the crooks creeping down the tunnel up to the cave door?

This is more like the scenario in numerous episodes of Scooby-Doo, where our heroes and the incompetent dog keep on getting locked up by the crooks and never think to post a 'guard' on the door every time they go into a secret room or cave - or to take out any keys that are in the door when they arrive! I suppose you can work out a logical explanation, eg the strong smell of seaweed in the tunnel confusing Timmy....

If the plot aim was to get them trapped for hours and so available in the cove after dark to see the smugglers at work, how about having them trapped in a cave on the beach by an unexpected high tide - as Jack is caught by the tide and has to wait for ages as he is escaping from his first search of the Big House on the cliff to contact Prince Paul in Spiggy Holes?
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Regarding animals which change sex, a dog called Leppi in Three Boys and a Circus is also referred to as "he" in some passages and "she" in others.

Society Member
Sooty
Favourite character: George

Post by Sooty »

How about there being no electricity at Tremannon Farm, yet Mr Penruthlan listens to the radio…
Kate Mary
Favourite book/series: The Treasure Hunters/ Five Find Outers
Favourite character: Barney

Post by Kate Mary »

Enid is not guilty with this one. In the 1940s the wireless would have used an accumulator which would have been recharged at the local cycle shop, garage or hardware shop. You always had two accumulators so you could use one in the radio while the other was being recharged.
"I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." Oliver Goldsmith

Society Member
Sooty
Favourite character: George

Post by Sooty »

Well I’ll be — today I learned.

Another moment from the same book that confuses me is Dick telling George that Timmy can’t hear them down the passage — despite them being able to hear him.
Boatbuilder
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Famous 5, Secret Seven, Five Findouters

Post by Boatbuilder »

Sooty wrote: 18 Feb 2024, 06:41 How about there being no electricity at Tremannon Farm, yet Mr Penruthlan listens to the radio…
There were battery-operated radios around from the 1930s made by Ever Ready.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... i=89978449
Last edited by Boatbuilder on 18 Feb 2024, 10:23, edited 1 time in total.
"You can't change history as that won't change the future"

John's Pictures of Suffolk - https://suffolk-world.com/

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Good to see you posting, Sooty!

Society Member