New Purchase: Enid Blyton

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

New Purchase: Enid Blyton

Post by sixret »

Hi,

I always browsing the Cave of Books to find the books that I still have not own yet. I do not mind if I don't have all the short stories series books,it is impossible for me to buy all those books!!!

But,somehow I must have all the novel/novellettes and most of the character books except Bom series,Noddy series(I don't have an intention to collect) and some of the one-off novels because of the high prices.

In addition, I don't care for picture story books, strip books and anything Noddy.

While I was browsing the Cave of Books in September, I had found that I did not have the three titles listed below.

In Malaysia,there are no charity sales,garage sales or junkyard sales but there ar many cheap books shops. But I know I won't find any obscure Enid Blyton books in those shops.

So the only way for me to have the books is via online shop i.e Abebooks or Ebay.

I ordered three Enid Blyton books in September 2008 from 2 different booksellers on abebooks because I did not find the books in Malaysia.The books are definitely not first edition.They are cheap hardcovers.

The title

Tales of Betsy-May
Tuppeny Feefo and Jinks
Circus Book

The packets arrived this week.

Thanks to Cave of Books because I referred to it WHEN I wanted to purchase those books. I found that Tuppeny Feefo and Jinks and Circus Books have other different titles. I don't want to buy wrong books especially Circus Books(Mr. Galiano,Fenella and Circus Adventure) because I have owned those books.

This website is sheer delight to me especially the Cave of Books and the forum.

I want to congratulate whoever behind this website because I know the amount of hard works.Moreover, I am forever amazed by the knowledge,deep understanding, expertise, intelligent arguments and any arguments/opinions for that matter shown by the people in this forum.Not to mention they are very friendly and helpful.

Do you purchase any Enid Blyton's books lately?

Please let us know. :wink:
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: New Purchase: Enid Blyton

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I'm glad you managed to obtain the books you wanted, Sixret, and that the Cave of Books has been/is so useful to you. The Circus Book is a great read, I think, and the other two are good too. As you probably know, all the information in the Cave of Books has been painstakingly compiled by Tony Summerfield over several years - I don't think his scanner has had a day off in ages!

I haven't bought an Enid Blyton book for a while but I recently got a copy of the new publication, The Famous Five's Survival Guide, which I haven't yet had the chance to read. And not long ago I completed my collection of Enid Blyton's Magazine - 160 or so fortnightly magazines written by Enid Blyton between 1953 and 1959. They really are delightful.

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Snubby
Favourite book/series: The Barney 'R' Mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby!!, Barney, and F5's George

Post by Snubby »

I must agree with Sixret. The Cave of Books is really a cave of treasure.

My latest purchase of Blyton's book was yesterday. I bought a 2nd hand Family Collection book consisting of 6 books from The Family series. I too came to know about these Family books browsing through The Cave of Books. I also enjoy all the book reviews there. They're marvelous. I really should not take it for granted having such a good website that everything is so neat and complete. It's actually a result of lots of work behind. Thank you Tony for all hard work you have done for years, taking care of everything especially the Cave of Books, and Keith for making this website so beautiful and user-friendly. And Anita, too, for the incredible amount of knowledge you've shared! (A special thanks for your reviews of The Barney Mystery Series, my favourite series! I don't have the books with me here since I left them at my home, so I keep reading your reviews again and again and it's as good as rereading the books themselves!)
"It is partly the struggle that helps you so much, that gives you determination, character, self-reliance—all things that help in any profession or trade, and most certainly in writing." —Enid Blyton
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Cheers, Snubby. I very much enjoyed writing about the Barney/"R" Mysteries - a series which tends to be underrated and deserves more attention.

Anita

Society Member
sixret

Post by sixret »

Thanks to Anita and Snubby.

I agree with Anita.I prefer Barney R series and FFO series to F5 series.Both series have memorable characters i.e Snubby, Loony and Miranda,Fatty and PC Goon. :P
Philip Mannering
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure Series and Family Novels
Favourite character: Fatty and Jack Trent.

Post by Philip Mannering »

sixret wrote:Thanks to Anita and Snubby.

I agree with Anita.I prefer Barney R series and FFO series to F5 series.Both series have memorable characters i.e Snubby, Loony and Miranda,Fatty and PC Goon. :P
I do too, Sixret. One more series that deserves mention: the Secret series! Like the Barney R series (another of my favourites, another which I prefer to Famous Five), they too are underrated. Also, the Adventure series are better than the Five! To me, the order of top series shall be:

1) The Adventure series
2) The Mystery series
3) The Secret series tied with the Barney R series
5) Famous Five.
"A holiday — a mystery — an adventure — and a happy ending for dear old Barney!" said Roger. "What more could anyone want?"
"An ice cream," said Snubby promptly. "Who's coming to buy one?" The Rubadub Mystery
sixret

Post by sixret »

Hi Philip,

I had typed a very long list of my favourite series with comments on each series but when I clicked submit, the forum asked me to log in,though I had log in before!!!

All the comments gone and I am too lazy to retype.50 minutes work gone :mrgreen:

Is there anyway for me to retrieve the info :? :cry:
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

You could try pressing the back button until you come to the page, sixret. It is sure to be there still if you use Firefox. Don't know about other browsers though, worth a try.

Society Member
sixret

Post by sixret »

Mine is Avant.I clicked the back button but the "post a reply" was blank. :|

Thanks all the same.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

sixret wrote:I had typed a very long list of my favourite series with comments on each series but when I clicked submit, the forum asked me to log in,though I had log in before!!!

All the comments gone and I am too lazy to retype.50 minutes work gone :mrgreen:
It's very annoying when something like that happens. I usually (whenever I remember) highlight my message and "copy" it before pressing "submit," so that if anything goes wrong I can "paste" it and submit it again.

Anita

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

If I write a very long post (which I rarely so!), I compose it on Open Office Writer or Microsoft Wordpad, then C&P it to the reply form. Unfortunately, such is the nature of the beast, that it isn't possible to retrieve a post if it fails to submit.
Society Member
sixret

Post by sixret »

Thanks Anita and Nigel.

That is what I usually do.Whether to draft on Microsoft Word or copy the whole thing first before I click submit.

But last night...

At first I did not intend to write long comments(My first intention to write the list only) but somehow I had so many ideas to write comments on why I love some series(I am one of those compulsive person).I started to write at 12.03 midnight and finished at 12.50a.m.I felt thrilled,a bit exhausted and sleepy.I guess my sleepiness had made me forgot to do the usually thing.

Then I tried to click back button but....it's gone.

Thanks for all the advice.Very much appreciated. :wink:
Philip Mannering

sixret wrote:
I started to write at 12.03 midnight and finished at 12.50a.m.I felt thrilled,a bit exhausted and sleepy.
47 minutes to write a single comment! Wow!

My longest comment is the one I wrote on the topic Which is your favourite "Adventure" book? Not only did I write my favourites, I also wrote the reasons. It took 25 minutes! And not just because of the length, I was interrupted in between because of a task. That task took me 10 minutes to do. So you can say I wrote that comment in 15 minutes.

And yes, this (not submitting properly) thing happened to me too, two times. Both times because some other person had been writing at the same time in the same thread -- when I clicked "Submit", it took me to a page where the other person's comment showed. At that time I (without thinking much, foolishly) clicked "Back" and it took me to "Post a Reply" page, only the box was empty. I had to rewrite the whole thing. What was worse that I myself was the cause. If I had thought a little more and click "Submit" for the second time probably it would've worked. Oh well...... The only good point was: the post wasn't too long; just a paragraph (although a rather long one). So it didn't take much time.
"A holiday — a mystery — an adventure — and a happy ending for dear old Barney!" said Roger. "What more could anyone want?"
"An ice cream," said Snubby promptly. "Who's coming to buy one?" The Rubadub Mystery
sixret

Post by sixret »

No Philip.Not a SINGLE COMMENT. :roll:

COMMENTS on my long list of favourite series which is definitely more than one series(singular for series?). :wink:

I took 50 minutes because it was a bit difficult for me to find the right words/sentences to express my opinion in English so that others can understand what I wanted to write.English is not my first language,Philip. :P :wink:
Philip Mannering

sixret wrote:English is not my first language,Philip. :P :wink:
English is not your first language? Well then, congratulations on being able to write so well! I go to an English-medium school, but I still very much talk in my national language, Hindi (and I'm proud of it!). However, I speak English in school and in public places. Reserving Hindi to home or holiday tours.