The Three Golliwogs

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Yak
Favourite book/series: St Clare's/FFO's.
Favourite character: Fatty/Claudine

Re: The Three Golliwogs

Post by Yak »

GloomyGraham wrote: 21 Mar 2024, 12:14Plenty of black people use that word in conversations with other black people. Just as gay people do with pejorative terms aimed at them by others.
This is true and it's something that I have mixed feelings about. I am a white, straight woman and hence I do not feel that I have the 'right' tell black or gay people what terms they can use to describe themselves and yet it does bother me to see many many white people saying things like 'well they say it so why shouldn't we?'. It's just not the same.

In any case, I could be black for all you know..
I kinda suspect that you are not ;)

Apologies if I messed up the quote tags - I am not good with technology. [Edit: Now sorted!]
http://europeforum.freeforums.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tix

Post by tix »

Thank you Anita for the answer (20240320) plus related facts.

It was interesting to learn the new names which sound vaguely familiar, so they've probably been mentioned somewhere on the site at one time or another.

After perusing the reply a search was conducted whereby a copy of the Dean version was located, and sure enough the first golliwog is named as Wiggie and the second is now Waggie, with the third known as Wollie.

A tiny piece of history has been altered .... but I guess that's the case with many things these days.

I've been a weeny bit critical of Dean books in the past but I reckon their golliwog renditions are as good, if not a fraction better than the originals - and the covers of both works are equally bright and attractive.
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

I have this book somewhere. I think it is a 1970's Dean version.
I will try and dig it out.

I went back to the very beginning of this thread and noticed Tony's (as usual) informative post:
Tony Summerfield wrote: 22 May 2006, 18:34 The PC brigade latched onto this one many years ago, it was one of the first books to be changed. The last edition that featured Golly, Woggie and Nigger was the Dean edition with a dustwrapper published in 1968. When it came out with a laminated cover in 1970 the names had already been changed to Waggie, Wiggie and Wollie (and these are the editions that are mostly offered on ebay). The next edition was the scarce Piccolo paperback in 1973 which also used these names.

The final edition of the book, which had already had its name changed to The Three Gollies was published as No. 18 in Dean's Reward Series in 1987. In 1992 a new No. 18 appeared, The Children at Green Meadows. The book was then rewritten and eventually republished by Award in 1994 with the title Three Bold Pixies.

A potted history of a book which will never be see again - except on ebay!!

Best wishes
Tony
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
GloomyGraham

Post by GloomyGraham »

My edition - bought some 20 years or so go - has the old names. I made sure of that.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

tix wrote: 23 Mar 2024, 05:39I've been a weeny bit critical of Dean books in the past but I reckon their golliwog renditions are as good, if not a fraction better than the originals - and the covers of both works are equally bright and attractive.
The Dean & Son edition of The Three Golliwogs (with altered names) has been part of my life for as long as I can remember. The cover artwork and internal illustrations are by Rene Cloke, who is one of my favourite illustrators. I loved her picture of the yellow cottage with the blue gate so much that I used the colours for inspiration when decorating the bedroom in my old house. It had walls of primrose yellow, with slightly warmer yellows for the curtains and bedding. Many of the picture frames and ornaments were in shades of teal, turquoise and sky blue. It felt very welcoming to go into.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Bertie
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers, Famous Five.
Favourite character: Fatty & Buster, George & Timmy.

Post by Bertie »

That sounds lovely, Anita. :D
Just looked at the illustrations and they're very nice (that phrase always reminds me of the town clerk in Dad's Army!)

I don't think I've ever read the books, though growing up my mum had numerous golly toys and Robertson's golly figurines that I always liked. She still has them, but they're now sadly not on display anymore in case any visitor took offence.
Society Member
Judith Crabb
Favourite book/series: Boys' and Girls' Circus Book/Adventure Series

Post by Judith Crabb »

I suspect that the golliwog image didn't start out as offensive, but became so, a bit like the swastika. What reminded me of this was an article in an old 'Girl's Realm' magazine from December 1899 'Something about Christmas Trees'. It is illustrated from photos of popular toys of the day, including two handsome gollies, Mr and Mrs Golliwog, and the text refers to 'our dear friends, the Golliwogs, looking most delightfully natural', quite the reverse of a derogatory comment.
Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I have original editions/names of this book and Agatha Christie's original title of her book that had several names, ending up as And Then There Were None. I am pleased I have them, as I love the original titles of books, however, these titles had to be changed as they are offensive now.
Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Interesting Nigel.
I have replied to you on the Agatha Christie thread:
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=2775&p=438556#p438556
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Yak

Post by Yak »

Judith Crabb wrote: 29 Mar 2024, 08:32 I suspect that the golliwog image didn't start out as offensive, but became so, a bit like the swastika. What reminded me of this was an article in an old 'Girl's Realm' magazine from December 1899 'Something about Christmas Trees'. It is illustrated from photos of popular toys of the day, including two handsome gollies, Mr and Mrs Golliwog, and the text refers to 'our dear friends, the Golliwogs, looking most delightfully natural', quite the reverse of a derogatory comment.
I am white so I guess maybe I should not be commenting on this (again) but - I have talked to black people about gollies and every single one has said that they find them to be a stereotype of a 'minstrel' or worse. I know it might not be thought of as offensive by many (white) people who owned or own them and they might not mean any harm by such ownership but - there are a lot of people out there who find gollies very hurtful.
http://europeforum.freeforums.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Yak wrote: 02 Apr 2024, 02:44 I am white so I guess maybe I should not be commenting on this (again) but - I have talked to black people about gollies and every single one has said that they find them to be a stereotype of a 'minstrel' or worse. I know it might not be thought of as offensive by many (white) people who owned or own them and they might not mean any harm by such ownership but - there are a lot of people out there who find gollies very hurtful.
I know Viv of Ginger Pop (who happily points herself out as "brown-skinned") has said that when she used to sell golliwogs at the Ginger Pop Shop in Dorset, she had black customers who loved them, and for the video she made a few years ago on the history of golliwogs, she interviewed at least one older black campaigner who proudly saw them as a positive symbol. So opinions out there are really quite diverse and it's not an easy matter of "it is" or "it isn't" offensive; like so many things, it depends on who you ask.

I'm guessing that for older white people who grew up in an era when you rarely saw a darker-skinned person in Britain, the golliwog was just another lovable and harmless toy in the nursery, whereas for black people in this country who've experienced racial prejudice, golliwogs are easily seen as just another despicable example of whites stereotyping and denigrating blacks, even though the history of them is much more complex than that and in many ways surprisingly positive.

Here's Viv's video, which she's shared in EBS discussions before, so hopefully she won't mind me linking to it again — it's well worth watching.
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

Courtenay wrote: 02 Apr 2024, 08:48 I know Viv of Ginger Pop (who happily points herself out as "brown-skinned") has said that when she used to sell golliwogs at the Ginger Pop Shop in Dorset, she had black customers who loved them

Here's Viv's video, which she's shared in EBS discussions before, so hopefully she won't mind me linking to it again — it's well worth watching.
... except when I get so exasperated that I describe myself as off-white. :evil: But on a daily basis, I no more think of my skin colour than my height :roll:

There was a little girl who was in floods of tears beside the Golliwogg display at Poole. Her black-skinned mum explained the problem; she really wanted the most expensive one on display, and nothing else would do.

In fact black-skinned people were my highest spending customers for gollies.

Allowing the narrative that "of course gollies are racist", rather than they are the good guys and excellent role-models, has been a real own-goal for anti-racists.

There are more videos from the Ginger Pop Shop website
http://www.gingerpop.co.uk/
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017
Yak

Post by Yak »

I'll probably bow out of this one now because I don't think it's something that everyone will ever agree on but thanks for talking with me, all :)
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Yak wrote: 03 Apr 2024, 01:25 I'll probably bow out of this one now because I don't think it's something that everyone will ever agree on but thanks for talking with me, all :)
I don't think we need to stop talking about a subject simply because we don't all agree on it (and probably never will). One thing that saddens me a lot is that within my lifetime (I was born in the early 1980s), mainly within the last decade or so, so much of our society seems to have forgotten that it's possible to disagree with others' opinions and yet understand why they take that view and even respect them for it — without either side finding it necessary to enforce their own views and silence anyone who doesn't agree. I see that happening on both sides of politics and it is quite disturbing at times.

As a somewhat milder example — I hope Viv won't mind me bringing her into this again, but I recall reading somewhere, probably on the previous version of her website, that when she ran the Ginger Pop Shop, her policy was not to sell any pirate-themed books or toys or games, because to her, these things are glorifying criminality. (I hope I have that right, Viv, and my apologies if I'm mischaracterising your views at all.)

Now I personally disagree with that view. I grew up absolutely loving the pop culture version of pirates (Captain Pugwash, pirate-themed Lego, G&S's The Pirates of Penzance, various computer games, and even writing pirate stories about our dog after she had an eye surgically removed! :wink: ) — and none of this resulted in me believing that piracy in real life is OK. I could tell the difference between fantasy and reality from pretty early on in my life, and I understood very well that while the fantasy versions of pirates might be fun and exciting, real-life pirates were and are dangerous criminals and not heroic or romantic at all.

But guess what? Although I don't agree with Viv's opinion on pirates, I can understand why someone would think that way, and I totally respect that stance and respect her as a person for coming to her own conclusions about it. If her shop (when it existed) didn't sell pirate-themed goods, well, there are plenty of other places that do. There's no way I would try to argue the shopkeeper, let alone force her, into stocking something that conflicts with her personal standards or beliefs.

And as far as I've seen, in turn, nobody's started a serious campaign to ban all pirate-themed goods on the grounds that they're a corrupting influence on society. That, too, would be unfair. But what if that idea took root big-time and people like me, and so many others, were informed that our love of the pop-culture version of pirates makes us accessories to crime, that it means we obviously have no moral compass whatsoever — and anyone selling or displaying pirate-themed books or movies or toys or games should be apprehended and fined and publicly disgraced and made to cease and desist?

Obviously that's an absurd scenario, to most of us at least. So why is it so very different with golliwogs, which until the late 20th century were mostly viewed in Britain as a harmless and wholesome and fun toy for children?

Now I can also understand why some people view golliwogs as offensive and racist. They do look a lot like some of the nastier caricatures of black people that used to be common in 19th and 20th century (majority white) society. And if somebody decided to display a golliwog with a noose around its neck, or use gollies in other ways that were clearly part of a white supremacist campaign — and there are people and groups who've done that, sadly — well, that would be racist any way you slice it. But the people who do those things would be racists whether or not golliwogs existed.

And meanwhile, the vast majority of white people who grew up playing with and loving golliwogs — including me, and my mum, and probably millions of other British and Commonwealth citizens over the age of 35 or so — would most likely say that having this particular toy didn't teach us that dark-skinned people are ugly or stupid or dangerous and shouldn't be respected as our equals in society. Quite the opposite, in fact. (Viv's documentary on golliwogs points out something I didn't know before I watched it — that Hitler, in Nazi Germany, banned golliwogs and other dark-skinned toys precisely because they might encourage "Aryan" children to believe that these inferior races were their equals.)

To be fair, I as a very light-skinned person, in a society where the majority are light-skinned, have never experienced racism myself in any meaningful way. I'm not in a position to go around telling people of ethnic minorities ("whitesplaining" is the popular term) what "is" or "isn't" racist. But the facts are that some black people see golliwogs as offensive; some black people see them as positive, or at least harmless. ("Blacks", or "Asians", or any other ethnic or social group for that matter, aren't a hive mind, any more than "whites" are.)

And deeper research, like what Viv has done with her videos, shows that the whole history of this now-vilified toy is a lot more nuanced, and a heck of a lot more positive, than many of us would ever have guessed. And it's just a shame that the way much of society is at present, we can't hold a reasonable and respectful conversation about this and allow people to come to their own conclusions about golliwogs. When I was little, the general view was essentially: if you find them offensive, don't buy them, or don't stock them as a shop owner. Now, it's more like: THIS IS UNQUESTIONABLY RACIST AND EVIL AND THEREFORE ANYONE WHO IS NOT OFFENDED BY GOLLIWOGS MUST ALSO BE A RACIST AND A BIGOT AND MUST IMMEDIATELY BE SILENCED.

And I just think it's sad and disturbing that, at present, these polarising and divisive attitudes in this and other areas ("we're right, you're wrong, so that's that") seem to be so rife that we can't talk any more. :(
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Excellent post Courtenay.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member