What Enid Blyton book are you reading right NOW!

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Re: What Enid Blyton book are you reading right NOW!

Post by John Pickup »

When I re-read the Adventure series a couple of years ago, I rated Ship at the bottom of my favourite list. Nothing seems to happen until Bill arrives except for the baiting of Lucien. I agree that Mr Eppy is a nasty villain but his ruthless nature isn't apparent until the action moves to Thamis. Ship was also the first book in the series that I read.
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

The Ship of Adventure isn't a favourite of mine either, John, though I rate it more highly than Circus or Mountain. The "baiting of Lucian" is painful to read about as Lucian is a good-hearted boy, eager to make friends and keen on history, stories of treasure, etc. Living with his intimidating uncle has made him a nervous wreck but he has the potential to grow in confidence and capability if only people would give him encouragement and support rather than mock him.

Having said that, there is much to commend the book and I still thoroughly enjoy reading it. I just don't love it as much as Valley, Sea, Castle, River and Island. Many parts are absorbing and inspiring and it contains some wonderful elements. Who could dislike a book which features a ship in a bottle, a monkey, a treasure map, islands and a labyrinth? :D
Stephen wrote:I'd never heard of French Morocco before.
A French protectorate and a Spanish protectorate existed in Morocco at the time, so you had "French Morocco" and "Spanish Morocco".
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Ship of Adventure isn't really a favourite of mine, but its one of those books I enjoy for reasons other than just the adventure. I love the details of being on board the ship, what the weather is like, and the feeling you get of accompanying the characters on a cruise around the various locations - its very autobiographical from Enid's point-of-view and much of what she describes is from personal experience, which adds another layer.

Currently I'm reading two Enid Blytons. That's often the case, as I tend to read one short story a night and also a chapter or two of a full novel. I'm still reading Five On Kirrin Island Again - about a chapter or two a day - and for my 'short story book' now I've finished Tales of Betsy-May (which I enjoyed a lot) I'm reading 'The Book of Brownies'. Admittedly, its not a short story book as such, but sufficiently different to 'Kirrin Island' for me not to confuse the two, lol!

Its a long time since I last read The Book of Brownies. In fact, I don't think I've read it since I was a child! It was also one of the very first 'chapter books' I had - along with Binkle and flip. I had the Dean version back then but now I'm reading an earlier edition with illustrations by Ernest Aris. As an avid reader of the Tasseltip books (Ladybird) as a child, I've always loved Ernest Aris' illustrations. There are a few rabbits in The Book of Brownies that look very much like Tasseltip! :D
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

As I've said before, The Enid Blyton Book of Brownies was the first "chapter book" I ever read, just after my fifth birthday. I was enthralled by it and I remember feeling down in the dumps when I'd finished it because I didn't want to leave the exciting world of Hop, Skip and Jump. At the time, I didn't realise just how many wonderful Enid Blyton books still awaited me!

Even as an adult, I find The Enid Blyton Book of Brownies extremely inventive and witty - not to mention moving at times. Hop has quite a lot in common with Fatty of the Find-Outers as he acts as the "leader" of the trio and is "rather fat", greedy, clever, brave, fond of tricks, good at making up rhymes, full of himself and bursting with madcap schemes. Like Fatty, he sometimes does a little dance of joy when a good idea comes to him. Binkle Bunny in The Enid Blyton Book of Bunnies (later re-titled The Adventures of Binkle and Flip) shares many of the same traits.

The brownies visit some remarkable lands, two of my favourites being the Land of Clever People and Giantland. I also loved the Saucepan Man and was overjoyed to meet him again in the Faraway Tree series.

It was only as an adult that I learnt that Enid Blyton had written more (though shorter) stories about the three brownies. Tales of Hop, Skip and Jump (Sunny Stories for Little Folks No. 38, January 1928) and Hop, Skip and Jump Again (Sunny Stories for Little Folks No. 46, May 1928) each have six chapters and make for interesting reading. Hop, Skip and Jump (assuming they're the same characters) also pop up in a short story called 'Guess Again!' published in Enid Blyton's Magazine Volume 1, No. 2, April 1 1953. Sammy Smart-One annoys them with his constant questions and riddles (reminding me of the Very Wise Man in the Land of Clever People!) but Hop thinks of a riddle that Sammy can't answer. The idea is for the reader to have fun trying to solve the riddle.

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

I like The Ship of Adventure very much. The children were a bit hard on Lucian,but most kind to the poor little monkey that was being cruelly treated.

The book has left me with a strong penchant for ships In a bottle. I'm now always on the lookout for them when on holiday anywhere.

Here's a quick snap of our kitchen mantelpiece.
The ship in the bottle came from a small Greek Island we visited some years ago:

" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

I bet you haven't even looked for a treasure map in that bottle, Pete? You could be missing out on a fortune!

I agree about The Book of Brownies, Anita - so inventive! In fact I think the same can be said for many of Enid's earlier books - such as The Queer Adventure / Yellow Fairy Book, and The Green Goblin Book (Feefo Tuppeny and Jinks) etc - all very similar in that they are 'quest' books and very entertaining in their inventiveness. :D
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
IceMaiden
Favourite book/series: Too many to mention! All of them!
Favourite character: George

Post by IceMaiden »

I love Ship. More than the adventure itself,which I do like a great deal, it's the location of this book that gives it real appeal. I think it's very atomspheric, a perfect read for a lazy hot summer day when you can really imagine yourself on a ship in the Mediterranian, scenes like something off the P&O Cruises adverts in your mind, the drudgery of real life blissfully banished for a while. Just like Five Go Adventuring Again puts me in a cosy Christmas mood, Ship puts me in a holiday one.
Society Member

I'm just an old fashioned girl with an old fashioned mind
Not sophisticated, I'm the sweet and simple kind
I want an old fashioned house, with an old fashioned fence
And A̶n̶ ̶o̶l̶d̶ ̶f̶a̶s̶h̶i̶o̶n̶e̶d̶ ̶m̶i̶l̶l̶i̶o̶n̶a̶i̶r̶e̶
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

I've finished The Mystery Of The Strange Bundle. The ventriloquism stuff was actually quite interesting, and yes, I was standing in front of the mirror trying it out myself! But the mystery took ages to start and wasn't particularly engaging. Maybe some of the trouble was that I was reading a 'Strange Bundle' myself! My 1965 Armada edition is in tatters, and the Enid Blyton book in the worst condition so far that I've read in recent months. It's missing its back cover, and I was holding another paperback against it so avoid having to feel a rough fifty three year old page of paper!

Nevertheless, there were a few points. One line actually made me laugh out loud!
"Frederick, I couldn't help overhearing part of your telephone conversation just now - I hope you are not going to get mixed up in anything to do with that absurd policeman again."

"Not if I can help it," said Fatty, spreading butter on his toast. "Any news in the paper this morning, Dad?"

"Plenty. And I'm quite aware that you are hurriedly changing the subject," said Mr. Trotteville, drily.
Elsewhere, Buster appears to speak English!
"Wuff," barked Buster, rudely. "Wuff to that!"
I wonder if Enid subtly included that line because of the ventriloquism theme?

There's mention of the R.S.P.C.A. and Monopoly. And the Trottevilles' gardener is called Hedges!

My next book is an absolute old favourite of mine - Merry Mister Meddle.
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

I love it in Enid's books when she mentions every-day things, like Monopoly. She obviously had personal experience of the game, as in Five On Kirrin Island Again, where she states 'then they played the never-ending game of Monopoly again' or words to that effect! :lol:
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

:lol: Oh, you mean Monotony? :twisted: :wink:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

I agree wholeheartedly! I think I've only ever played it once when I was about 10 or 11 and I found it thoroughly boring! 'Cluedo' was much more my thing (which, incedentally, was created by a man who lived not many minutes away from where I live!)

https://www.express.co.uk/expressyourse ... -Mr-Cluedo
:D
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Stephen wrote:I've finished The Mystery Of The Strange Bundle. The ventriloquism stuff was actually quite interesting, and yes, I was standing in front of the mirror trying it out myself! But the mystery took ages to start and wasn't particularly engaging.
I must admit that The Mystery of the Strange Bundle has always been one of my favourite Find-Outers books, even though the actual mystery part is somewhat vague and the Find-Outers aren't as fully involved in unravelling things as they are in some of the other stories. I love it for the wintry atmosphere, the humour and the ventriloquism theme. After reading Strange Bundle as a child, I borrowed a book from the library which was about magic tricks and contained a chapter on ventriloquism. I practised being a ventriloquist (using a knitted Lamb Chop puppet) but it was difficult and I gave up after a few sessions, though I'd had fun trying!
Stephen wrote:Elsewhere, Buster appears to speak English!
"Wuff," barked Buster, rudely. "Wuff to that!"
I wonder if Enid subtly included that line because of the ventriloquism theme?
:lol: I hadn't noticed that! Do you know which chapter that's in, Stephen?

Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Rob Houghton wrote:I agree wholeheartedly! I think I've only ever played it once when I was about 10 or 11 and I found it thoroughly boring! 'Cluedo' was much more my thing (which, incedentally, was created by a man who lived not many minutes away from where I live!)

https://www.express.co.uk/expressyourse ... -Mr-Cluedo
:D
That's fascinating, Rob. :D We played Cluedo a lot when I was little — first we had an older set, then a newer one with a much more colourful and detailed board and cards (though the rooms, the murder weapons and the suspects were exactly the same as the original; I believe they've been given further makeovers since). Lots of fun. Thanks for sharing the creator's story — it's a shame he never got the recognition or the money he deserved.
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Thanks Courtenay - I agree its a sad story - and not many people in Birmingham even know the game was invented here! I guess he thought £5,000 was a lot in the 1950's - but imagine how much he could have made! I feel as if Waddingtons were a bit underhand there. :-(

I must admit Strange Bundle is one of my least-favourite Find Outer books. I think its all the ventriloquist stuff I'm not keen on, and the throwing of voices etc. However, its one book I wish I'd read first as a child, as I was fascinated by ventriloquism back then, and I even had my own 'Orville' puppet - like this one -

So I would probably have liked the book had I read it back then, rather than reading it for the first time as an adult. Then again, I hated Secret Room as a kid, due to all the stuff about orange juice and getting out of locked doors, which I found boring - and now find fascinating!

As for dogs talking English...didn't all Blyton dogs? I'm sure Timmy sometimes did, and Loony! :lol:
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Rob Houghton wrote:Thanks Courtenay - I agree its a sad story - and not many people in Birmingham even know the game was invented here! I guess he thought £5,000 was a lot in the 1950's - but imagine how much he could have made! I feel as if Waddingtons were a bit underhand there. :-(
Sounds like it, doesn't it? But probably a lot of people over the years have been persuaded to sell their rights to an invention or creation for what seemed like a good price at the time, not realising how much more money it would be making in the future. I believe Jane Austen did something similar with the copyright of Pride and Prejudice — sold it outright to the publishers and missed out on all the money it made from sales — but I think she got a different publisher after that and retained her rights to the rest of her books! :wink:
Rob Houghton wrote: I must admit Strange Bundle is one of my least-favourite Find Outer books. I think its all the ventriloquist stuff I'm not keen on, and the throwing of voices etc.
I think it was the second one I ever read (the first was Secret Room) and I found all that a bit creepy too — imagining how scary it would be to hear that voice moaning "Ooooh, I never did it! Where's my Auntie?"... :shock: I think I found the mystery a bit flat in the end, too, although it was quite an unusual and creative one. But it didn't put me off the FFO series, which quickly ended up among my favourite Blytons, especially once I read Burnt Cottage a couple of years later and learned how the band got together, so to speak. (That was also one of the most exciting and ingenious mysteries and is still one of my favourites in the series — the twist at the end was something I would never have thought of as a child. And it also taught me what "insurance" means! :wink: )
Society Member