The Three Golliwogs

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: Is this favourite slightly wrong?/The Three Golliwogs

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I was thinking of merging this topic with an existing golliwog thread but there are several in different sections of the forums and some veer off onto other subjects too, so it's a bit complicated and it might be better to search the forums as Julie suggested, Alex. As well as the thread Julie mentioned, there's another one with the title 'Gollies' in Miscellaneous Blyton. Feel free to reply to anything anyone has written, even if it was quite some time ago. Discussions on gollies do sometimes get heated though!

Some threads have since been merged.

As far as The Three Golliwogs is concerned, I loved it as a child and I still think the cover of the 1970s Dean & Son book I read back then is one of the most attractive Dean covers. I remember that my sister and I read the story about the blackberry pie and cream together one day, and we were laughing so much that we literally collapsed on the floor.

I didn't see anything negative about golliwogs. On the contrary, I thought they looked jolly and friendly. When we were about 7 and 8, my sister and I asked for golliwogs as a Christmas present as a direct result of having read about them in Blyton books. And our parents had no reservations about buying them for us (it was the late 1970s).
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Spitfire
Favourite book/series: Most of the stand-alone stories
Favourite character: Snubby & Mr. Twiddle.

Post by Spitfire »

Anita Bensoussane wrote: As far as The Three Golliwogs is concerned, I loved it as a child and I still think the cover of the 1970s Dean & Son book I read back then is one of the most attractive Dean covers. I remember that my sister and I read the story about the blackberry pie and cream together one day, and we were laughing so much that we literally collapsed on the floor.
I 'discovered' and read this book for the very first time just last week, and I love it. It's brilliant Blyton - so simply written but so funny. My favourite is the Mr Tubby story. I didn't quite collapse on the floor, but I couldn't help bursting out laughing every couple of paragraphs! Wish I'd had it as a child.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that the names of the golliwogs were changed - I'm not sure if what I read referred to this book, or another. The names in my 1969 edition are Wiggie, Waggie and Wollie. Does anyone know if these are the original names - and were they changed in a later edition? I've had a quick peek in the Cave of Books, but it doesn't say. :D
Sarah
Society Member

Even before a word is on my tongue, behold, O Lord, you know it altogether. Psalm 139
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

The original names of the Gollies were 'Golly, Woggie and Nigger - so perhaps it's not surprising that the names were changed. In more recent versions of the stories the Golliwogs have become pixies, which i think is a great shame. :(

As a child I loved the stories, having the same 'Dean' version that Anita mentions. I remember drawing the cover large on a piece of A2 paper and colouring it and loving the story where the gollies are all up a tree!

I certainly can't see anything wrong with Golliwogs, and I used to collect the badges from Robertson's marmalade jars.

I loved Golliwogs and owned quite a few. Because of the way they were dressed I always felt they were more important and better-off than my other toys! :lol:
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Spitfire
Favourite book/series: Most of the stand-alone stories
Favourite character: Snubby & Mr. Twiddle.

Post by Spitfire »

Robert Houghton wrote:The original names of the Gollies were 'Golly, Woggie and Nigger - so perhaps it's not surprising that the names were changed. In more recent versions of the stories the Golliwogs have become pixies, which i think is a great shame.
Thanks, Robert. :D I think I must have read that on this website somewhere. The name change is probably one of the few updates made for a good reason! I didn't realise that the Golliwogs had become pixies in recent versions, I just presumed that the stories would not be printed at all. Golliwogs always have so much character and it's a shame how they've been booted out of the toy cupboard. :(
Sarah
Society Member

Even before a word is on my tongue, behold, O Lord, you know it altogether. Psalm 139
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Robert Houghton wrote:I remember drawing the cover large on a piece of A2 paper and colouring it...
I bet it looked great, Robert!
Spitfire wrote:Golliwogs always have so much character and it's a shame how they've been booted out of the toy cupboard. :(
Golliwogs may be out of favour in books, on marmalade jars and in big high street stores, but they appear to be making a come-back. A few years ago there didn't seem to be any gollies anywhere, but over the last six years or so I've seen them for sale in markets, seaside kiosks, gift shops and small toyshops.

Society Member
Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

Our enamel badge maker has had problems this year, so the Ginger Pop golly brooch 2010 is on hold at the moment. However Goliiwogg dolls are doing very well, and this week I've found a new craft maker who is doing a range just for us :D

Viv
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

No sooner said than done!! We actually still have the golliwog picture I drew when I was about 9 or 10, because my dad pasted it to a piece of wooden board which we still use for doing jigsaws on the other side (hense the reason I still have it!)... :shock:

hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

You're quite a talented artist Rob. Thats another nice picture I've seen from you.

As to the book I have sadly never read it and doubt I will as I think it commands quite high prices when the original comes up for sale. I certainly wouldn't want to read the version where the gollies have become pixies. :evil:
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

It makes me wonder (tongue in cheek!) if book dealers have perpetuated the 'no gollies' 'myth' so that they can charge higher prices for books featuring gollies!! :wink:

I'm sure you could get a cheaper copy of the Dean version (which is original except for the names), if you keep your eyes peeled...just a couple of years back I bought a better-condition 'Dean' version to replace my battered copy, for just £2.00 :D

Thanks for the comments on the picture: I always loved drawing as a child...and I still do!! 8)
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

What a great picture, Rob. I'm saving that one and may well print it off! Have you thought of selling it to Viv? She would sell thousands! :D
Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Moonraker wrote:What a great picture, Rob. I'm saving that one and may well print it off! Have you thought of selling it to Viv? She would sell thousands! :D

:lol:

Well: I'm open to offers!!

I was only 9 or 10 at the time: must have been a 'boy genius' :shock: ...wonder what happened since? :lol:
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

An excellent picture, Rob. :D I'm very impressed with your obvious talent.
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

A lovely drawing, Rob! Thanks for posting it.

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Thank you both. :oops:

Now, you know I expect royalties from all those who print it off!! :twisted:

:lol:
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

It's a lovely picture Robert!

My copy of the book is a 2003 Award hardback called Three Bold Pixies called Peri, Patter and Pipkin.

Society Member