The new five titles

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Belly

The new five titles

Post by Belly »

First off I don't know much about the new fives that have been published, I was just struck when I visited the large Borders in Singapore how it seems that the 'original' FFs have the same front cover (style, design, character pictures etc) as the new titles.

Very soon, if not now, most people will not be able to tell an original from a 'new title' (I think someone mentioned this a while ago). Being a bit of a traditionalist I find this very sad.
Tony Summerfield

Re: The new five titles

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Belly wrote:First off I don't know much about the new fives that have been published, I was just struck when I visited the large Borders in Singapore how it seems that the 'original' FFs have the same front cover (style, design, character pictures etc) as the new titles.

Very soon, if not now, most people will not be able to tell an original from a 'new title' (I think someone mentioned this a while ago). Being a bit of a traditionalist I find this very sad.
I am not sure what you mean by this, there haven't been any 'new' Famous Five titles published in the last ten years, apart from the Survival Guide which is only just out and a completely different format and the cartoon 'Famous Five on the Case' books which look completely different. Can you elaborate?
Belly

Post by Belly »

Hi Tony

I am reasonably certain it was the 'On The Case' books that I saw.

I will take a closer look next week to compare 'covers' with the original five series. Certainly they are being displayed in the same area and at first glance the front covers look remarkably similar to the original five series in terms of artwork etc. I would say only a fan could tell which was an original title on a brief look.

Different book shops appear to have different cover styles for the original series here.
Belly

Post by Belly »

Tony, just looked at the 'On The Case' books online. I now know what they are about and can see that they have cartoon characters on the front etc.

I think because they are the same size as the original titles & are displayed in the same area that I must have been confused. That said they did look similar in 'style' to the copies they were selling when I was rushing past.

Will go back look again, sorry if I confused you, I've confused myself :) .
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Belly wrote:Tony, just looked at the 'On The Case' books online.
I hope by this you mean in the Cave of Books under Continuation Novels on our website, Julia - they have been sitting there for quite a while!