Book to read aloud to Reception children?

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Belly

Book to read aloud to Reception children?

Post by Belly »

I have been given a regular slot to go in as a 'mystery reader' every Thursday at my elder daughter's school. (4/5 year olds).

I have about 20 mins to read aloud a favourite book to the class. I'd like to introduce some Enid Blyton but not sure what I should pick as not familiar with the 'very young' titles? Maybe a bit from a longer book. (They've said they want me to sing songs too! Help! Plan to come up with an action type song we can do after reading that may or may not connect with the book etc).

Some of the children in the class seem to be very grown up some seem to collect High School Musical pencil cases etc! I don't want to come across as too old fashioned but would be nice to come up with something that will grab them.

As we are in Singapore at a local type school English is not the first language for most of the children (that said it most speak it well). It's got to be something that will grip them. Any ideas?
Moonraker

Re: Book to read aloud to Reception children?

Post by Moonraker »

Twenty minutes is a difficult time, too long for a short story (of which there are hundreds to choose from!) and too short to complete a novel. I suppose the Wishing Chair and Faraway Tree books would be a good start, you could read a chapter or two in once session, then carry on in the next - however, they're not mystery stories. Four and Five year olds are too young for the 'R' and Find-Outers' novels, probably too young for the Secret Seven too! Sorry, I don't know why I'm posting this as it is of no help at all! It really depends on the type of mystery that they are concerned with. Image
Society Member
Belly

Post by Belly »

Thanks, Nigel.

They all seem so grown up and sophisticated. At that age I was into the Wombles...!

Some of the short stories I have seem a bit too young for them somehow. Perhaps I could adapt a bit of a nature book or something and try to bring a bit of England alive? I have a feeling that might go down well. We don't have seasons here and my daughter can't remember them! My Mum sent a photo of some trees in a wood near her at home and my daughter was completely gripped (the other children might be interested too), just rambling now!

Do you know I think if I can find an exciting bit of the Secret Seven and abridge it, it might just work?
Belly

Post by Belly »

Just to add Faraway Tree could work also. Thanks again for suggestions :D .
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Belly wrote:Thanks, Nigel.

They all seem so grown up and sophisticated. At that age I was into the Wombles...!

We don't have seasons here and my daughter can't remember them!
At that age I was still being fed! I'm a bit mystified that you don't have seasons in Buckinghamshire -- or am I missing something? :?
Society Member
jen
Favourite book/series: Secret Island
Favourite character: Jack or Phillip from Adventure

Post by jen »

My daughter had Faraway Tree read to her in reception and enjoyed it. How about SNowball the Pony? The chapters aren't too long and it is ideal for younger children. There are some others in the same vein - The Birthday Kitten, The Missing Necklace and The Very Big Secret although the last one hasn't aged very well and is rather dated.

Hope that helps!

Jen
A woman is like a tea bag - you never know how strong she is until she gets into hot water
Lenoir
Favourite book/series: FFO/FF. Five run away together, Most FFO books.
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Lenoir »

Moonraker wrote:
Belly wrote: We don't have seasons here and my daughter can't remember them!
I'm a bit mystified that you don't have seasons in Buckinghamshire -- or am I missing something? :?
Singapore isn't in Buckinghamshire anymore.

:)
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

I used to read The Wishing Chair to my six-year-old class and it went down very well. They were always keen to know what happened next and it was a good incentive for clearing up quickly at the end of the day! I imagine Reception would enjoy it too and also many of the short stories in various compilations would suit that age. I used quite a few of those too. Although this was way back in the late '50s, I don't think children's tastes have changed that much, - or not that that young age anyway!
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Lenoir wrote:
Moonraker wrote:
Belly wrote: We don't have seasons here and my daughter can't remember them!
I'm a bit mystified that you don't have seasons in Buckinghamshire -- or am I missing something? :?
Singapore isn't in Buckinghamshire anymore.

:)
To be fair, it does say Location: Buckinghamshire by Belly's name :?
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Belly

Post by Belly »

Haven't updated where I am, sorry! Thanks all for the suggestions.

I have to admit I am a bit shocked by the popularity of High School Musical with Reception aged children! Also that so many seem to think that 'Disney' is a word that goes before Princess etc. Then again my husband tells me I am out of touch! :)
lizarfau
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George

Post by lizarfau »

I think either the Wishing Chair or Faraway Tree stories would be good! Aussie kids of that age really like them and they work well for boys and girls, I think.

I think kids can seem more sophisticated than they really are. I know that at 5 my son and his mates were playing Star Wars games in the kindergarten playground and asking for Star Wars merchandising for Christmas, but not one of them had actually ever seen Star Wars. They knew the names of some of the characters from the merchandising, but their games were completely made up and bore no relation to the real Star Wars. They do still make their own entertainment and use their imaginations; it's just not always immediately apparent! :lol:

PS How long have you been in Singapore? I really liked it when I visited and keep hoping to visit again, perhaps on a stopover on a trip back to the UK.
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Belly wrote:Haven't updated where I am, sorry! Thanks all for the suggestions.

I have to admit I am a bit shocked by the popularity of High School Musical with Reception aged children! Also that so many seem to think that 'Disney' is a word that goes before Princess etc. Then again my husband tells me I am out of touch! :)
Then again, even children in Britain ( I used to teach a class of five year olds) don't really understand seasons, as our weather is all over the place! they didnt recognise snow as being a winter thing or sun as being summer, or that flowers sprouted in Spring... :?

What's amazing is that most children under the age of ten (and probably quite a few over that age :shock: ) think that Walt Disney actually WROTE Peter Pan, Alice in Wonderland, Pinochio, Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty etc!! :lol:
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Robert Houghton wrote:What's amazing is that most children under the age of ten (and probably quite a few over that age :shock: ) think that Walt Disney actually WROTE Peter Pan, Alice in Wonderland, Pinochio, Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty etc!! :lol:
Yes, I've come across that too. I was taken-aback to learn the other day that a number of children in my son's class (he's eight) have watched films like The Dark Knight and Hellboy. Or at least they claim to have seen them. And for the last few years in WHSmith they've sold pencil cases, school folders, etc. featuring Playboy logos. I think Liz is right, though, that the apparent sophistication is sometimes only on the surface.

I agree with others that a Faraway Tree or Wishing Chair book would be good, Julia, or perhaps even a Secret Seven. Since those stories form a series, some children may even be sufficiently interested to ask their parents for further titles, or look for them in the library. And I wouldn't dismiss the short stories as a possibility either. Enid Blyton's magical or cautionary tales are great for that age group, including tales revolving around characters like Mr. Pink-Whistle. If the story and song don't take up all the allotted time, you could always ask a few simple questions about the story to get the children thinking, eg. "What do you think will happen next?" (for a chapter story) or "Do you think what s/he did was fair?" Let us know how you get on!

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member