Favourite FF Covers

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Re: Favourite FF Covers

Post by pete9012S »

Great post FFFDU - It's a minefield sometimes with the Knight paperbacks.

All the books below have Betty Maxey front cover and internal illustrations.
However, only the rear cover of the first book is by Betty Maxey. The last three have front cover Maxey, internals Maxey but rear cover illustration Soper!

ImageImage
ImageImage
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

It's interesting to see a selection of Knight books from that period. Inflation was horrendous in the 1970s. My own Knight Famous Five books date from different years and the price went up tremendously:

1970 Five on Kirrin Island Again - 3 shillings or 15p (ready for when decimalised currency came in)
1971 Five Go Off in a Caravan - 17 1/2 p
1972 Five Fall Into Adventure - 20p
1974 Five Have a Mystery to Solve - 25p
1975 Five Go to Smuggler's Top - 35p
1976 Five Go Adventuring Again - 45p
1978 Five on a Hike Together - 50p
1980 Five Run Away Together - 75p

So in 1980 a Famous Five book (Knight paperback) cost five times more than it had ten years earlier in 1970!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
FiveFanDownunder
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five
Favourite character: After forty years or so I still can’t decide.

Post by FiveFanDownunder »

Anita Bensoussane wrote: 08 Feb 2022, 17:34 It's interesting to see a selection of Knight books from that period. Inflation was horrendous in the 1970s. My own Knight Famous Five books date from different years and the price went up tremendously:
I noticed this too Anita. Thanks! In Australia when I was collecting TV covers as a child, there was a whopping great silver Hodder and Stoughton sticker placed centrally on the lower back cover to hide the different recommended prices, which had almost always gone up since printing! I have an awful lot of $2.25 and $2.50 stickers, and $2.50 is the one I remember clearly. I also remember feeling sympathy for the people of New Zealand ( of whom I knew no-one ) who always seemed to have to pay a little bit more.

If you wanted the sticker off ( which seemed logical as a kid, but I now wish I'd left them alone ) it was quit an ordeal, with the adhesive usually winning out and spoiling any hope of a nice clean removal!

* Edit I've just had a look and it seems we had to pay more in Australia so that memory had obviously lost contact with reality somewhere along the way ...

I've found a set on ebay. Used to spend ages reading and then staring at the back cover once finished.