Favourite Famous Five Baddies!

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...

fave baddie from famous five!

Mr Barling
15%
Maggie and dirty dick
9%
jake form book 1
No votes
mr wooh
3%
joes dad simmy
3%
block
55%
mr henning and jouniour
No votes
barnies guv'nor
6%
mr rowland
9%

Total votes: 33

Kirrin

Favourite Famous Five Baddies!

Post by Kirrin »

ok we shoudent like them but who did dou hate the most!
I have put some of the more memorable ones down!
the list gould go on forever so here are the ones I chose!
Sooty
Favourite character: George

Post by Sooty »

Block! "YOR STEPFAHTHA WANTS TO SEE YOH." ;)
Kirrin

hie

Post by Kirrin »

he is a good choice the bit I found bad was pretending to be deaf!
Sooty

Re: hie

Post by Sooty »

Kirrin wrote:he is a good choice the bit I found bad was pretending to be deaf!
Makes you wonder what else he heard... :?
Kirrin

hi

Post by Kirrin »

its a good way to trick people!
Moonraker

Re: hie

Post by Moonraker »

Sooty wrote:
Kirrin wrote:he is a good choice the bit I found bad was pretending to be deaf!
Makes you wonder what else he heard... :?
I think that is one of the truly great complexities of the book. The sinsister servant, deaf but possibly able to read lips. Eileen Soper's wonderful illustrations of him that really give the game away! There is a rare illustration of the back of Block (wonder what his Christian name was?) talking to Barling which George sees from the wall around Castaway - this is not featured in all of the H&S hardbacks. The only bad point was Lenoir complaining at the end of the book, that Block was not answering his bell!!!
Society Member
Raci

Post by Raci »

I voted for block out of the list of famous five baddies we had to chose from.

But I think otherwise I would have chosen Sniffer's Father or Tiger Dan. These two (although many others threatened to) really tried to hurt Timmy! :shock: - This is supposed to be a shocked face - LOL

In Five go off in a Caravan Tiger Dan leaves out poisoned meat which Timmy has the sense not to eat but Barker did eat it. Also Lou tried to shoot Timmy and Tiger Dan threw an enormous stone at Pongos head.
:evil:
In Five go to Mystery Moor Sniffers Father hit Timmy over the head and knocked him out.
:evil:
So on top of everything else they did these two deliberetly hurt animals including Timmy.

But back to Block :lol:
He definatly made a very good villian pretending to be deaf so effectively!
Dick - I dropped a plate off the table yesterday, by accident, just behind him, and it smashed to bits, if you remember. Well, he didn't jump or turn a hair, as he would have done if he could have heard.
I don't know anyone in real life who could have completely ignored a sudden noise like that without even an involuntary small movement.
Although occasionaly he let his mask slip!
Julian - I could have sworn I saw a suprised look come into those cold eyes of his, when Timmy barked.
DianaG

Post by DianaG »

I absolutely hate the Stick family in "Five run away together" :twisted:
It is also my least favourite ff book :x
Belly

Post by Belly »

Yes the vile, greedy, unpleasant Sticks. Don't the children come across Pa Stick sprawled and unshaven asleep on the sofa?!

Have to disagree on Five Run Away Together - as set at Kirrin/Kirrin Island. Kirrin Island features in all its magical glory.
Kirrin

hi

Post by Kirrin »

sorry Diana but five run away together is one of my faves too! the sticks are ok for entertainment value!
have you seen the tv version (1996) with Anita Dobsen as mrs stick! so funny in fact the whole series was the best made ever!
Moonraker

Re: hi

Post by Moonraker »

Kirrin wrote:sorry Diana but five run away together is one of my faves too! the sticks are ok for entertainment value!
have you seen the tv version (1996) with Anita Dobsen as mrs stick! so funny in fact the whole series was the best made ever!
Here, here! Anita Dobson (whom I can't normally stand!) was an amazing Mrs Stick. I find the Sticks a fascinating family. They all try so hard to put the Five down, but can never succeed! I thought Kirrin Island was well chosen too. I agree, Kirrin, a great series.
Society Member
Kirrin

hi

Post by Kirrin »

and jemima rooper as gearge really fitted the part and joan and alf in fact they all did I think they look remarkably like the eileen soper illustrations
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Five Run Away Together - TV Versions

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I agree that the actors for the 1990s Famous Five TV series were excellent on the whole, especially Jemima Rooper as George. But I have to say that I found Five Run Away Together very disappointing - the worst out of the eight or so stories I've seen from that series. Anita Dobson didn't fit my idea of Mrs. Stick at all (but then I couldn't stop thinking of her as "Angie" from Eastenders, which obviously didn't help.)

As a book, I think that Five Run Away Together is a great read, with some brilliant comic moments - Edgar annoying George by singing his own version of "Georgie Porgie," Mr. Stick being woken by a jam tart falling on his face, Julian's cheekiness to the Sticks, the children frightening the Sticks in the dungeons, etc. It would probably be one of my favourite titles except for the fact that the children's attitude towards Tinker disturbs me (calling him "Stinker" etc, and letting Timmy bite chunks out of him.) It's not Tinker's fault that he belongs to the Sticks! Strangely, all the above comic episodes have been cut out of the 1990s TV version of Five Run Away Together - it has been completely bowdlerised. And the film gives away the fact that the Sticks are kidnappers right from the beginning, whereas Blyton keeps the reader guessing. I've seen the 1970s TV version too and that's even worse - a different story entirely from the one in the book! :x

Some of the other stories are much better, though, with the 1990s version of Five On a Treasure Island being near-perfect in my opinion. A stunning portrayal of Kirrin. That's a two-parter, and I think the two-parters do more justice to the books.

I also like watching the 1970s series, but mainly for nostalgic reasons as I first watched it at the age of 8 - 9. Five on Kirrin Island, which is actually the first title in that series, is particularly good. As far as actors go, I like the 1970s Anne and Dick (Jennifer Thanisch and Gary Russell) but the 1990s George and Julian (Jemima Rooper and Marco Williamson.) Timmy is disappointing in both versions, though. Oh, and the 1990s Uncle Quentin (Christopher Good) and Aunt "Frances" (Mary Waterhouse) are spot-on! :D

Anita
Sooty

Post by Sooty »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:Julian's cheekiness to the Sticks
I love the line "so said my mother when I was two". Classic Ju! :lol: My goodness, I absolutely love that book. :)
Raci

Post by Raci »

The only TV episode I have seen is the 90's Five on a treasure island and although I think the children look the part I didn't think very much of 'Julians' acting of the part.
I have only watched it once and that was the general impression I got.

But Timmy :x Well he was nothing like in the books - much too small, the wrong colour and well :? he just wasn't Timmy!

But then again could they ever find a dog to be exactly right to play Enid's Timmy :lol: I don't think so!