The Boy Next Door

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Poppy
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Adventure Series/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Andy, Jack Trent & Diana.

Re: The Boy Next Door

Post by Poppy »

Glad you enjoyed the book Katharine - it's certainly one of my favourite stand alone books - I think the idea of the story is thrilling and of course how the children go and explore and old battered Boat House really apealed to me. The description of the characters were fantastic - I could really imagine exactly how they looked. I also enjoyed reading the descriptons of the characters. A very clever plot and a fantastic outcome! :D I also predicted what was going to happen (and it didn't) and I thought it was a great twist!
"Beware of young men with long hair - that's what dad says, isn't it?"
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

I too am glad you enjoyed one of my favourite books, Katharine. Even now, I'm on the edge of my seat when Kit is trying to get away from his tutor and go with Robin to the safety of the houseboat. A great book, up there with the classics. :D

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Julie, that's the bit which had my heart in mouth. I kept telling myself this was an Enid Blyton book, so it would all come right in the end, but when Kit was hiding on top of the cupboard, I couldn't turn the pages fast enough to see what would happen next. Every time I thought he was safe there was another twist to the story. Absolutely brilliant.
Society Member
Poppy

Post by Poppy »

Yes, I certainly agree it is a classic book, though sometimes it seems that these thrilling stand alone books get lost among Blyton's well known popular series and do not seem to get much of a mention nowadays.
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I don't think I'd heard of this book when I was a child. I think I had about 3 stand alone books, everything else belonged to a series, or were collections of short stories.
Society Member
Poppy

Post by Poppy »

Yes, I have quite a number of stand alone books thanks to charity shops. I have all sorts from Smuggler Ben to The Mystery That Never Was! They are all cared for deeply and will be read many more times and enjoyed just as much!
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
Moonraker

Solitary Title

Post by Moonraker »

I used to think that a 'stand alone' book was one that would stand on the bookshelf without falling over...
Society Member
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Wolfgang »

The book is published in Germany as part of a series. It simply states written by Enid Blyton, but no reference to the original title. I dared to write an email about it to Schneiderbuch, but it seems they ignored my email. There was even a time when the German Wikipedia claimed that the series (Tina und Tini) is written completely by ghost authors.
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

I think it's now part of a series in the UK too. Either the "Young Adventurers" or "The Riddle ofs".

On a slightly related note - those series give me a headache on Goodreads. Technically a book like "The Riddle of the Hollow Tree" is a new edition of "Hollow Tree House," but I'm hesitant to combine the listing to reflect that most of the others editions are not part of any series... If I had my way they'd not be on goodreads at all, and the continuation books wouldn't be listed as written by Blyton but that's a gripe for another day.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Why not combine business with pleasure and create a 'Gripe Section' on your most excellent blog? :D
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
ledzep93
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: Timmy

Post by ledzep93 »

Fiona1986 wrote:I think it's now part of a series in the UK too. Either the "Young Adventurers" or "The Riddle ofs".
That's interesting, it now being in one of those 'omnibus' editions. My copy is a 1951 reprint, gorgeous edition, if a little tatty.
"I'll send you a telegram if I see a small, big boy with blue eyes, fair hair - and how many fingers did you say?" said Robin

The Boy Next Door
JimBerrie

Post by JimBerrie »

"The Boy Next Door" is the only Enid Blyton book this Yankee has ever read. It was a gift from my aunt in Scotland. I thought it was a nifty story, but like you I found Kit's speech patterns to be veddy British for a kid who was supposed to be an American.
Nair Snehalatha

Post by Nair Snehalatha »

''The Boy Next Door'' is one of my best loved books.R ight from the first page to the last it was fun and excitement.---too much excitement..I loved the part when the children tunnel their way through the bottom of the hedge to meet Kit.--their party on the house boat--The White Swan---how Kit pretends to be dumb ,when Mr Cunningham--the owner of the houseboat chances upon them .how he loans the children his houseboat for a slice of birthday cake.The parts which make you sit on pins and needles are those where Kit escapes from the wicked tutor ,Mr.Barton and Kit's wicked uncle.The children always seem to have a lovely time in spite of the dangers round Kit.That's Enid Blyton all over---always face upto troubles---they'll disappear soon enough.I love all her books.
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Post by Chrissie777 »

Wolfgang wrote:The book is published in Germany as part of a series. It simply states written by Enid Blyton, but no reference to the original title. I dared to write an email about it to Schneiderbuch, but it seems they ignored my email. There was even a time when the German Wikipedia claimed that the series (Tina und Tini) is written completely by ghost authors.
Hi Wolfgang,

Could you please let me know the German title of the translation.
I checked it out in the Cave of Books and it sounds like another suspenseful stand alone book.
So I put it into my amazon.co.uk market basket.
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
William E
Favourite book/series: Five on a Treasure Island
Favourite character: Dick

The Boy Next Door

Post by William E »

Merged with an older topic.

Hi Thought members might like to know that there is a Fantastic Antique book shop in Eastbourne. A wondrous place with winding passages through the piles of books.

I was guided to the Enid Blyton corner and left to search at will.
I was looking for the original story The Boy Next Door. It was like looking for a needle in a hay stack. I did not think there was much of a chance finding it.

After half an hour digging away I came across a blue book without a dust jacket. A 1954 copy. It had been bought by a boy's aunt for her nephew. A Christmas present for 1954.

Cost a couple of quid. The book shop was amazed that I had found the book I wanted. To be honest so was I.

Kit the American boy does not sound very American though. The only other American I know is from Western films. Kit Carson. Enjoyed reading this copy of The Boy Next Door.