The name 'Kirrin'

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Re: The name 'Kirrin'

Post by Courtenay »

Yes, I found the thread where it was discussed originally (and posted the link earlier), which confirmed that the bloke is a Christian minister and Bible scholar. Apparently not a very good one... :evil:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I've just found a story in 1930s school girl annual which talks of the 'Province of Kirin', in Northern China. It appears to be a fictitious place.
Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Now that's interesting... "Kirin" (with only one r) is actually a Japanese word for a mythical creature with horns and hooves (called a "Qilin" in China), but also used in modern times to refer to a giraffe. Or a brand of Japanese beer. :wink:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
mynameisdumbnuts
Favourite book/series: Malory Towers, Famous Five, Adventure series
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Darrell Rivers, Bets Hilton

Post by mynameisdumbnuts »

Courtenay wrote:Or a brand of Japanese beer. :wink:
Five Have Plenty of Fun in a Whole New Way :lol:
"Lucy, you want more backbone -– you've got your wishbone where your backbone ought to be!" -- "House-at-the-Corner"
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

(sorry :mrgreen: )
Society Member

mynameisdumbnuts
Favourite book/series: Malory Towers, Famous Five, Adventure series
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Darrell Rivers, Bets Hilton

Post by mynameisdumbnuts »

Oh, very good!
"Lucy, you want more backbone -– you've got your wishbone where your backbone ought to be!" -- "House-at-the-Corner"
KEVP

Post by KEVP »

A "Kirin" in Japanese is very similar to the creature we call a Unicorn in English.
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

It is, to some extent. I looked up the Wikipedia page on the Qilin / Kirin when I was typing my earlier post (I knew the term "Kirin" from having done Japanese at school and was aware it meant a mythical creature as well as a giraffe, but wanted to check up on the details) and it's very interesting reading: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qilin" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Society Member

TheAngryPixie

Confusion about Kirrin

Post by TheAngryPixie »

Merged with an older topic.

Probably been covered before.

But, ok.

So George got Kirrin Island from her mum. Kirrin Farm, Kirrin Cottage, Kirrin Island - all named after her mother's family.

So, was it established if Quentin and Fanny were related since George's surname is Kirrin, or did she & Fanny stick with Fanny's family name for whatever reason?
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Re: Confusion about Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

You'll find various opinions/theories in the threads I've linked below, but no consensus has ever been reached that I know of!

Famous Five Fluffs

Errors in books
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

I read recently that Enid was very confident about her characters first names. I think it was in someone's post?
But, when it came to giving her characters a last name she was less confident.

How much easier the whole Kirrin debacle would have been if Enid had not told us the Famous Five's last names...or built a Castle, Village, Farm etc etc around them!

Ah, yes, it was part of Duncan's recent post:

This might explain a lot:

She tells us in Chapter 14 of The Story of My Life, which was published in 1952, that she sits in her chair, shuts her eyes and waits until the characters appear in her mind's eye. In a 1953 letter to Peter McKellar, she says:

'I shut my eyes for a few minutes, with my portable typewriter on my knee - I make my mind blank and wait - and then, as clearly as I would see real children, my characters stand before me in my mind's eye. I see them in detail - hair, eyes, feet, clothes, expressions - and I always know their Christian names but never their surname.

More than that, I know their characters - good, bad, mean, generous, brave, loyal, hot-tempered and so on. I don't know how I know them - it's an instinctive as sizing up a person in real life, at which I am quite good. As I look at them the characters take on movement and life - they talk and laugh (I hear them) and perhaps I see that one of them has a dog, or a parrot, and I think - 'Ah, that's good. That will liven up the story.'

Then behind the characters appears the setting, in colour, of course, - a ruined castle - an island - a row of houses. That's enough for me. My hands go down on my typewriter keys and I begin. The first sentence comes straight into my mind, I don't have to think of it - I don't have to think of anything.'
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

If you're interested, AngryPixie, there is a fanfic story in the Cave which attempts to explain the relationship between Quentin and Fanny. "Five Delve into the Past".
https://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/con ... =fivedelve" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
MarkL
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George

Post by MarkL »

Here's the family tree based on "Five Delve into the Past":

Bertie
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers, Famous Five.
Favourite character: Fatty & Buster, George & Timmy.

Post by Bertie »

What's 'Five Delve Into The Past'?

And I'm not great at reading family trees - I can obviously remember the relationships between the characters we're told about in the books. But as they're all surnamed Kirrin in that tree, does that mean that they're all from the same family background? How does it work with the Kirrin land / castle / cottage / farm originally being from Aunt Fanny's family? So she's definitely Kirrin. But if both fathers are Kirrin brothers as well (and at one point the mother is Fanny's sister), then are they all related to the Kirrin ancestry who owned it all or just Aunt Fanny?
Society Member
Hannah

Post by Hannah »

You can find Find Delve into the Past on the society website, Bertie.

@Mark: I once made a family tree too and will look for it to compare, unfortunately it has disappeared :)
I remember that there was one contradiction in the story and l think it is this one:
"Maybe we will," said Julian, "after all the Harold that Harry is writing to, is our great-great-great grandfather, isn't he?" as he counted off the 'greats' on his fingers.
I probably placed Harold like you but this doesn't match.
Society Member