The Boy Next Door

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Re: The Boy Next Door

Post by Lucky Star »

I got my 1965 (I think, someone has helpfully drawn a pen line through the last two figures of the date :roll: ) edition for 20p in a car boot sale. No dustjacket though.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Just had a look at the Alfred Bestal illustrations: yes: a vast improvement on Dunlop's, even though the latter artist is one of my favourite Blyton illustrators. :D

The Bestal drawings are very much 'of an era', and very clear and more exciting somehow. I do keep expecting Rupert Bear to pop up somewhere in them though!! :lol:
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Philip Mannering
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure Series and Family Novels
Favourite character: Fatty and Jack Trent.

Post by Philip Mannering »

I bought the updated edition recently...... and although wanting the originals (which sadly aren't available at all where I live :( ) I was still pleasantly surprised by how good it was. I especially like the character of Kit very much, the way he manages to capture his three prisoners is very amusing to read about.
Overall, this book is one of Blyton's best. :|
"A holiday — a mystery — an adventure — and a happy ending for dear old Barney!" said Roger. "What more could anyone want?"
"An ice cream," said Snubby promptly. "Who's coming to buy one?" The Rubadub Mystery
ledzep93
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: Timmy

The Boy Next Door - And a New Member to the Forum

Post by ledzep93 »

Hi guys:)

Only just got an account here but I've known about it for ages, I often come here if I need a Blyton query cleared up, you all seem pretty knowledgeable ;)

This is just a quick shout out to Enid's one-off novel The Boy Next Door, I' just finished reading it this evening and its a cracker of a story! I'm home for the Easter hols from Uni and all my big boy books are back there, so I was left with nothing but the books I grew up reading as a child! :D

I've started going through my old Blyton books (of which I have many!) and I started reading TBND when I realized that one was a number of Blytons I never got round to actually reading, but I'm glad I now have!

The things sticking in my head right now about it are the lovely locations throughout the story, and Enid's perfectly simple descriptions of the river, the small island, and the house-boat, all very Wind-in-the-Willowsy for me! The last third of the story sticks out for me as well, when the adventure REALLY picks up and we find out Mr. Barton is a traitor, (sorry if I've spoiled it for people who haven't read it yet!) and how the house-boat is connected to both the goodies and baddies, and how Kit escapes from the house he's held prisoner, and how the man whom the kids thought was the original wicked uncle is really...

Oh, how I could go on! :D I'd love to hear what you more experienced Blyton-ytes thought of this cracking and gorgeous one-off adventure :D Oh, and maybe make some new friends along the way, haha! :)
"I'll send you a telegram if I see a small, big boy with blue eyes, fair hair - and how many fingers did you say?" said Robin

The Boy Next Door
MJE
Favourite book/series: Famous Five series
Favourite character: George; Julian; Barney

Re: The Boy Next Door - And a New Member to the Forum

Post by MJE »

Hullo, and welcome to the forum.

I think this is one of the better single, non-series adventure stories. (There are a couple which don't quite reach that standard, in my view - but they are some others' favourite books, so it may depend more on the memories you have of particular books than on the actual quality of the story, however that be determined.)
     I wrote a fairly detailed review of this, here:

http://www.foxall.com.au/users/mje/BoyNxDor.htm

After the end of that, there is a link to a second page where I discuss the resolution of the plot. As such, it is full of spoilers, so don't go to the *second* page unless you've already read the book, or don't mind having it spoilt. Don't even click it: there is the one spoiler warning at that link, but none after that.

Regards, Michael.
Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Welcome ledzep93. I've only skimmed your post, as I haven't read the book and didn't want to spoil the ended for myself. It's a good thing you posted though, as I bought the book a couple of weeks ago and read the first chapter or two, then somehow it got forgotten. I shall remedy this and read it as soon as possible. :D
Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

Welcome to the forums, ledzep93! :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Welcome, Ledzep93! I've merged your comments with an earlier thread on The Boy Next Door. It's a very enjoyable book, though one passage holds a certain poignancy for me. Betty exclaims when one of the characters celebrates his 42nd birthday, "Oh, aren't you old!" Being 43, those words now cut me to the quick! :wink: :lol:
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Welcome to the forums, hope you enjoy the site.

Glad you've read and liked The Boy Next Door - it's one of my favourite books and I never ever tire of reading it. :D
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Poppy
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Adventure Series/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Andy, Jack Trent & Diana.

Post by Poppy »

Welcome to the forums!

I love this book too! It's certainly one of my favourite stand alone books! Have you tried any others? :D
"Beware of young men with long hair - that's what dad says, isn't it?"
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Welcome! I imagine you like Led Zeppelin too! :D
Society Member
ledzep93

Post by ledzep93 »

Thanks for the replys guys, and nice to meet you all! Its great to know I'm not the only one who loves this book :D
Moonraker wrote:Welcome! I imagine you like Led Zeppelin too! :D
I do indeed haha. They were the first band I fell in love with, and I love all sorts of classic rock in general :)
Poppy wrote:Welcome to the forums!

I love this book too! It's certainly one of my favourite stand alone books! Have you tried any others? :D
Yaaay! I think this is the only full-blown one-off novel of hers I've read. I've read the short story Mischief at St Rollos, which was a fun read, and I've also read the two Adventurous Four books. Not stand-alone I know, but there's only two in the series I think and I love them tremendously :) x
MJE wrote:Hullo, and welcome to the forum.

I think this is one of the better single, non-series adventure stories. (There are a couple which don't quite reach that standard, in my view - but they are some others' favourite books, so it may depend more on the memories you have of particular books than on the actual quality of the story, however that be determined.)
I wrote a fairly detailed review of this, here:

http://www.foxall.com.au/users/mje/BoyNxDor.htm

After the end of that, there is a link to a second page where I discuss the resolution of the plot. As such, it is full of spoilers, so don't go to the *second* page unless you've already read the book, or don't mind having it spoilt. Don't even click it: there is the one spoiler warning at that link, but none after that.

Regards, Michael.
Thanks Michael, I'll read that when I can.
"I'll send you a telegram if I see a small, big boy with blue eyes, fair hair - and how many fingers did you say?" said Robin

The Boy Next Door
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

ledzep93 wrote:I've also read the two Adventurous Four books. Not stand-alone I know, but there's only two in the series I think and I love them.
There are only two full length novels but there's a short story too, called "Off With the Adventurous Four" which appears in the Enid Blyton Omnibus any possibly elsewhere, I'm not sure.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
ledzep93

Post by ledzep93 »

Fiona1986 wrote:there's a short story too, called "Off With the Adventurous Four" which appears in the Enid Blyton Omnibus any possibly elsewhere, I'm not sure.
Oh awesome! Didn't know about that one, thank you! :) xx

The Boy Next Door
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I've just finished reading this book, and thoroughly enjoyed it. It almost had me on the edge of my seat a couple of times, I wish I'd read it as a child as I'm sure it would have been even more thrilling.

I must admit when I first started reading it I found it a little bland and only read the first couple of chapters, then put it down for quite a while. However, once I got about half way through I found it hard to put down - dinner was a little late tonight because I just had to finish it!

Although I sussed out one of the characters, I was totally taken about by the behaviour of another of them. Towards the end, each time I thought I could predict what was going to happen next, something unexpected happened. Absolutely brilliant. How can anyone say Enid Blyton wasn't a good author? I'm constantly amazed by the variety of work she produced. This book I feel is quite different to any others she wrote, but somehow still contains that Enid brilliance.
Society Member