Secret Passages/Secret Rooms/Islands/Rocky tunnels under the

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Belly

Re: Secret Passages/Secret Rooms/Islands/Rocky tunnels under the

Post by Belly »

Hello Owl's Dene.

I think you must be right. Of course being Owl's Dene you wouuld know! (On a tangent I have always wanted to call a house 'Owl's Dene', I wonder how many would realise the significance).

Again on a tangent, are you really in Cornwall? My mother was born in Cornwall, near Bodmin moor and her family lived in Devon. Missing the West Country terribly now in Singapore although lived in Oxfordshire and London. Just been reading Jamaica Inn which has made me miss it even more :cry: :cry: . It is funny how you can be so emotionally attached to places because they are 'in your blood'.
Belly

Post by Belly »

Lucky Star wrote:
'The best secret way ever' in the Valley. Why? Isn't the mountain a lot more dramatic with an opening cliff face (from memory) and the wheel at the bottom of the pool.
I thought the whole route to the treasure in The valley of Adventure was utterly thrilling. First the signs leading to the cave entrance and the descriptions of the scenery encountered along the way, then the passageways, the cave of stalactites, the cave of stars, the enormous studded door, the caves of statues, paintings, books and gold..... I have always been gripped by that strange journey although I suppose, technically, the secret passage in Ship is just as exciting. The world inside the Mountain is a very richly thought out piece of writing and really comprises a totally seperate universe to that of the gentle Welsh countryside around it. Its almost like a James Bond story in many respects. It is indeed very thrilling as is the somewhat similar descriptions in The Secret Mountain, vastly differant peoples maybe but a similar sense of creeping through a thrilling but claustrophic underground lair.

The Secret Seven series features at least one coal hole too. In Go ahead Secret Seven the gang have to descend into a coal cellar and creep through darkened cellars to rescue dogs and did'nt a coal cellar feature in The Secret of Spiggy Holes as the initial entryway to the house? I cant remember at the moment.

Other memorable secret passages featured in Five on Finniston Farm and Five go to Demons Rocks, in both cases the passages led to hidden treasure so I suppose they were sort of similar. :lol:
Love your analysis of the Mountain. I loved this book when I read it and I was surprised when I found out it is viewed as a weaker book than some others. I love James Bond (especially the books) so maybe that is why it has always appealed :)

I just don't get it with the Valley, I know it is supposed to be her best book etc but to me the passages, clues to treasure etc are only replicas of some others. There are statues too Five Have a Mystery to Solve (which I have always loved and I think is under rated. Possibly because I always wanted to find Lucas because of the foreword and wrote to Gillian Baverstock in 1981 to ask her to help me in this task, she replied to my delight)!

I do like the characters that guard the treasure cave. Otto Engler and his wife that have a hen (Martha)? His wife thinks Lucy Ann is his long lost daughter. I also thought it moving that the children couldn't persuade them to escape through the passage they found as they were too old and tired. The Englers personify something about the loss and sadness of WW2 to me.
manzanita
Favourite book/series: Five Find Outers, Barney, Secret and Adventure!

Post by manzanita »

Belly wrote:
'The best secret way ever' in the Valley. Why? Isn't the mountain a lot more dramatic with an opening cliff face (from memory) and the wheel at the bottom of the pool. (I read some CS Lewis recently and I think there is a book about pools with wheels in them that open secret ways or similar)?
Hmmm.... the only thing that springs to mind is "The Magician's Nephew" with Digory and Polly (??) jumping into pools with rings on. The rings affect the direction of travel or something. It's been ages since I've read the books...

Manzy
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

A coal-hole plays a significant part in The Mystery of the Secret Room.
[Lucky Star:] I thought the whole route to the treasure in The valley of Adventure was utterly thrilling. First the signs leading to the cave entrance and the descriptions of the scenery encountered along the way, then the passageways, the cave of stalactites, the cave of stars, the enormous studded door, the caves of statues, paintings, books and gold..... I have always been gripped by that strange journey although I suppose, technically, the secret passage in Ship is just as exciting. The world inside the Mountain is a very richly thought out piece of writing and really comprises a totally seperate universe to that of the gentle Welsh countryside around it. Its almost like a James Bond story in many respects. It is indeed very thrilling as is the somewhat similar descriptions in The Secret Mountain, vastly differant peoples maybe but a similar sense of creeping through a thrilling but claustrophic underground lair.
I agree - I'm fascinated by all the above underground worlds. I'm among those who rave about The Valley of Adventure, Belly. It combines great excitement with danger and melancholy and I love the post-war Austria setting. The wistful quality of the story has stayed with me since the very first reading.
[Belly:] I do like the characters that guard the treasure cave. Otto Engler and his wife that have a hen (Martha)? His wife thinks Lucy Ann is his long lost daughter. I also thought it moving that the children couldn't persuade them to escape through the passage they found as they were too old and tired. The Englers personify something about the loss and sadness of WW2 to me.
Heh - perhaps you're due a re-read of Valley, Belly :wink: . Otto Engler is the Austrian prisoner being held by the baddies. The old woman guardian is called Elsa but we never find out her husband's name. And Lucy-Ann reminds them of their grand-daughter (the suggestion is that she has been killed in the War.) All very moving as you said. As a child I was a bit hazy about exactly when the Second World War had begun and ended and I had an impression of the couple having guarded the caves for decades and grown old there, which added to the strange, somewhat spooky atmosphere!

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Maggie Knows

Post by Maggie Knows »

Hi, this is my first ever post, though I've been viewing the forum for quite some time

I am cudgeling my brains trying to think of a Five book that doesn't have a secret way/room/passage/tunnel etc. There aren't very many, I think at most three:

1. Treasure Island: dungeons on an island etc.
2. Adventuring Again: secret panels and the tunnel between Kirrin Cottage/Farm
3. Run Away: the cave on the island including the hole that Edgar falls down
4. Smugglers Top: the book is riddled with secret passages and tunnels
5. Caravanning: the secret hole that Lou and Dan stash their loot in
6. Kirrin Island again: the other way into the dungeons, flagged up in book 1, is finally discovered, plus the tunnel back to the mainland
7. Camp: the blocked up spook train tunnel
8. Trouble: the secret room where the villain hides
9. Fall in to Adventure: the tunnel from the sea cliff up Red's hideout
10. Hike: NOT SURE THERE IS ONE IN THIS BOOK
11. Wonderful time: the passage through the castle wall to where the scientist is being held prisoner
12. Down to the Sea: the Wreckers' Way
13. Mystery Moor: the tunnel complex in the sand quarry
14. Five have Plenty of Fun: (ignoring poor George who gets kidnapped, again): apart from the coal hole already discussed, not sure there is one
15. Trail: tunnel where the blueprints are hidden
16. Billycock hill: tunnels where kidnapped pilots are hidden
17. Fix: tunnels and passages from the hillside into Old Towers (ps these morph into cellars)
18: Finniston Farm: tunnel connecting old castle dungeon with the farm's grain store (old chapel)
19> Demon's Rocks: tunnel under the lighthouse connecting to undersea caves
20. Mystery to Solve: underground tunnels leading to Treasure Chamber
21. Together Again: despite this novel being a bit of a "greatest hits" compilation in many respects, there doesn't seem to be a tunnel in sight!!
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Belly wrote: I have always wanted to call a house 'Owl's Dene', I wonder how many would realise the significance).
Me too! It has been a life-long wish to call my house Owls' Dene. I've not yet realised this ambition, as it would really need to be a large, detached house, with a high wall/hedge all around it. A city-semi just doesn't seem right....
Belly also wrote: It is funny how you can be so emotionally attached to places because they are 'in your blood'.
Again, how true! I always felt a strong affinity to Cornwall, always feeling that I had come home when seeing the County Sign on entering Cornwall. I later found out, that apart from my father (born in Ventnor, IOW), all my paternal ancestors were born in the Helston (Cury) area of Cornwall as far back as we can trace.

Pastie anyone? :D
Society Member
Belly

Post by Belly »

Maggie Knows wrote:Hi, this is my first ever post, though I've been viewing the forum for quite some time

I am cudgeling my brains trying to think of a Five book that doesn't have a secret way/room/passage/tunnel etc. There aren't very many, I think at most three:

1. Treasure Island: dungeons on an island etc.
2. Adventuring Again: secret panels and the tunnel between Kirrin Cottage/Farm
3. Run Away: the cave on the island including the hole that Edgar falls down
4. Smugglers Top: the book is riddled with secret passages and tunnels
5. Caravanning: the secret hole that Lou and Dan stash their loot in
6. Kirrin Island again: the other way into the dungeons, flagged up in book 1, is finally discovered, plus the tunnel back to the mainland
7. Camp: the blocked up spook train tunnel
8. Trouble: the secret room where the villain hides
9. Fall in to Adventure: the tunnel from the sea cliff up Red's hideout
10. Hike: NOT SURE THERE IS ONE IN THIS BOOK
11. Wonderful time: the passage through the castle wall to where the scientist is being held prisoner
12. Down to the Sea: the Wreckers' Way
13. Mystery Moor: the tunnel complex in the sand quarry
14. Five have Plenty of Fun: (ignoring poor George who gets kidnapped, again): apart from the coal hole already discussed, not sure there is one
15. Trail: tunnel where the blueprints are hidden
16. Billycock hill: tunnels where kidnapped pilots are hidden
17. Fix: tunnels and passages from the hillside into Old Towers (ps these morph into cellars)
18: Finniston Farm: tunnel connecting old castle dungeon with the farm's grain store (old chapel)
19> Demon's Rocks: tunnel under the lighthouse connecting to undersea caves
20. Mystery to Solve: underground tunnels leading to Treasure Chamber
21. Together Again: despite this novel being a bit of a "greatest hits" compilation in many respects, there doesn't seem to be a tunnel in sight!!
If this was from memory I take my hat off to you! This is very interesting to look through. Thanks for posting.
Belly

Post by Belly »

Moonraker wrote:
Belly wrote: I have always wanted to call a house 'Owl's Dene', I wonder how many would realise the significance).
Me too! It has been a life-long wish to call my house Owls' Dene. I've not yet realised this ambition, as it would really need to be a large, detached house, with a high wall/hedge all around it. A city-semi just doesn't seem right....
Belly also wrote: It is funny how you can be so emotionally attached to places because they are 'in your blood'.
Again, how true! I always felt a strong affinity to Cornwall, always feeling that I had come home when seeing the County Sign on entering Cornwall. I later found out, that apart from my father (born in Ventnor, IOW), all my paternal ancestors were born in the Helston (Cury) area of Cornwall as far back as we can trace.

Pastie anyone? :D
How interesting. Perhaps we can meet on the beach in Cornwall and have a damson stone spitting competition (something else from the books that I've always wanted to do although it doesn't really fit with who I am) :) Oh that or an ice cream wafer sandwich washed down with a ginger beer! :) I read that the damson in the UK is dying out somewhere on a tangent.

I don't see why a city-semi can't be an 'Owl's Dene' go for it! :)

I have seen a city-semi in London called 'Coverack' before so if that can be done why not?

Trying to think of other EB connected house names: Elfin Cottage, Old Thatch, Kirrin Cottage, Smuggler's Top (I quite like the idea of that) and I think there is a village called Smuggler's Top? Or Craggy Tops, that might raise an eyebrow or two if people saw the name post on a city-semi :)
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Just to quickly answer your question Belly. No one in this village, as far as I'm aware , know the significance of Owls Dene. All they say is 'I love the owl sitting on the sign'. Maybe they just don't read Enid blyton.

Yes, I am living down here in Cornwall. I also know and love Bodmin Moor, and frequently have a Sunday Lunch in the Jamaica Inn.

I have two long passages either side of my house, but they're not secret. Just hidden behind high fencing.

A lovely long list there posted by Maggie Knows. Very impressive, just one small mistake, In Billycock Hill, the airmen were hidden deep in the caves, not tunnels. :D
Very well remembered. :D

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
manzanita
Favourite book/series: Five Find Outers, Barney, Secret and Adventure!

Post by manzanita »

Belly wrote:
I don't see why a city-semi can't be an 'Owl's Dene' go for it! :)
Me neither! If anything, it could be ironically funny! I've always meant to get a name plaque up for this house as "Ocean Vista", just because the sea is nowhere to be seen as it's 40 odd miles away :lol

Manzy
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Welcome, Maggie Knows. I love your username!

Belly, I can't for one minute picture you spitting damson stones ! :o I have absolutely no trouble picturing Nigel doing it, though! :P

Anita

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Anita Bensoussane wrote: Belly, I can't for one minute picture you spitting damson stones ! :o I have absolutely no trouble picturing Nigel doing it, though! :P
Thanks, Anita! I really don't know what I've done to make you have such an opinion of me, old girl. It has given me an idea for this year's picnic, though... :idea:
Society Member
Lenoir
Favourite book/series: FFO/FF. Five run away together, Most FFO books.
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Lenoir »

Kirrin Island was Blyton in a damson stone, er, nutshell. It had a cave, dungeons, a passage under the sea, treasure, a well, a tower (two at one time), jackdaws, rabbits, dangerous currents, sharp rocks, and a wreck. What more could a person want on Valentine’s Day?
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Moonraker wrote: It has given me an idea for this year's picnic, though... :idea:
Tee Hee excellent idea. We'll definitely need a secluded place this year or the population of Twyford will think we are all mad. :D
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

[Lenoir:] Kirrin Island was Blyton in a damson stone, er, nutshell. It had a cave, dungeons, a passage under the sea, treasure, a well, a tower (two at one time), jackdaws, rabbits, dangerous currents, sharp rocks, and a wreck. What more could a person want on Valentine’s Day?
A luxury hamper, of course! And perhaps some rugs and a pile of springy heather! :lol:

Society Member