Mavis the singer

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Comerscroft

Mavis the singer

Post by Comerscroft »

Mavis, the singer in 3rd Form at Malory Towers, came in to my mind, and I remembered that in Scotland, the 'Mavis' is another name for the song-thrush.

I wonder if Enid had this in mind when she called her character 'Mavis', or was it happy co-incidence?

Are there any other children/adults in EB whose names are sugestive of their characters and attributes?
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Re: Mavis the singer

Post by Ming »

Alma Pudden springs to mind! I was quite surprised to hear that there really is an Alma Pudding.

Society Member
Philip Mannering
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure Series and Family Novels
Favourite character: Fatty and Jack Trent.

Post by Philip Mannering »

Ming wrote:Alma Pudden springs to mind! I was quite surprised to hear that there really is an Alma Pudding.
That's news to me. Thanks Ming, for the information. Interesting.
"A holiday — a mystery — an adventure — and a happy ending for dear old Barney!" said Roger. "What more could anyone want?"
"An ice cream," said Snubby promptly. "Who's coming to buy one?" The Rubadub Mystery
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

Does Big-Ears count? :roll:
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

I've just been re-reading 'Second Form at Malory Towers' for the first time in years in which Miss "Nosey" Parker is described as having...

"...rather a large nose which, so the girls said, she kept putting into things that were no concern of hers. Certainly she was a most inquisitive person when she suspected any mischief was going on, and she did not rest till she got to the bottom of it."

The poor woman! What an unfortunate name. :(
Philip Mannering
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure Series and Family Novels
Favourite character: Fatty and Jack Trent.

Post by Philip Mannering »

Stephen wrote:I've just been re-reading 'Second Form at Malory Towers' for the first time in years in which Miss "Nosey" Parker is described as having...

"...rather a large nose which, so the girls said, she kept putting into things that were no concern of hers. Certainly she was a most inquisitive person when she suspected any mischief was going on, and she did not rest till she got to the bottom of it."

The poor woman! What an unfortunate name. :(
That seems to me as very unkind. :shock:

Maybe it's a reason as to why I thought this book was only average? :wink:
"A holiday — a mystery — an adventure — and a happy ending for dear old Barney!" said Roger. "What more could anyone want?"
"An ice cream," said Snubby promptly. "Who's coming to buy one?" The Rubadub Mystery
RainbowJude
Favourite book/series: Malory Towers, Adventure Series, Barney Mysteries
Favourite character: Darryl, Dick, Barney, Jack, George, Noddy, Pip

Re: Mavis the singer (Suggestive Names)

Post by RainbowJude »

I've just finished reading The Island of Adventure and I was reminded of this thread when Bill's real surname, Cunningham, was revealed. I thought it was a great name because he would obviously be cunning and having been undercover, in effect acting a part for the sake of the case, he could be considered an actor or "ham". Granted a ham is an actor who overacts, but in a sense this is what Bill has to do to keep up his front for the children, what with having to suddenly show off some knowledge of ornithology when it turns out that Jack has a genuine interest in birds.

Later days
David
Yak
Favourite book/series: St Clare's/FFO's.
Favourite character: Fatty/Claudine

Post by Yak »

I thought the Alma Pudden thing was rather unsubtle frankly :).
http://europeforum.freeforums.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

What about Rose Longfield, from the Six Cousins books? As Anita said in her review 'Rose' gives the idea of a delicate, pretty person, very beautiful on the outside. But roses have thorns too - and Aunt Rose was in reality a bitter and harsh person.

As Anita once again pointed out in her review, most of the characters in the Six Cousins books have names that show their quality. Peter means 'rock', Linnie means 'staff' - both are dependable people and know their own mind. Twigg needs no justification - his name obviously goes with his love for the nature.

Society Member
Yak

Post by Yak »

I've actually not read that *blushes*

Goon is another example of an unsubtle name .. Goon being, in England at least, a term for someone who is stupid, clumsy and inept. Poor Theophilus ! :D
http://europeforum.freeforums.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
hobbes
Favourite book/series: The Adventure series. The Famous Five. The Secret
Favourite character: Dick, Bill Smugs

Post by hobbes »

Well Angela is certainly no Angel!

Six cousins is the most obvious use of names to denote characters- Cyril, (S)Melisande and Roderick are effete names reflecting the weak charateristics of their owners.

Jacks are always strong characters

Girls with boyish names want to be boys

Georgina, Jo, Harriet, Whilemina, Roberta, Henrietta etc
Yak

Post by Yak »

I have always wondered just how much my liking or disliking of names has been subconsciously influenced by the huge amounts of Blyton i read as a child. I tend to really dislike some of the names of the less than nice chanacters in many of the books. Do I dislike them because they are fundamentally ugly names (and hence Blyton chose them for being fundamentally ugly), or do I think that they are ugly because I associate them with nasty characters who had a profound influence on my childhood?