The Adventure Series!

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Re: The Adventure Series!

Post by Chrissie777 »

Rob Houghton wrote:No worries about reviving old threads, Chrissie - very enjoyable - but I was just amazed how many pages back you'd quoted from, as we had been discussing stuff more recently! It keeps us on our toes!
Rob, hope this might help: I started reading "The Adventure Series!" thread at page 8 this morning (I've read the first 7 pages a few days ago).
This thread and also "The Landscape of Kirrin" thread were (and still are) such a delight for me to read.
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Post by Chrissie777 »

We watched "Highly Dangerous" (1950) with Margaret Lockwood and Dane Clark the other night

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0042553/reference" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

which supposedly takes place in some Balkan country with an invented languge just like in "The Circus of Adventure". So maybe that was a common thing way back then, not just something EB came up with?
Any opinion?
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

I think it was indeed a fairly common thing, both in movies and books of the day. This is why, when discussing books like Circus, and River and also The Secret Mountain etc, I never think of Enid as being stereotypical or racist. Viewed through modern eyes, maybe she is being those things, but back in the 1940's and 50's it was just the way British people viewed 'foreigners' and 'exotic lands'. Their idea of such people and places was very limited, and seems to have been very much based on folklore, the Bible, Arabian Nights type tales and opera/operetta stories, etc. The characters and lands depicted weren't really meant to represent a certain race or country, just 'abroad'.
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Darrell71
Favourite book/series: Adventure series
Favourite character: Darrell Rivers, Bill Smugs, Kiki, Elizabeth Allen,

Post by Darrell71 »

I too, don't see it as particularly racist, just interesting and amusing to read. I would have loved to know how Enid imagined India, but I don't think it's been mentioned in any of the books. Strange, considering it was one of England's largest colonies at the time. I do remember there being mentions of the parents of Hilary from ST. C being in India, but that may've been from the sequels.
You can call me Sunskriti!
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Adventure of the Strange Ruby does have a few Indian elements, or attempts at the same. The ruby of the title comes from India and is said to have been one of the eyes of a great idol. During the story, the children hide out on an island that has a sort of Indian-style temple on it (despite being in Dorset!), with statues in it that sound like they resemble Hindu gods and goddesses. Mind you, the turrets on the temple are described as looking as though they "might be minarets", which are a feature of Muslim architecture, and they certainly wouldn't have Hindu-style idols in a mosque. To crown it all off (literally), one of the baddies in the story wears a turban, which would almost certainly make him a Sikh. I guess Enid was trying to give the mystery a genuine Indian flavour, but she might have done her research on specific cultures a bit better... :wink:

Further discussion of Adventure of the Strange Ruby has been moved to the following thread:

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/foru ... 4&start=60" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Boatbuilder
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Famous 5, Secret Seven, Five Findouters

Post by Boatbuilder »

I wonder if Jack was the buyer of this. :D

Giant extinct great auk replica sells for £25,000
"You can't change history as that won't change the future"

John's Pictures of Suffolk - https://suffolk-world.com/

Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

I feel like this is a fan fiction waiting to be written "Jack finally finds his great auk".
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

I have vague dreams of writing a fan fic set in Australia where Philip finds a Thylacine (Tasmanian Tiger)... :D I'd have Jack find a Paradise Parrot (also considered extinct) as well, but unfortunately those two critters come from very different (and far-apart) regions of Australia and I can't bring myself to bend the geography of my own country that far!!! :wink:

Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Maybe the parrot was blown off course in a gale and ended up in the Tiger's habitat. Jack and Philip rescue the bird as the tigers are about to eat it and then they discover that the tiger's cave has a secret passage at the back of it. They follow the passage and discover that the last Great Auk in the world is being held prisoner inside the mountain by the mad king from The Mountain of Adventure whose new plan is to use Great Auk wings to make men fly. :D :lol:
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Lucky Star wrote:Maybe the parrot was blown off course in a gale and ended up in the Tiger's habitat.
Blown off course a mere 1,500 miles or so (from southern Queensland to Tasmania)... nah, I really don't think even my most Blytonesque imaginative powers could stretch to that, sorry. Besides, everyone in Australia would just laugh at me. :wink:
Lucky Star wrote:Jack and Philip rescue the bird as the tigers are about to eat it and then they discover that the tiger's cave has a secret passage at the back of it. They follow the passage and discover that the last Great Auk in the world is being held prisoner inside the mountain by the mad king from The Mountain of Adventure whose new plan is to use Great Auk wings to make men fly. :D :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: Fantastic, except Great Auks were never found in the southern hemisphere at all. We have penguins instead!

Society Member

Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Well many Blyton books stretch credibility so why not the Fan Fic too. :lol: :lol:
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

:lol: I know, but as an Australian myself, I couldn't bear to be so geographically and ornithologically inaccurate... as I said, everyone back home would laugh at me!! :P
Society Member

Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

Lucky Star wrote:Maybe the parrot was blown off course in a gale and ended up in the Tiger's habitat. Jack and Philip rescue the bird as the tigers are about to eat it and then they discover that the tiger's cave has a secret passage at the back of it. They follow the passage and discover that the last Great Auk in the world is being held prisoner inside the mountain by the mad king from The Mountain of Adventure whose new plan is to use Great Auk wings to make men fly. :D :lol:
Brilliant John. A great plot idea... :lol: :lol:
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Wolfgang »

So you think it's improbable that a (human) family bred these birds in secret for generations, and one bird managed to escape?
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
GloomyGraham

Post by GloomyGraham »

Darrell71 wrote:I would have loved to know how Enid imagined India, but I don't think it's been mentioned in any of the books. Strange, considering it was one of England's largest colonies at the time.
Was just re-reading the Castle of Adventure and in it Bill Smugs mentioned he had been to India. That was no further description though.