Enid's longest book?/Award Books

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: Enid's longest book?

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Tony Summerfield wrote:I wonder who told Award they could change the title!! :lol:
And what was the point?! It's not much different to the original title!

Edit: Having just looked at the book on the website, I see that another omnibus book on offer is Adventures of the Six Cousins and that the front cover shows the cousins in the hermit's cave. The impression given is that the Six Cousins books are adventure stories - rather misleading!

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

I haven't seen the Six Cousins book, but I believe there is also a third title in it that has nothing to do with the Six Cousins at all!!
Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

There's a limit to the number of "Health Warning" type signs a hapless bookseller can put up and still actually sell anything... :shock: :twisted:

The Six Cousins is just the two volumes

Viv
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

I once saw a 2-in-1 paperback edition of the Six Cousins books which went by the title Animal Stories! :roll:

Anita

Society Member
Boodi
Favourite book/series: The Six Cousins & The Five Find-Outers
Favourite character: Susan Longfield & Ern Goon

Post by Boodi »

I have that 2-in-1 paperback edition of the Six Cousins books. It was published by Parragon Book Service Limited in 1995, the first edition being published in 1992. As you say, it is entitled "Enid Blyton Animal stories" and on the cover is an illustration of the Christmas Dinner as described in "Six Cousins Again".
"I mean - unless you saddle and bridle and groom your own horse, it isn't a real horse!" (Jack Longfield, Six Cousins at Mistletoe Farm).
Philip Mannering
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure Series and Family Novels
Favourite character: Fatty and Jack Trent.

Post by Philip Mannering »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:Edit: Having just looked at the book on the website, I see that another omnibus book on offer is Adventures of the Six Cousins and that the front cover shows the cousins in the hermit's cave. The impression given is that the Six Cousins books are adventure stories - rather misleading!

Anita
I have this edition. I didn't much like it for various reasons. Firstly, the cover. Secondly, the illustrations. And thirdly, as you mentioned, the impression is given by the title that it is similar to Famous Five and such - while it is not! It's a family book! :roll:

Also, in the section "Mystery and Adventure" (this section is also in the last pages of any Award book) The Six Bad Boys is there! Plus, House-at-the-Corner, The Family at Red-Roofs, The Children at Green Meadows and The Put-Em-Rights are there! Are they "mystery and adventure" books!? I think not!
"A holiday — a mystery — an adventure — and a happy ending for dear old Barney!" said Roger. "What more could anyone want?"
"An ice cream," said Snubby promptly. "Who's coming to buy one?" The Rubadub Mystery
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Pity Award don't categorise their Enid Blyton books more efficiently, and that they're not more flexible when it comes to selling books in small quantities. It's also a pity that the text has been updated in places. However, Award have to be applauded for producing durable, reasonably-priced and fairly attractive (for the most part) hardback editions of Enid Blyton books, and for keeping a wide range of titles in print.

Anita

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

I was wondering if the new editions of the Secret Series are in fact going to be hardbacks - they are advertised in the new catalogue as having 'foil' covers (as indeed are the three books in the Lost Necklace series). I am not quite sure what this will mean. At present the only paperbacks that I am aware of are the Barney series, and amusingly they are more expensive than Award hardbacks! :D
Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

Tony Summerfield wrote: At present the only paperbacks that I am aware of are the Barney series, and amusingly they are more expensive than Award hardbacks! :D
Confusingly I'd say.

I often show a customer a hb copy of the Secret Island, and they then ask if I have a pb. When I ask why, they cite cost.

They are amazed when I explain that the hb is cheaper than a pb Famous Five!

Award would help themselves if there was a peelable sticker on the front with the price. But the problem is that they print a high price on the back, which is then sold at 50% off.... :twisted:

Since other people this week have promoted WH Smith, Waterstones, and the Book People, I'd like to point out that the Ginger Pop Shop currently has boxed sets of Blyton's Secret Series, in hb foiled covers, for £12.50 :D

Viv
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017
Moonraker

Re: Val Biro and Gumdrop

Post by Moonraker »

Talking of Val Biro, I thought this might be of interest.

This was taken at a local school around twenty years ago. Thanks to Jane's dressmaking skills, Simon and Matthew both won first prizes in their years. Matthew is far left as Worzel Gummidge and Simon, 4th from the left (behind the boy in the red hat) and below as Wee Willy Winkie. Val can be seen at the right!

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Great piccies, Nigel - but I am sure I have seen them before in another thread.

I am now even more confused on these new Secret editions, as I have just added them to the reprints in the Cave, and apparently they were published in November last year. I guess I can be forgiven for missing them as they are not stocked by any 'proper' bookshop.
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I found THIS, but didn't realise I'd posted the pictures before. Anything's possible with my memory though!
Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Very interesting reading this thread. I also googled Val Biro and had a look at his work and some info on him. Excellent work.

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Tony Summerfield wrote:I am now even more confused on these new Secret editions, as I have just added them to the reprints in the Cave, and apparently they were published in November last year.
Thanks for adding them. I see that the pictures are more or less the same as on the 2002 covers, but with a few minor changes - mainly sharpening details and brightening (or in some cases changing) colours. I've said before that I didn't like what Peggy was wearing on the 2002 cover of The Secret Island, as it looked as if she had a purple satin cloak flung over her shoulders. Obviously I'm not the only one who thought that, as things have been slightly altered on the 2007 cover and she's now wearing a purple jumper.

Anita

Society Member
Philip Mannering
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure Series and Family Novels
Favourite character: Fatty and Jack Trent.

Post by Philip Mannering »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:Pity Award don't categorise their Enid Blyton books more efficiently, and that they're not more flexible when it comes to selling books in small quantities. It's also a pity that the text has been updated in places. However, Award have to be applauded for producing durable, reasonably-priced and fairly attractive (for the most part) hardback editions of Enid Blyton books, and for keeping a wide range of titles in print.

Anita
Award is the only publisher who publishes these books nowadays with illustrations. All the rest (Hodder, Macmillan, etc.) seem to have abandoned doing so. But while some of Award's new illustrations for the books are below average, some are also good. The person who illustrated the Barney paperbacks did a decent job I think. While the Six Cousins' illustrations are quite below average, we can do nothing about that. At least they have the illustrations.

I know what you mean by "reasonably-priced", but in some places this isn't correct. For example, the Young Adventurers series cost more than Famous Five! Even the Adventurous Four (very slim books) cost more here!
"A holiday — a mystery — an adventure — and a happy ending for dear old Barney!" said Roger. "What more could anyone want?"
"An ice cream," said Snubby promptly. "Who's coming to buy one?" The Rubadub Mystery