More Tea, Vicar?

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Moonraker

More Tea, Vicar?

Post by Moonraker »

Reading Charles Brand's excellent article in Journal 11, I was interested to read about the Secret Mountain Folk who made dye for their beards - "flaming red beards"!

Rooibos is a native plant of South Africa growing on the mountains (Table Mountain was used as the Secret Mountain) in that country and was used as a herbal remedy by the Khoisan tribe. Rooibos means Red Bush! As Charles says, "A strong coincidence!"

In Sainsbury's yesterday, I spotted some Rooibos Tea; needless to say I bought some. Shall I drink it or shall I dye my hair?!
Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Re: More Tea, Vicar?

Post by Lucky Star »

Did Blyton really use Table Mountain as The Secret Mountain? :shock: Well I never knew that before or even made the connection. I suppose the fact that Table Mountain is set beside a major city put me off, I always envisioned The Secret Mountain to be set in Africa's dark interior. I guess the flat top to the mountain in the book gives the game away, she just moved the mountain into a more remote jungle area. Did Enid visit South Africa then? Or perhaps just saw pictures of the mountain.
Moonraker wrote: Shall I drink it or shall I dye my hair?!
What hair Nigel? :wink: :lol: I,m sure it would be far safer to have a nice cuppa. :lol:
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Moonraker wrote:In Sainsbury's yesterday, I spotted some Rooibos Tea; needless to say I bought some. Shall I drink it or shall I dye my hair?!
In your case, I'd say the only option open to you is to drink it, old thing! :lol:

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I will quote from Journal 11:

"In the marvellous six volume edition of Pictorial Knowledge published by Newnes in the early days of Enid's career, there is a specific mention of Table Mountain with a photograph showing its unusual flat summit, just like the Secret Mountain; an impression which no doubt made on Enid's now legendary subconscious. She may of course have known about Table Mountain from other sources, but this at least proved that she was aware of it."

It should be noted that Enid was cited by Pictorial Knowledge as being Associate Editor, with the General Editor being her first husband, Hugh Pollock.
Anita wrote:In your case, I'd say the only option open to you is to drink it, old thing!
Ha ha joke!
Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I have now brewed up a cup of Rooibos tea, following Anita's suggestion.

It was of a colour I had never seen before. It was red, yet brown, with a golden hue that shimmered out of the cup. It smelled of a forest, of a land far away, of people - not like us, but human still. It tasted wonderful - a taste I hadn't experienced before. It was malty yet like coffee - but a coffee that I had never tasted.

If only Fatty had bought some, he could have saved a fortune on wigs....
Society Member
Bannerman65

Post by Bannerman65 »

As long as you enjoyed it, Moonraker....
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Moonraker wrote:It was of a colour I had never seen before.
Heh - like that mysterious unknown colour in The Mountain of Adventure?!
Moonraker wrote:If only Fatty had bought some, he could have saved a fortune on wigs....
:lol:

Wonder where Susie has got to? She's our tea expert! (Bet Nigel has already Googled to check whether there's such a thing as Rooibos Beer! :wink:)

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Lenoir
Favourite book/series: FFO/FF. Five run away together, Most FFO books.
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Lenoir »

Moonraker wrote:It was of a colour I had never seen before. It was red, yet brown, with a golden hue that shimmered out of the cup.
Yes, that's it. It’s nice with or without milk. It comes from the Cedarberg area of South Africa, north of Cape Town, so I doubt if it was ever present on Table Mountain itself. There are other flat topped mountains in the more remote areas, besides the very famous Table Mountain.

They make other things from it like cosmetics, but I’ve never seen a rooibos beer! But anything's possible I suppose.
RainbowJude
Favourite book/series: Malory Towers, Adventure Series, Barney Mysteries
Favourite character: Darryl, Dick, Barney, Jack, George, Noddy, Pip

Post by RainbowJude »

Lucky Star wrote:Did Blyton really use Table Mountain as The Secret Mountain? :shock: Well I never knew that before or even made the connection.
I too found this a fascinating connection and, like you, I'd never put the two together. I live pretty near the foot of Table Mountain - I can see it through the window in the room where I am typing this.
Lenoir wrote:(Rooibos is) nice with or without milk. It comes from the Cedarberg area of South Africa, north of Cape Town, so I doubt if it was ever present on Table Mountain itself.
I don't know whether there was ever any Rooibos on Table Mountain. But, like my Dad, I've never been a big fan of Rooibos Tea. My Dad always says that Rooibos is for sick people - and, I must admit, I only ever drink it to soothe a sore throat; even then, it's under duress.

Later days
David
Lenoir
Favourite book/series: FFO/FF. Five run away together, Most FFO books.
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Lenoir »

The streams that flow down Table Mountain are a reddish brown colour like rooibos, but it is due to something in the soil or rocks.
This photo shows one of the streams that flows down from the mountain:

River