The Adventurous Four Series

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Re: The Adventurous Four Series

Post by Courtenay »

:lol: Oh dear, well, at least the friend meant well... :roll: That's a bit reminiscent of The House at Pooh Corner, in which Winnie-the-Pooh and Piglet build a house out of sticks for Eeyore, not realising until the end that they've actually dismantled and rebuilt the house Eeyore had built for himself! But as they built it better and in a nicer position, that was a happier outcome than your Granny having to re-knit an entire blanket... :wink:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
IceMaiden
Favourite book/series: Too many to mention! All of them!
Favourite character: George

Re: The Adventurous Four Series

Post by IceMaiden »

Debbie wrote: 02 Jul 2023, 13:27 On the knitting my Granny used to tell how she knew a lady during the war who used to ask people for any oddments of wool left over "for the war effort". She would knit squares, sew them into blankets and give them to a little lady who sold them at the back of her shop and the money raised went to an injured RAF fund.
She had told a friend about this and the friend came to her with a whole load of little tiny balls with a small amount of each and so my Granny thanked her and asked if she'd been saving bits for ages.
The reply was "oh no, I remembered this little shop that had a blanket made out of squares of wool, so I bought it and unravelled all the knitting for your friend. The money went to an injured RAF fund, so it's helping doubly!"
Granny said she meekly thanked her very much and took the wool for her friend. She didn't know what else to say!
:shock: :lol: Oh my goodness I think I'd have cried at that! And quietly thrown it away :lol:.
Society Member

I'm just an old fashioned girl with an old fashioned mind
Not sophisticated, I'm the sweet and simple kind
I want an old fashioned house, with an old fashioned fence
And A̶n̶ ̶o̶l̶d̶ ̶f̶a̶s̶h̶i̶o̶n̶e̶d̶ ̶m̶i̶l̶l̶i̶o̶n̶a̶i̶r̶e̶