Top Five Titles

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Top Five Titles

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Hi,

Raci said, under the topic 'Overall Favourite Series':

"My favourite series would have to be The Adventures of......
(Even though my top three books are each in other series and each in different series to each other - LOL)"

It would be interesting to know what people's top titles are. Personally, I thought it might make it easier if we could choose 5 rather than 3 (okay, I admit that I found it impossible to whittle down my list to just 3 titles!)

Mine are as follows:

1. The Valley of Adventure - a hauntingly beautiful setting and a wistful quality make this book a classic.

2. Six Cousins Again - with its strong characters and dramatic scenes, this is a gripping and convincing exploration of tensions within a family.

3. The Mystery of the Strange Bundle - not the best in terms of mystery, but Fatty is on top form in this book and I love the wintry atmosphere. The story still makes me laugh out loud, and there are mouth-watering references to bull's-eyes and macaroons a-plenty!

4. The Ring O' Bells Mystery - Blyton mingles fairytale with reality to create an atmospheric and alarming tale.

5. Tales of Long Ago - Blyton re-tells these ancient tales in a wonderfully fluid and poetic style. Captivating! It was reading this book over and over again as a child that instilled in me a lasting interest in myth and legend.

Anyone else want to name their Top Five Enid Blytons?

Anita
Kirrin

hi

Post by Kirrin »

these are non f5
1)the family at red roofs -sad at times
2)the adventure of the secret necklace
3)house at the corner
4)castle of adventure
5)rilloby fair mystery just read it thrilling!
gareth jones
Favourite book/series: ADVENTURE SERIES
Favourite character: JACK TRENT

top 5 titles

Post by gareth jones »

1) Valley of adventure
2) Castle of adventure
3)Sea of adventure
4) Five go to Smugglers Top'
5) Five go on a hike together.
Raci

Post by Raci »

Hi Anita!
The 3 books I refered to in my earlier post would be:

The Secret Island
The Children of Willow Farm
The Magic Faraway Tree

These 3 were always my favourites while I was growing up! And certainly the top 2 are still for me. Although I do still like the Faraway Tree it is now more to share with my own daughter who also loves it.

But to chose 2 more out of the many available :?
Probably:
Castle of Adventure (but my favourite adventure book changes regularly :D )
And then maybe Five on a Treasure Island
or a Malory Towers or a Galliano or .... :wink:

I don't think I've ever yet read a book by Enid and not liked it or felt like I would want to re-read it! :lol:
booklover
Favourite book/series: Whyteleafe, Faraway Tree, "Barney" books
Favourite character: Elizabeth Allen, Fatty, Barney and Snubby

Post by booklover »

Hi everyone! Could we add a "0" to "5", like "top 50"? Just joking! :)

My favourites are:

1. The Naughtiest Girl is a Monitor - I rate this 10/10 - I think this book is word for word perfect! I can read it again and again.

2. The Enchanted Wood - the one that establishes the magical world and a technically better book than The Magic Faraway Tree, imo.

3. The Island of Adventure - a great adventure in a most picturesque location - and featuring Kiki too!

4. The Children of Willow Farm - I loved the country lifestyle of this one - a wonderful sequel.

5. Circus Days Again - a classic - dark times come to Galliano's circus!

I'll stop there! No honorary mentions! No PSs! :(
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Top Five Titles

Very varied choices from those who have replied so far. Just goes to show Enid Blyton's versatility as a writer!

Kirrin, I agree that Red-Roofs and Rilloby Fair are among Blyton's best works (even if they didn't quite make my top 5!) Red-Roofs is very moving, and Rilloby Fair is not only a clever mystery story, but sparkles with humour. Who could ever forget all the scenes between Snubby and Great-uncle Robert?

Castle of Adventure is deservedly popular - one of the most thrilling locations and heart-stopping endings Blyton ever gave us - and The Children of Willow Farm , a joyous celebration of farm life, has also been named by a couple of people.

Booklover, I think one of the strengths of Naughtiest Girl is a Monitor is the character of the brilliant but "don't-careish" Julian Holland, not to mention the haughty Arabella Buckley with her incriminating bag of chocolate peppermints! And I agree that Circus Days Again is the best of the Galliano's books - "dark times" indeed!

Any more from anyone else?

Anita
Last edited by Anita Bensoussane on 21 Jun 2005, 10:16, edited 1 time in total.
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

1. as I've mentioned many times before, it still has to be 'The Rubadub Mystery' - for its wonderful atmosphere and sentimental ending, as well as its mysterious plot.

2. Mystery of the Pantomime Cat - due to the wonderful cast of characters, all of whom might have committed the crime. Its one of the best endings to any of the mystery series.

3. Family at Red Roofs - I agree that this has to be one of Enids best, although 'House-at-the-Corner' runs it very close. Its very dramatic and emotional, and the characters are all very real. I particularly love Prudence's downfall!!

4. The Enchanted Wood - this has to be a classic. There is nothing else like it in Blyton or anywhere alse. The characters, setting and situations are unique to Blyton.

5. The Six Bad Boys - this is a book much maligned, but I think it has many strengths when the era in which it was written is taken into account, and the social aspects inherent to those times. It is an intelligent portrayal of the way in which boys can slip into crime, and I think Enid tackled the theme in a very touching and thought provoking way.
Kirrin

hi

Post by Kirrin »

What about house on the corner this is another family orientated story
I liked aunt grace and what about poor Lizzie!
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Top Five Titles

Kirrin, I agree that the character of Aunt Grace (House-at-the-Corner) is very well-drawn indeed. Shrewd and formidable, but also vulnerable and lonely. Jenny Wren (The Family at Red-Roofs) is another memorable old lady character. Both these women have strong personalities and both are seeking support and company in their old age, while at the same time maintaining a degree of independence - something that is so important to them.

And Robert, The Six Bad Boys is a favourite of mine too. I still find it compelling, even as an adult, and really feel for the boys, especially Bob. If I could choose a Top Six instead of a Top Five, The Six Bad Boys would be my sixth choice.

Funny that Enid Blyton's one-off "family and home" books are not better-known. They contain some of her best writing.

Anita
Kirrin

hi

Post by Kirrin »

I have the six bad boys but have not read it yet
whats the basic storyline?
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

The Six Bad Boys

Briefly, The Six Bad Boys is about a gang of boys whose unhappy home-lives result in their spending a lot of time out of the house, seeking companionship elsewhere. They start getting into trouble, and gradually begin to commit petty crime. An unusual and emotional book from the pen - or typewriter! - of Enid Blyton. Let us know what you think if you read it.

Anita
Tony Summerfield

Six Bad Boys

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Or better still read Anita's excellent article on The Six Bad Boys in Journal 27 which I am working on at the moment and will be published in a month or so.

Best wishes
Tony
Kirrin

hi

Post by Kirrin »

great! I always like to read some of enids less-known work!
what editions are less edited from which years (pre 70's?)
joe radbourne

hi miss blyton

Post by joe radbourne »

hi I got you books the encanted wood
the children of willow farm
and more adventure of willow farm joe combe pafford school devon
Raci

Post by Raci »

Hi Joe!
Those 3 books are some of my favourites too!
I really like all the Faraway Tree books and the cherry tree farm/willow farm books. :D
Raci