What Enid Blyton book are you reading right NOW!

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Anjalli
Favourite book/series: Find Outers, Famous Five, Secret, Adventure series
Favourite character: Fatty, Jack, George, Barney, Darrell, Bets, Dinah.

Re: What Enid Blyton book are you reading right NOW!

Post by Anjalli »

I am almost finished reading "The children of Willow Farm'. What a beautiful book on Farm life, everything was going well and the Farm was flourishing, I just love the hay making and the taking care of animals and poultry, reaping the corn etc. What an idyllic book, I have read it a bunch of times but it's always like the first time everytime I do.
The Chief looked at Fatty. "Brains are good, courage is excellent, resourcefulness is rare," he said, "but generosity crowns everything, Frederick. One of these days I'll be proud of you!" - "Vanished Prince".
Nair Snehalatha

Post by Nair Snehalatha »

Reading..five.get into trouble-- I.love the way they cycle in.the moonlight to Owls Dene-- then sit in a pine copse and see the Bentley stopping to pick up the escaped prisoner
Bertie
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers, Famous Five.
Favourite character: Fatty & Buster, George & Timmy.

Post by Bertie »

Yes, it's a very good book. :D
Those first 8 of the FF series are all great. That marks an end point for me, though, where I'd definitely put all the remaining books, from number 9 onwards, at least one tier below. Though obviously some of them are still very good, just not the heights of the first eight for me.
Society Member
Anjalli

Post by Anjalli »

Reading The adventures of the wishing chair, what a great way the children got possession of the wishing chair. I just finished where they rescued Chinky and brought him back to live in the play room. I am enjoying it like it's the first time I am reading it and of course I wanted a wishing chair too. :D
The Chief looked at Fatty. "Brains are good, courage is excellent, resourcefulness is rare," he said, "but generosity crowns everything, Frederick. One of these days I'll be proud of you!" - "Vanished Prince".
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I've never forgotten how excited I felt on reading the opening chapters of Adventures of the Wishing-Chair as a child, Anjalli. I was young enough to wonder whether wishing-chairs really existed (to be honest, there's part of me that still keeps an eye out for one whenever I visit an antiques shop!) I loved the boxes full of curious things too, and I was enjoyably scared by the pixie who ran the shop:
He opened another box.

Out of that came a wreath of green smoke that wound about the shop and smelt strange. The little man caught hold of it as if it were a ribbon and tried to stuff it back into the box again. But it broke off and went wandering away. How he stamped and raged! The children felt quite frightened.
I've always liked the sound of the "little vase with swans set all round it" which Peter and Mollie choose for their mother. If I ever see an old vase like that, I'll buy it to remind me of the book (assuming the price is reasonable!)
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Anita Bensoussane wrote: 07 Feb 2024, 09:28 I've never forgotten how excited I felt on reading the opening chapters of Adventures of the Wishing-Chair as a child, Anjalli.
Ooh yes, same here! :D I had in fact read The Wishing-Chair Again first, because we had that book at home, so when I found my cousin had the first book, I borrowed it and was absolutely thrilled by those opening chapters. I was about 7 by then and wouldn't quite have believed one really could find a Wishing-Chair somewhere in real life, but my parents love collecting antiques and I could quite imagine how exciting it would be to explore a mysterious shop like that where you never know what you might find...

I've always liked the sound of the "little vase with swans set all round it" which Peter and Mollie choose for their mother. If I ever see an old vase like that, I'll buy it to remind me of the book (assuming the price is reasonable!)
Yes, I loved that part too — I was glad they got the vase home safely after that original, rather alarming adventure and the first flight in the chair, but I was always a little disappointed that we never got to hear what their mother thought of the present! I would love to have a vase like that one too, if I ever find one and can afford it.
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Anjalli

Post by Anjalli »

I can picture that vase in my mind and if ever I see it, will certainly try and buy it. I sometimes go past a thrift store so will check it out. I was so fascinated by the wishing chair though, I really wanted one so I could go flying off too :D
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

If I happen to come across a chair like that I'll say, "Fly to Anjalli and to Courtenay!" :D

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

:lol: I'm in Australia at the moment, so that's quite a distance — and if we also find the vase with the swans, I hope we won't squabble over who should have it! :wink:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Wolfgang »

Anita Bensoussane wrote: 08 Feb 2024, 09:31 If I happen to come across a chair like that I'll say, "Fly to Anjalli and to Courtenay!" :D
This UFO could actually cause some trouble, so, if you asked me, I'd advise you to instruct it and plan the itinerary carefully ;-)
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Wolfgang, I'm hoping the magic would automatically take care of all the pesky details people would normally have to bother with when flying a small aircraft or large drone. :D

Courtenay wrote: 08 Feb 2024, 20:51I'm in Australia at the moment, so that's quite a distance — and if we also find the vase with the swans, I hope we won't squabble over who should have it! :wink:
If I found a flying chair, I'd be so overjoyed that I'd be happy to give up the vase to you or Anjalli! :lol:

Hope you're enjoying your time in Australia, Courtenay!

Society Member
Anjalli

Post by Anjalli »

Thanks Anita 😊 we just have to find a trio of both 😀.

So I just finished the part where the goblin had put Chinky to sleep because he was going to steal the chair when the children walked in. The chair flew a great ways to get the doctor to make Chinky wake up, it was so suspenseful, had to be done before midnight. I knew what was going to happen but I still wondered. That is the wonderful thing about the EB books for me anyways, I feel like I am just reading it for the first time.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

It's a magical book. I like The Wishing-Chair Again even better as it's less episodic, but the first book contains some wonderful scenes and characters too.

Society Member
Bertie
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers, Famous Five.
Favourite character: Fatty & Buster, George & Timmy.

Post by Bertie »

As I mentioned on the Find Outers quiz thread, I've been reading Spiteful Letters.

We've had a lot of rain here recently (in my shed with the two cats now, and it's pouring down again!) A couple of days ago, I had the shed door open a little so they could look out into the garden and they were sat side by side in the doorway looking out at the bad weather as I sat reading: "Larry yawned. He looked out the window. 'This disgusting weather! Raining again! It's jolly boring!'" I could just imagine that Ginge and Beauty were having the exact same conversation as they looked out the door. :)
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

:lol: It's great when something in a book echoes what's going on around you.

Society Member