Looking For Fatty & co. in Peterswood/Bourne End

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Re: Looking For Fatty & co. in Peterswood/Bourne End

Post by pete9012S »

Chrissie777 wrote:
Yes, just like Pete I can't wait to read another FFO & Dog analysis! 8) 8) 8)
Yes, come on Uncle Duncan, chop chop! :D :D
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Green Hedges

Post by Green Hedges »

Under another topic in Books (Mystery of Panto Cat) I've given links to analyses of Pantomime Cat and Strange Messages.

I've also rewritten my Missing Necklace analysis as it wasn't up to scratch. For this I've accessed all the illustrations of the various editions and embellished the text with quite a few of them. http://www.enidblyton.me.uk/styled-48/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Of course, I may now have to do that to all the others. Which means a number of Joseph Abbey v Mary Gernat and Treyer Evans v Jennie Chapple match ups. Which might be either revealing or funny.

Anyway, it all staves off the day that I have to sit down and read 'The Mystery of Banshee Towers', Enid's last Mystery, the only one I haven't got under the skin of yet. :) :( :wink:
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

Thank you for a great analysis of my favourite book in the superb FFO & D series, Duncan. I intend to print a copy and read it again at my leisure. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Many thanks indeed Duncan for all your hard work.

I started this thread in April 2017. I don't know if it will be of any help to you?
Regards

Pete

Find-Outers Illustrators Comparisons

https://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/for ... =12&t=7567" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Some highlights:

Strange Bundle illustration comparisons

ImageImage
Treyer Evans & Dylan Roberts

ImageImage
Jenny Chapple & Rodney Sutton
Last edited by pete9012S on 10 Nov 2019, 13:25, edited 1 time in total.
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Green Hedges

Post by Green Hedges »

Thanks for your comment, Eddie. :)

Yes, Pete, I had a quick look at that thread yesterday. Starts off great with that classic Gernat v Abbey bus comparison. Only one winner there. I will look again at the rest.

A quick thought about Rodney Sutton. For Missing Necklace he just copied the Mary Gernat images, though in his own style. Presumably he did that for the other books as well. But what did he do for Holly Lane which neither MG or JC did? Did he just copy the images from the first edition or did he think up some new ones (Steady Rodney)? I would work out the answer to that myself but am a bit busy for the next couple of days.

Duncan :)
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Post by Chrissie777 »

Green Hedges wrote:I've also rewritten my Missing Necklace analysis as it wasn't up to scratch. For this I've accessed all the illustrations of the various editions and embellished the text with quite a few of them.
Of course, I may now have to do that to all the others. Which means a number of Joseph Abbey v Mary Gernat and Treyer Evans v Jennie Chapple match ups. Which might be either revealing or funny.
Anyway, it all staves off the day that I have to sit down and read 'The Mystery of Banshee Towers', Enid's last Mystery, the only one I haven't got under the skin of yet. :) :( :wink:
I'm just printing out "Necklace", hoping the darn cyan cartridge will finally stop working, so I can also print out Rob's FF continuation story.
Duncan, those photos of EB at the end of the "Necklace" analysis are beautiful!!!
Thank you. 8)
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
Green Hedges

Post by Green Hedges »

Thanks Pete and Chrissy.

I take it you mean the composite images, Chrissy. So I've just added another one. Or at least I will when my server lets me update my site. For the moment I'll put it here. That's Mystery of Missing Necklace (first edition) on the floor, leaning on the large book which is maybe a Holiday annual.

Enid is flanked by Fatty (in disguise) and Bets (think Imo). And by hydrangeas (is it?) and balloons (courtesy of Joseph Abbey).

Really it needs to be bigger, so I'll try again re the site.

Duncan :)
Splodj

Post by Splodj »

it would be good to see on this thread a scan of the foreword to the first edition (or an early impression) of Five Go Off to Camp. Though I suspect the name Enid Blyton will be printed, not signed.
Here it is ...

So the facsimile signature was used as early as 1948.
Green Hedges

Post by Green Hedges »

Splodg, That is the first edition of Five Go Off to Camp. Thanks, that's very interesting.

But before I go on, can you check whether the book has a Foreword after the title page? In other words, the copy I'm looking at of Five Fall Into Adventure has a list of 'Fives' opposite a blank page, then the frontispiece opposite the title page, then the publishing details opposite the Foreword.

It's quite possible that your book has no Foreword, as is implied by your post, but I would like to know for sure.

:D
Duncan
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Green Hedges wrote:Thanks for your comment, Eddie. :)

Starts off great with that classic Gernat v Abbey bus comparison. Only one winner there.
If you refer to this illustration, it is so bad that I love it!

Society Member
Green Hedges

Post by Green Hedges »

Absolutely. Not one living person on that bus. Except maybe the bus conductor.
Splodj

Post by Splodj »

There is no Foreword in my first edition of Five Go Off to Camp. List of 'Fives'; title page; 'first printed' page; contents.

I'm sure you know this, but there is a double page picture inside the front and back covers. I have a Green Knight paperback version from the 60s which, although otherwise it has the same pictures as the original Hodder and Stoughton, does not include this.

I also happen to have a first edition of Upper Fourth at Malory Towers purchased in August 1949. This does have a Foreword at the bottom of which is a printed ENID BLYTON.
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Eddie Muir wrote:Thank you for a great analysis of my favourite book in the superb FFO & D series, Duncan. I intend to print a copy and read it again at my leisure. :D
Yes, a great book. I have just "sent" it to my Kindle, and will read it later.
Society Member
Green Hedges

Post by Green Hedges »

That 1948 first edition of Five Go To Camp is quite significant. It's the first year that Hodder and Stoughton put Enid's signature on the cloth cover (not the dustjacket). As well as putting her signature on at a 45 degree angle for the new book, a few of others that they reprinted in 1948 also got Enid's signature on the cloth, but running horizontally along the bottom right of the front cover. That's...

Five on a Treasure Island
Five Go Off in a Caravan
Five Go Adventuring Again

I think Enid liked this. I don't think she liked her foreword being excluded (if she wrote one, which I bet she did). So for the next 2 books there was a signed foreword, using a signature inside the book for the first time, though a slightly odd one, as previously discussed.

Five Get Into Trouble
Five Fall Into Adventure

These books also had the signature on the cloth done in the same way as Five Go Off To Camp.

Then someone (at Hodder? Enid?) had the bright idea of promoting the foreword to the back cover, so that started in 1951 along with new style covers, which had Enid's signature on the front and the spine as well as the back.

So from 1947 (no sign of Enid's signature in an Enid Blyton Fives book) to 1951, the signature on the front cover, spine and back of the dust-cover, on the front of the cloth and in side the book in the foreword.

I think this is right. Don't be confused by seeing these signatures on earlier books, these will be LATER PRINTINGS clearly marked if you look at the appropriate page.
Green Hedges

Post by Green Hedges »

I should say that that last post of mine is in relation to Splodg's info about a Famous Five cover a few posts back. Not really the best thread for it, but it will do for now.

Duncan