Would you be seen reading a Blyton in public?

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
anne1991

Re: Would you be seen reading a Blyton in public?

Post by anne1991 »

So I suppose they arnt THAT cool...but yes of course I would, because they are easy to read and easy to become completely immersed in, so it would take the boredom out of a long bus ride! And also now 'geek chic' is sort of fashionable, I think an enid blyton book might add to a hipster look anyone might be trying to create! :P
I think people make their own faces, as they grow - Enid Blyton
Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

I acquired a particuarly battered copy of the Big Enid Blyton Book last year, for which I would only have got a few pence in our second hand "grot-box".

However the content is splendid, with something for all ages and interests, including some hard to get sections. So I decided to leave it on the Wishing Chair outside the shop at Corfe Castle for anyone to dip into. The condition is so poor that it it gets rained on it won't matter! :lol:

I'm not sure how much use it gets, but I have seen some people comfortably sat down on the Wishing Chair and engrossed in whatever has caught their eye :D

Viv

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/book ... lyton+Book" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017
poddys
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five
Favourite character: Dick

Post by poddys »

Viv of Ginger Pop wrote:I acquired a particuarly battered copy of the Big Enid Blyton Book last year, for which I would only have got a few pence in our second hand "grot-box".

However the content is splendid, with something for all ages and interests, including some hard to get sections. So I decided to leave it on the Wishing Chair outside the shop at Corfe Castle for anyone to dip into. The condition is so poor that it it gets rained on it won't matter! :lol:

I'm not sure how much use it gets, but I have seen some people comfortably sat down on the Wishing Chair and engrossed in whatever has caught their eye :D
That's a great idea Viv. I certainly wouldn't be worried about being caught reading Enid's books in public. My wife bought me a 2nd hand copy of a Secret Seven book for my birthday, because it was published the year I was born.

I have seen so many adults reading Harry Potter books in public, I would definitely defend myself if I got questioned. I still love the stories. However - if I was reading Noddy on the bus instead of The Famous Five I might get "really" funny looks :)
I went on some great adventures reading the Famous Five books.
Enid Blyton Creator of The Famous Five
Darrell71
Favourite book/series: Adventure series
Favourite character: Darrell Rivers, Bill Smugs, Kiki, Elizabeth Allen,

Post by Darrell71 »

Sorry to bump up an old thread, but I noticed that most of the posts are from adults. As far as kids go, I definitely think almost no one my age reads Enid Blyton openly (at least where I live), it's all about Chetan Bhagat, Game of Thrones, Harry Potter, John Green, and a lot of other more complex/young adult fiction. Enid Blyton was something most kids either read when much younger or scorned even then, now, though I know a few like me who still really enjoy her books, only one of my friends dares to read it in public, I totally don't. :oops: In fact, my friends think I don't read it at all anymore so they even suggested giving all my EB books away to some charity so that I'd have space for other books! :shock: :shock:

As for you others who posted on this thread previously, I'm interested to know if anything has changed in your views on reading a Blyton in public!
You can call me Sunskriti!
Machupicchu14
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five/The Naughtiest Girl
Favourite character: George Kirrin/ Elizabeth Allen

Post by Machupicchu14 »

Darrell71 wrote: totally don't. :oops: In fact, my friends think I don't read it at all anymore so they even suggested giving all my EB books away to some charity so that I'd have space for other books! :shock: :shock:

That is indeed very sad :( who in the world would think of doing that!

I take my Blyton books everywhere I go, and I don't find anything embarrassing in reading them in public. On the other hand, I feel quite proud if anyone sees me reading one. Enid Blyton is part of my identity and when people see I'm reading her books, I'm showing part of my character. Enid Blyton is one of the best writers in the world and in my opinion her books are suitable for adults and children alike.
"All, everything that I understand, I understand only because I love."
(все, что я понимаю, я понимаю только потому, что люблю)
Lev Tolstoy

You can call me Machupicchu14 or María Esther

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

I used to feel a bit like I was 'too old' for Enid Blyton, when I was about 14 - 20 years old - but since then I'm not too bothered who sees me reading EB books. Most of my friends and relations all know I am a big Blyton collector, and so if I'm reading one no one thinks anything of it!

I might not read one on a train or a bus...but then again I never go on a train or a bus! :lol:
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
db105

Post by db105 »

For me it's not really an issue, since I mostly read ebooks on my kindle. However, yes, I guess I would be a bit self-conscious about openly reading a children's book in public, not just Enid Blyton. :oops: However, I'd say that one cares less about those things as an adult than as a teenager. Teenagers are more insecure and self-conscious about doing something that might be regarded as childish by their peers.
Darrell71 wrote:In fact, my friends think I don't read it at all anymore so they even suggested giving all my EB books away to some charity so that I'd have space for other books! :shock: :shock:
:wink: Just tell them that they have sentimental value for you.
----------------------------------
“I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?”
― Stephen King, The Body
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

"Would you be seen reading a Blyton in public?"

In a word: YES!!! :mrgreen: I have been quite often, in fact. :wink:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

I don't suppose I would as I don't read books in public, only at home or at work. Most of my family and friends know that I belong to this society and that I collect Enid's books and other children's authors. Only my son tends to tease me about it.
Society Member
Darrell71

Post by Darrell71 »

Machupicchu14 wrote:
Darrell71 wrote: totally don't. :oops: In fact, my friends think I don't read it at all anymore so they even suggested giving all my EB books away to some charity so that I'd have space for other books! :shock: :shock:

That is indeed very sad :( who in the world would think of doing that!
Yep! I like the space for other books idea, :wink: but at the cost of my Blytons? Never.
db105 wrote:Teenagers are more insecure and self-conscious about doing something that might be regarded as childish by their peers.
I totally agree, and though I'm embarrassed by the fact that I don't dare to read them in front of my friends, I've told them that I still love my Blytons, so I think i'm safe now! :)
Machupicchu14 wrote: On the other hand, I feel quite proud if anyone sees me reading one. Enid Blyton is part of my identity and when people see I'm reading her books, I'm showing part of my character.
I find it pretty awesome that you're proud of it. It is a part of my character as well, but one I hide! :oops:
I guess in the society over here reading Blytons at my age corresponds to a lack of maturity and maybe even a lack of development, and I wouldn't like to risk anyone thinking that.
Machupicchu14
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five/The Naughtiest Girl
Favourite character: George Kirrin/ Elizabeth Allen

Post by Machupicchu14 »

I don't get why someone would think you have a lack of development and maturity just because they see you reading an Enid Blyton book. What are 'teenager books' anyway? Are teenagers supposed to read a Hunger Games book rather than a Blyton one?
I'm 14, and at the first occasion, the book I would choose is a Fairytale, because I love them, and I'm not embarrassed to show people I really like them.
"All, everything that I understand, I understand only because I love."
(все, что я понимаю, я понимаю только потому, что люблю)
Lev Tolstoy

You can call me Machupicchu14 or María Esther

Society Member
Darrell71

Post by Darrell71 »

Machupicchu14 wrote:I don't get why someone would think you have a lack of development and maturity just because they see you reading an Enid Blyton book. What are 'teenager books' anyway? Are teenagers supposed to read a Hunger Games book rather than a Blyton one?
I guess that's just how it is. Teenagers are usually more into young adult these days, and though I really like YA Fic too, I like Blyton equally as much. I'm not saying this is how it is all over the world, but over here, even from my parents, I've had some raised eyebrows and 'are you sure you should still be reading this?' comments. I'm not excusing the fact that I don't have the guts to read Blyton in public, just analyzing why this may be the case.
Machupicchu14 wrote: I'm 14, and at the first occasion, the book I would choose is a Fairytale, because I love them, and I'm not embarrassed to show people I really like them.
Well here's another 14 year old who genuinely admires you! :D :D
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Even when I became a teenager, back in the distant past (1984!) it was seriously 'uncool' to read Enid Blyton. From the age of 12 until I was about 21 I didn't read any. I was 'too grown up'. At school we were encouraged to read books like 'The Chocolate War' and 'Lord of the Flies' and 'Across The Barricades'. I didn't really enjoy any of them very much, but they were school books we had to study.

I'd say that all through secondary school, and also sixth-form, I hardly read books at all. Doing O Level English Literature, and then A Level English Literature, reading became a chore. I didn't read any books at home, and only skim-read the books we had to study. My love of reading was killed by my studies.

Once I finished at college (for about ten years anyway - I went to uni as a 'mature student) I began reading at home again - and went back to reading Enid Blyton almost at once. They were suddenly cool again! ;-)
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
db105

Post by db105 »

Machupicchu14 wrote: I'm 14, and at the first occasion, the book I would choose is a Fairytale, because I love them, and I'm not embarrassed to show people I really like them.
Actually, fairy tales are fashionable for adults nowadays. One of the books I'm occasionally reading is "The Original Folk and Fairy Tales of the Brothers Grimm", with a very cool "adult" cover (adult in the sense of "grown-up", not of "sexual content"). Besides, the original fairy tales are much darker than the Disney versions. However, there are many adults who would feel self-conscious about reading books with juvenile covers in public. There was a lot of talk about that when the Harry Potter books were being published. Many adults who never read children's books were reading those, and some felt embarrassed to do so in public. In fact, editions with "adult" covers were published because of that. Of course, the books ended up being so popular that soon there was nothing unusual about seeing adults in the subway or wherever reading them.
----------------------------------
“I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?”
― Stephen King, The Body
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Rob Houghton wrote:Even when I became a teenager, back in the distant past (1984!) it was seriously 'uncool' to read Enid Blyton.
My distant past is slightly earlier, Rob. I can assure you that I had the mickey taken out of me for reading Blyton - and especially for wearing a Famous Five Club badge in 1960. It was considered babyish to read any Blyton - both by my peers and by my teachers.

I went into the closet aged 10, and stayed there until I was almost 50! I then 'came out', and have no problems in being seen reading Blyton and other children's books in public.
Society Member