The Mr Pink-Whistle Thread

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...

Which is your favourite collection of Mr Pink-Whistle Stories?

The Adventures of Mr Pink-Whistle
40%
Mr Pink-Whistle Interferes
30%
Mr Pink-Whistle's Party
30%

Total votes: 10

Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: The Mr Pink-Whistle Thread

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I've enjoyed reading your comments, RainbowJude.
RainbowJude wrote:I'd love to see someone sit with all the Mr Pink-Whistle stories ever written, those collected in these three books and those which are housed in other anthologies, and repackage the lot in a series of hardcover books that resemble in size and layout the 2008 Harper Collins editions of the Noddy series. I would love to see the stories illustrated in full colour in the way those books are in a classic storybook illustration style like that of Rene Cloke. Obviously, there would be more books as the Noddy books aren't all that thick, so I'd like to see the stories grouped by theme. For example, there could be Mr Pink-Whistle and the Bad Bullies, which would include 3 or 4 of the stories about Mr Pink Whistle dealing with bad boy bullies, or Mr Pink-Whistle Goes to School, which could include some of the adventures of Mr Pink-Whistle when he sets things right at school. There could also be books themed around looking after one's pets or books about parties and presents. What would also be super is if somehow the series of books followed some kind of progression in difficulty.
That sounds like a super idea, especially if other things were done to help promote the books. For example there could be jigsaws, soft toys, colouring books and board games in the shops, cartoons on TV, Christmas lights with a Mr. Pink-Whistle theme in large towns, and McDonald's could give away Mr. Pink-Whistle toys with Happy Meals, e.g. plastic figures of Mr. Pink-Whistle and Sooty, little puzzles such as the ones where you move the squares within a frame to create a picture, small booklets containing one of the stories done as a comic strip, pink whistles to blow through (with stickers on them showing Mr. Pink-Whistle and Sooty), etc.

I'll come back to one or two of your other points later, when I have more time.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
un PC
Favourite book/series: Valley of Adventure, Enchanted Wood, Boy Next Door
Favourite character: Moon Face

Post by un PC »

In today's hysterical climate, Mr Pink Whistle would almost certainly be arrested on suspicion of being a paedophile.

Sad but true :roll:
Death to political correctness
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

RainbowJude wrote:I enjoy the stories where Mr Pink-Whistle simply rights an unfair situation most and also am very fond of the stories where Mr Pink-Whistle finds a creative punishment for naughty children, resulting in a change of their behaviour for the better. I like it less when Mr Pink-Whistle gets a bit too spiteful in his punishments and it is at moments like that when I'm not certain the person involved learned their lesson in the end. I guess I don't like them as much because, in moments like those, Mr Pink Whistle seems to become the very thing that he feels is wrong with the world.
That's something that occurred to me when I re-read the stories as an adult, but which I didn't notice as a child. My daughter picked up on it though, admitting to me when she was about seven that she didn't much like Mr. Pink-Whistle. In her opinion he was a smug, self-satisfied man who enjoyed dishing out punishments and seemed to relish inflicting pain upon young miscreants. Although I'm a Pink-Whistle fan myself, I have to concede that he does on occasions lay into some badly-behaved youngsters with a certain amount of glee and gusto, for example in the story 'Mr. Pink-Whistle Goes to School':

...he [George] hit Harry hard on the back. Mr. Pink-Whistle grinned. A fight? Well, he would join in as well. He would repay both George and Harry the smacks and slaps and biffs and thuds that they had many a time dealt out to the younger children.

So, quite invisible, he hopped in and out, dealing a slap here and a smack there, and making the boys yell in pain, and go for each other all the more.

Biff! That was George hitting Harry on the nose. It began to bleed.

Smack! That was Harry hitting George on his right eye. It began to go black at once.

Thud, bang, slap! That was Mr. Pink-Whistle doing his share!

That "Thud, bang, slap!" does suggest a degree of relish, but personally I'm inclined to give Mr. Pink-Whistle the benefit of the doubt. He's a kindly man on the whole and I believe he actually derives his satisfaction from seeing that justice is done, rather than from administering biffs and bashes. After all, he is just as eager to reward those who deserve it as he is to punish those who behave badly. He generally operates by giving thugs and cheats a taste of their own medicine but I don't think it's a case of justice taking the form of revenge - rather, it's that Pink-Whistle deems it necessary for rogues to stand in the shoes of their victims in order to fully understand the implications of their own actions. In 'Mr. Pink-Whistle and the Balloon' he changes Jim's prized collection of marbles into balloons for Susie, as Jim burst Susie's balloon deliberately and made her cry. Jim is heartbroken but Pink-Whistle says to him, "You needed a lesson, my boy, and you've had it. Learn from it and it won't be wasted. You have had to give up something you really loved yourself in order to make up for robbing someone else of something they loved. Remember what it feels like and be kinder in future." It's not merely a question of tit for tat but serves the purpose of making Jim feel the way that Susie felt, hopefully jolting him into thinking seriously about his bullying behaviour and its effect on others. Jim has reaped what he sowed and his punishment is fitting, relating directly to his actions. The same applies to the rewards received by those who act in an especially generous, brave or selfless manner.

It's rare for wrongdoers to be left completely unaware of Mr. Pink-Whistle's intervention. In the vast majority of cases he reveals himself when he feels things have gone far enough and makes sure the people concerned have learnt from their experience. In 'Mr. Pink-Whistle Goes to School' he doesn't simply punish George and Harry, and leave it at that. He invites them to tea at his house, where he bathes their wounds and gives them bread, honey and cake. While they're eating he speaks to them sternly, telling them, "You know, I always think that if mean, unkind people get treated meanly and unkindly themselves sometimes, they learn how horrid it is. Of course - they sometimes need more than one lesson - perhaps two, or four, or even six!" But when the boys promise that they won't require any further lessons Mr. Pink-Whistle says, "Bless us all, you can come again as often as you like - so long as you don't need another lesson from me, but only a nice tea! Now do take another piece of cake each - just to show there's no ill-feeling between us!" George and Harry needed a sharp shock to begin with but ultimately it is Mr. Pink-Whistle's kindness that most impresses them - his readiness to appeal to their better nature and urge them to start afresh instead of writing them off as no-hopers.

Mercy is an inextricable part of true justice and, in Enid Blyton books, after being suitably punished people are usually given a second chance and encouraged to mend their ways. When the Jones family leave their tabby-cat to starve while they go away on holiday ('A Puzzle for the Jones Family'), Mr. Pink-Whistle ensures they feel what it is like to go hungry by making himself invisible and whisking away their supper, then their breakfast the next morning and then their lunch, distributing the food among poor cottagers. By that time the Joneses are crying with hunger and their cat feels sorry for them, begging, "Please Mr. Pink-Whistle, don't punish my family any more. I can't bear it. They are all so hungry, and I know what it is to be hungry. I thought I would be pleased when I saw them getting as thin and miserable as I got when they were away. But I find that I am not pleased, I am only sorry."

Mr. Pink-Whistle replies, "You are a good and kind little cat. I think you are right. We won't punish them any more. I will get them some food and speak a few words to them." Once people have been taught a sharp lesson, Pink-Whistle is all for showing compassion and allowing them to start anew.

Many of Enid Blyton's non-Pink-Whistle short stories demonstrate similar lessons. Characters get their just deserts - or their "just desserts" in the case of one greedy boy who is spirited away to Treacle-Pudding Town! The best of the stories are the ones which avoid anything too extreme or humiliating, containing apt and imaginative punishments or simply showing the inevitable consequences of behaving in a certain fashion. The thing I do take issue with in the Pink-Whistle books is that the naughty children, especially the bullies, are almost invariably boys.
RainbowJude wrote:I also found a couple of the stories involving adults in Mr Pink-Whistle Interferes a bit hard going, namely "Mr Pink-Whistle and the Money Box" and "Mr Pink-Whistle and the Eggs", the latter of which I ended up enjoying nonetheless. I think this was because the grown-ups seemed much more real than fantasy adults like Dame Gentle or Mr Mean: because they were realistically depicted members of the community, I found their transgressions all the more shocking and, at times, downright creepy.
Regarding the stories involving grown-ups, I don't think there's much indication in those that the adults have genuinely learnt their lesson and intend to reform. They are left scared, puzzled and publicly humiliated to the point where they stop their criminal behaviour at least for the time being, but are they really sorry? Mr. Smarmy says he is ('Mr. Pink-Whistle and the Eggs') but I'm not convinced. The fact that Mr. Smarmy looks so horribly creepy in Rene Cloke's illustrations probably doesn't help! In The Put-em-Rights the Tramping Preacher says he preaches to children but not to grown-ups because, "I can't make a better world out of men and women. They're hard to change." And maybe that's why the Pink-Whistle stories revolving around adults are less satisfying (though some are still entertaining) - because the grown-ups are more set in their ways and appear to have less potential to change. Even their names reflect their personalities - Mr. Smarmy, Mr. and Mrs. Twisty, etc...!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Silky moon
Favourite book/series: Five Go Off In A Caravan
Favourite character: Moon Face

Post by Silky moon »

I love Mr Pink-Whistle. Very kind, but not afraid to mete out summary justice when needed
I refuse to read censored Enid Blyton books
Nair Snehalatha

Post by Nair Snehalatha »

I love Pink whistle-- the little brownie who goes round giving those what they deserve.In these.present times, a person like Pinkwhistle would be like manna from heaven--.but would Pinkwhistle ever be happy in our world which is getting wickeder by the day? Its betterPinkwhistle stays happy where he is .
IceMaiden
Favourite book/series: Too many to mention! All of them!
Favourite character: George

Post by IceMaiden »

RainbowJude wrote: 11 Sep 2010, 05:55
1. Are you a fan of the Mr Pink-Whistle stories? Why or why not? Do you like some stories more than others? Which is your favourite and/or least favourite Mr Pink Whistle story?

Yes, I like Mr Pink-Whistle and prefer him to Mister Meddle. My favourite of the books is Mr Pink-Whistle Interferes, probably because that's the one I had as a child and have fond memories of reading it over and over again. I liked all the stories, in particular the one with the balloon marbles and there were times I would read the chapter where he goes to school to sort out a couple of nasties and wished he could come to my school to do the same!

2. Have you got a favourite Mr Pink-Whistle illustrator, in regard to both cover and internal illustrations? Who? Why do you like his/her work so much?

My copy of Mr PW Interferes was a Dean's edition and I've always maintained that outside of the originals, the Dean's books had the best illustrations by a long long way. I always prefer the original just because it is the original but the Dean's copies did do a more appealing impression of some characters, Pink-Whistle and Moon-Face being two.

3. Do you think Mr Pink-Whistle has a place in today's world?

Yes, I think all of Enid's stories and characters should have a place in today's world and I firmly believe it would be much better for it. I also equally firmly believe that reading her books should be on the national curriculum, required teaching and non-optional for anyone, no excuses. They should be as vital as the three R's as what you learn from them is every bit as important.

4. Mr Pink-Whistle originated as a series of short stories, which have been collected in the books listed in the poll. It seems to me that the books aren't as popular as they used to be. How would you like to see the stories re-launched and or re-packaged for the children of today?

Reprint newer versions that look and read exactly like the originals. I detest, despise and loathe modern reprints in any way whatsoever. They are abhorrent. The Devil's work.

5. Would you like to see Mr Pink-Whistle make a jump to other media - television, film, animated shorts, comic strips, toys and so on? If so, what would you like to see?

Absolutely not, they'd be guaranteed to make it PC claptrap. Another thing I cannot abide. Plus CGI to boot which I find unwatchable. Leave him in book form the way Enid Blyton intended.
Society Member

I'm just an old fashioned girl with an old fashioned mind
Not sophisticated, I'm the sweet and simple kind
I want an old fashioned house, with an old fashioned fence
And A̶n̶ ̶o̶l̶d̶ ̶f̶a̶s̶h̶i̶o̶n̶e̶d̶ ̶m̶i̶l̶l̶i̶o̶n̶a̶i̶r̶e̶