Copies of dustwrappers

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
tkurbjuhn

Copies of dustwrappers

Post by tkurbjuhn »

There seem to be copies of original dustwrappers on ebay, for example: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ENID-BLYTON-FIVE- ... 286.c0.m14" target="_blank
Is it possible to tell the difference between this copy an the original at once? For me the photo on ebay looks very original.
The background of my question is: I have such a book with wrapper, but I am unsure if the wrapper is a copy or not.
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Re: Copies of dustwrappers

Post by Lucky Star »

Hmm those certainly look very authentic tkurbjuhn. I am not immediately sure how you tell the difference by looking at a photo, I am not expert enough for that. At least this seller is being honest and stating up front that the covers are facsimiles. I wonder if he will make any money from this venture? His prices are fairly high for what is, after all, only a sheet of photocopied paper.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Nearby
Favourite book/series: Adventure Series - Castle of Adventure
Favourite character: Philip Mannering, Barney, Sooty LeNoir, Andy

Post by Nearby »

While we're on the subject of dust covers, what do people think of dust cover copies? Without going into the legal aspects, are they a good thing or bad thing?

On the one hand, they allow people to 'complete' their collection cheaply, without having to spend a lot of money. I was tempted myself, but have decided to slowly aquire the real thing.

On the other hand, they can flood the market with imitation dust cover's and have people paying a lot of money thinking they're the real thing. The seller on ebay for instance, is honest enough to state that they're copies. The buyers who might eventually sell them on however, might not have the same scruples.

I'm leaning towards thinking it's a bad thing. What say you?
Between the years of 1947-1959, Enid Blyton used 98% of the worlds resources of ! Fact.
Kitty
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers/Malory Towers
Favourite character: Alicia, Fatty, Gwendoline

Post by Kitty »

I used to have quite a few books - not Blytons - with photocopy wrappers. I have mixed feelings about them. Initially, I liked seeing the art 'on book' and they do look nicer on a shelf from a distance. On the other hand, there is a nagging knowledge that they aren't real. I think I've only got three photocopied wrapper books now, and I bought them that way from a bookshop. Eventually I decided that since I'd never have everything pristine anyway, I'd just give that side of it up, and I haven't regretted it - my priority is a reading copy, and then an upgrade as and when I find one.

I don't think there's anything wrong with people selling them and being upfront about it. And I do like heritage reissues with original art on them - the recent classic Christie hardbacks were lovely, and I have several of the early ones.
Gwendoline lay down, angry. She determined to make herself miserable and cry.