What Enid Blyton book are you reading right NOW!

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Re: What Enid Blyton book are you reading right NOW!

Post by pete9012S »

'It's much easier now that I've had a tidy up!'

Can you put your hand on it Katharine?
That was the first thing that came into my mind when I thought of your book collection! :wink:
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Ha ha - brilliant.

I'm not blonde though. ;)
Society Member
Anjalli
Favourite book/series: Find Outers, Famous Five, Secret, Adventure series
Favourite character: Fatty, Jack, George, Barney, Darrell, Bets, Dinah.

Post by Anjalli »

I just started The Island of Adventure, loved the way Kiki played up to Aunt Polly. She couldn't resist and allowed the children to stay plus there was a sizeable cheque too. Looking forward to the series as I love all the books.
The Chief looked at Fatty. "Brains are good, courage is excellent, resourcefulness is rare," he said, "but generosity crowns everything, Frederick. One of these days I'll be proud of you!" - "Vanished Prince".
Anjalli

Post by Anjalli »

Almost to the end of the book, Bill and Philip are going to walk through the secret passage under the sea towards the island. It started some way down the well. It is very scary and frightening 🫣, imagine the restless sea water booming above your head, thinking if a hole suddenly appeared in the sea bed, what would happen? I get goosebumps reading that part, the funny thing is I have read this book so many times but I still feel the same at this part.
The Chief looked at Fatty. "Brains are good, courage is excellent, resourcefulness is rare," he said, "but generosity crowns everything, Frederick. One of these days I'll be proud of you!" - "Vanished Prince".
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Just goes to show the power of words - especially in the hands of a gifted writer like Enid Blyton! The Island of Adventure always makes me want to go searching for a Great Auk. I understand Jack's longing to find one and I share his love of birds.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Anjalli

Post by Anjalli »

Anita, I had so wanted Jack to find the Great Auk on the island as he was so obsessed with it. I really admire Jack and Kiki in the series and looking forward to reading the rest of the books. Bill was right up there in my admiration too. EB had a way with words, definitely👌.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

I longed for Jack to find a Great Auk too. Jack is my favourite character - an adventurer who is keen to follow his dreams. We see quite a lot of him on his own in various books, and I enjoy reading about his photography. As for Kiki, in my opinion she's the best of all Enid Blyton's animal characters. She'd be such a comfort to have around during a hair-raising adventure.

Society Member
Bertie
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers, Famous Five.
Favourite character: Fatty & Buster, George & Timmy.

Post by Bertie »

I love Kiki as well, Anita. She's probably my joint favourite of Enid's animal characters, along with Timmy. Even though I've pretty much always had cats rather than dogs, my love for them (and how they've shown love for me) feels very similar to how George and Timmy are described and I've always really identified with that.

But Kiki is such a great character and I've always wanted a Parrot as a pet because of her. Though as I've always had at least one cat, it's never really been a realistic possibility.

The Island of Adventure is a fantastic opening book in a wonderful series and I always thoroughly enjoy it no matter how many times I've read it (the last time was late December / early January, when I started re-reading the series once again!)
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

I must admit I hate the idea of birds being kept in cages so I wouldn't have a parrot unless it could fly free, just like Kiki. As I'm allergic to feathers I'm afraid that having a bird sitting on my shoulder would be no good for me anyway, sadly!

Society Member
Bertie
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers, Famous Five.
Favourite character: Fatty & Buster, George & Timmy.

Post by Bertie »

Yes, just think how many times it would have to tell you not to sniff and to use your handkerchief! :)
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

:lol:

Society Member
Anjalli

Post by Anjalli »

Kiki is kind of like human in her thinking, she would say things at the most appropriate times. Yes Bertie, she is one of the best pets next to Timmy and Buster. It was funny how she plagued the life out of Gussy, but hey, I am getting ahead of myself now😁.
Nair Snehalatha

Post by Nair Snehalatha »

Am reading Mystery of the strange messages-- A grand read-- I live to think of the findouters getting up in the morning, meeting in Fatty's shed and finding out clues and suspects--- What a lovely life!!how I wish I was one of them --
TheAngryPixie

Post by TheAngryPixie »

The Faraway Tree series

I love it. It is my favorite. Blyton was so creative with the different lands.
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

Anjalli wrote: 23 Mar 2024, 15:41 Almost to the end of the book, Bill and Philip are going to walk through the secret passage under the sea towards the island. It started some way down the well. It is very scary and frightening 🫣, imagine the restless sea water booming above your head, thinking if a hole suddenly appeared in the sea bed, what would happen? I get goosebumps reading that part, the funny thing is I have read this book so many times but I still feel the same at this part.
Island is my favourite Adventure book (and I think it was the second from last one I actually read for the first time). It's funny that reading these books as a child, you love the action, and even feel slightly envious of the adventures Blyton's literary children enjoy. And yet reading it as an adult, there is NO WAY I'd want to do anything as dangerous as these things! I even feel that little bit nervous walking into a cave on a beach these days in case of falling rocks. The scene where Bill, Philip, Jack and Kiki are trapped in an underground mine with the sea flooding in is horrifying and more like something from a Hollywood action adventure movie than a children's book from the 1940s!

Of course, Five on Kirrin Island Again at least threatens a similar scenario, but the explosion and flooding doesn't take place. But then, how could you destroy the lovely Kirrin Island?