The Adventurous Four Series

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Re: The Adventurous Four

Post by Chrissie777 »

sayantani wrote:Has anyone any idea if Andrew Norman's book on Enid and Dorset is available at any online store?
Hi Sayantani,

You can get Andrew Norman's book on Enid & Dorset here:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/enid-blyton-her ... 039&sr=1-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I enjoyed reading it when I prepared our trip to Dorset 4 years ago. It contains many black & white photos.
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

booklover wrote: It's surprising that Blyton didn't write more of this series. Andy was a very strong character who could easily have featured again. A clue might be that The Adventurous Four was written in 1941, and Blyton started the Famous Five in 1942, the Find-Outers in 1943 and the "Adventure" series in 1944 - maybe she was just too busy writing the other books to continue this series? (The sequel wasn't written until 1947.)
That makes sense. But still, it's a pity EB didn't continue with the Adventurous Four...
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock
Farwa
Favourite book/series: The Secret Island/Adventure Series/Famous Five
Favourite character: Anne Kirrin/Peggy

Post by Farwa »

Yeah, it's one of favourite series...
A day spent without a smile is a day lost.
burlingtonbertram

Re: The Adventurous four!

Post by burlingtonbertram »

Lucky Star wrote:
Robert Houghton wrote:I love the fact that it is actually set in a real historical time 8)
That was a big factor in my love of these books also. I could relate them to my Victor and Warlord comics from which I already had a fascination with U-boats and destroyers etc. Suddenly here was a story where children too were "fighting" the war. I had an Armada paperback copy with a very realistic looking German seaplane complete with black crosses flying over the dismayed chuldren in a rowing boat. All part of a young boys daily fantasies in the 1970's. The second book was also very good. The plot had more twists and turns than one of Enid's secret passages. :lol: She could certainly have got another three or four books out of those characters I think.
Victor and Warlord! I'd forgotten about those comics. My Granddad always used to turn up with those whenever he'd been for a hair-cut. I think he must have liberated them from the waiting room for me.

I liked the wartime setting of the Adventurous Four, although it isn't a period that particularly appeals to me. I think Enid did them well. Maybe, with the war over, she didn't want to dwell on it any longer so stopped at two.
"The days are long, but the years are short"
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

burlingtonbertram wrote: Maybe, with the war over, she didn't want to dwell on it any longer so stopped at two.
Maybe but the second book did not mention the war and was written after it. She would mention the war in The Valley of Adventure as well so I think it more likely that The Adventurous Four gang just got lost in the plethora of major series' that she was turning out throughout the 1950s.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
burlingtonbertram

Post by burlingtonbertram »

Fair point; been a few months since I last read them/bought them.
"The days are long, but the years are short"
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

I remember taking "Victor" as well as "Valiant" which contained Captain Hurricane, another war hero in cartoon form. I've got both Adventurous Four books in hardback and they're well overdue a re-read.
Society Member
Poppy
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Adventure Series/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Andy, Jack Trent & Diana.

Is 'The Adventurous Four' Underrated?

Post by Poppy »

Merged with an earlier thread.

I have recently read and thoroughly enjoyed for a second time, Enid Blyton's fantastic The Adventurous Four. To be fair, before I read it just this week, I had only ever listened to it on cassette before (read by Philip Schofield) and though it was fun to have it narrated to me, when I was younger, this time, I appreciated the story much more. The originality of the genre, for Enid Blyton: I don't recall another instance where she so deeply explained and went into matters of the war. The book was published in 1942 which was perhaps the peak of the war, and after research, I discovered that in January that year, the Germans began to send submarines to sink ships out along the American coast. The U-boats also played a bit part in WW1 and I think, for Enid's readers, who were probably educated about subjects of such, it would have been a great satisfaction, reading this book, where the U-boats were actually defeated.

Despite this, the book is fiction and obviously the U-boats/German Submarines were quite successful in the war. But again, another positive of the book is the tremendous facts and information supplied and also, it must have given a hint of hope to her readers.

That is as well as the fantastic story Blyton weaves throughout the slightly dark and emotional aspect of the submarine base. The ups and downs of the story creates a rollacoaster ride for the reader. When it looks like the children will escape... they are caught. The effect subsequently magnifies the excitment and makes things even more unpredictable.

I think this book is perhaps underrated, as well as the very enjoyable sequel: The Adventurous Four Again.
"Beware of young men with long hair - that's what dad says, isn't it?"
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I had this book as child, but really don't remember much about it, so it obviously wasn't one I read a lot. I shall have to give it another look by the sounds of it. I don't remember liking or disliking it, it just didn't leave any kind of impression upon me.
Society Member
Poppy

Post by Poppy »

I remembered quite a few major aspects of the book, actually, whilst I was reading it. The 'Round Cave' for instance which was where all the enemies' food was stored. And also the raft that the children made. I'd like to hear your thoughts on the book, Katharine, after you've read it. :D
Merged with an earlier thread.
Thank you for merging the two threads! I didn't realize that there was a thread on the subject and that it had been posted on so recently, too... :roll: :D
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

Katharine wrote:I had this book as child, but really don't remember much about it, so it obviously wasn't one I read a lot. I shall have to give it another look by the sounds of it. I don't remember liking or disliking it, it just didn't leave any kind of impression upon me.
Let me tell you, Katherine, it's almost as good as the Adventure series. I was already in my early fifties when I discovered it and read it for the first time. Since then I reread a few more times and feel the urge to reread it soon :).

Cheers,
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Poppy wrote:I remembered quite a few major aspects of the book, actually, whilst I was reading it. The 'Round Cave' for instance which was where all the enemies' food was stored. And also the raft that the children made. I'd like to hear your thoughts on the book, Katharine, after you've read it. :D
The fact that it involved sailing and a cave are about all I remember of it. I'll definitely have a rummage on my shelves and try and track down a copy asap. I did start reading it again last year I think it was, but I only got as far as the first chapter and then misplaced the book, and never got around to finishing it.
Society Member
Poppy

Post by Poppy »

I've got about five Dean copies lying about, just in case you have 'permanently misplaced' it. :D
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

A longstanding favourite of mine. I only wish Enid Blyton had written a couple more in this series.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Poppy

Post by Poppy »

Yes, it would have been great if there were more books in the series. I reviewed The Adventurous Four on my blog, this morning: here.
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member