The Three Golliwogs

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: The Three Golliwogs

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I've seen golliwogs for sale in recent years too, in shops and markets in North Wales, Kent and Essex.

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Yes, there are always loads of golliwogs for sale in both Broadway and Bourton-on-the-water in the Cotswolds.

Went to Broadway today, and saw mugs, ornaments, pens, key rings, even a little house with a family of golliwogs living in it!

I'm really pleased the golliwog is making a comeback. About time. 8)
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Kate Mary
Favourite book/series: The Treasure Hunters/ Five Find Outers
Favourite character: Barney

Post by Kate Mary »

Earlier this year I bought a Golliwog mug and a keyring in Beaumaris, North Wales and recently in Wells-next-the-Sea I bought a Golliwog doll.

Long live Gollies! A minor bastion against political correctness.

Kate.
tix

Post by tix »

A few days ago I had another look at the board and was more than surprised to see that The Three Golliwogs had extended to about six pages! I had thought it would have run out of steam ages ago and relegated to “Off Topic” or even “Closed/Removed Topics” (the latter section at least). As it hasn’t, I can write a few replies (although it means another long entry but you have yourselves to blame for that) and I’m glad because when people go to the trouble of commenting, the least that can be done is to acknowledge their efforts. I think Tamas must have wondered what on earth she had started but she boxed on and I noticed she had made the last entry (when I looked). I must say it would have been better if the passion raised was directed on behalf of Enid Blyon but it seems that the direction was altered after I had come in to defend the words that have often been condemned in some of the author’s books.

I’ll try to address those entries which I think need some kind of an answer. Obviously they all don’t and furthermore if I did answer the lot then this message might turn out to be even longer than a previous post I made - and it might well be. Another thing is that’s it’s difficult to answer those which, instead of providing constructive argument, descend into some elements of personal abuse. I mentioned that you can say anything you like to me because it is therapeutic to get things off your chest. Some experiences from the past can keep on rising to the surface when they are stimulated and in the absence of the original person or persons who created the hang-up, what better to do than to castigate the modern equivalent – i.e.: Me? Another reason I don’t mind is, as I have already said, I will not be someone’s puppet. I could really see the strings flying all over the place in some of the postings and the thing that surprised me was yet another of those coincidences that plague. A couple of days after I had written about people becoming puppets when they react to something that is almost always misinterpreted, the idea was fulfilled even down to the surging into the market place and the pillaring of someone whose words or statements had been taken the wrong way. You’d almost think I’d engineered it wouldn’t you? I’ve always understood that it is far more important to simply read what someone says and if you disagree then you can put forward a proposition. If there is negative response, I don’t mind but what I don’t like to see is aggressive action taken against other members of this forum who may be affected by it and I refer you to at least one who found it a little difficult to defend herself (I believe there are more but my memory’s not all that good). She was reduced to self-banishment but she’s now back and good on her.

Tamas has shown that despite my fairly forceful (I would agree with that) defense on the author’s behalf, she has remained cool and unaffected and has not emulated in any way the baser techniques of making a point. The reason I had a feeling that some of the message-posters were in the less-elderly vein is that I have come across forums which are generally contributed to by younger members of society. Reading down some of the messages on those boards I found that oftentimes the way of arguing is simply to insult and degrade. The notes fly back and forth and I got the impression that this is how the posters feel they should express themselves i.e. If you haven’t the ability to back up something you have stated (which could be on very weak ground in the first place) then simply hurl abuse and derogatory words at the opposition. In a way you can’t blame young people (and many old as well I suppose) for engaging in this type of warfare because everyone loves a good fight and in this age it’s possible to sit at the computer and gather ammunition in the form of like-sympathizers who might be not only scattered around the country but also throughout the world. Once they have chosen their target the individual can then be seized upon to berate, harass and destroy. I don’t think that’s acceptable on our forum …... or is it?

I will refer to another issue and I address it because this little section of board right here is my own personal space so I can say anything I like. One or two members have made it very clear that there is still a considerable degree of effect from past experiences.

In the sixties, thousands of Vietnamese people were persecuted. They were ousted from their homes, tortured, abused, dragged on the ground behind vehicles, spat upon and, no doubt, there were many who were the victims of hate-messages thrust upon them. Despite this treatment, they were able to pursue new lives in a state of adjustment and industry in other countries. They had managed to put the distressing incidents they had experienced to rest. I have to produce an “Out” here: Maybe the Vietnamese are capable of ousting trauma and maybe we aren’t! There are also some people (not necessarily on this forum of course) who seem to retain past grievances as a matter of course because the hidden emotions can supply a rush of adrenalin that can be called upon for “Oomph” whenever it is needed in an argument.

There is a statement that has been re-interpreted from that polemicist who went under the name of Voltaire and I think it applies: “I disagree with what you say but will defend to the death your right to say it.”

[manzanita]: “I don't agree with the "words don't hurt" thought though. A word may not be able to break my skin and make me bleed, but words do hurt.”

My required answer to that would not satisfy you. I will say that “word-association” can hurt you but only as much as you let it. Actually, an analysis of exactly what the “hurt” is might be helpful.

[Robert Houghton]: Bullying has made me a stronger person, but at what cost? I'm often quite blunt now.

Why do you mind “me” being blunt? Has the red-mist turned to blind fury?

[Robert Houghton]: “Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but just because you use five thousand-odd words to say it doesnt mean it's right.”

I like the first part of that sentence. Anything I write is “offered” and that’s all. I would never say it’s “Right” and I have never done so. Did I really produce five-thousand odd words? You must forgive me for that. Some people create a record for the number of posts they make and then they get praised for it; I wanted to create one for the “longest” post and be praised accordingly!

[Robert Houghton]: “Tiq suggests befriending the antagonists. How would this have helped?”

I “have” befriended antagonists and it has helped immensely because I gained friends and lost enemies.

[Robert Houghton]: “I found your comments about Julian rather insulting too. people from Arab countries can read ….”

As regards your referral to Arabs, I say again they have a weird way of writing (to me and probably to you although you don’t seem capable of admitting it). All cultures have their idiosyncrasies. Americans have a funny way of driving (to us) – on the wrong side of the road! Men in some cultures wear what look like dresses. That’s weird to us (or at least to me). I’ll get closer to home: British are weird/funny/curious/odd (not to us of course) with their stiff upper-lips and bowler hats. Like most societies they don’t mind others laughing at them in fact the British can probably laugh at themselves more than any other culture in the world. Regarding Arabic writing, Anita Bensoussane’s comment made it even odder when she informed me that they read backwards and I had always thought only the Chinese did that. I can see nothing wrong with it but it’s “funny” to me. (You can also re-read my last post and reacquaint yourself with my thoughts). Another thing too, I still haven’t learnt what all the palaver is about the demand for paragraphs and if I don’t find out soon I might start shouting. I’m hesitant to do that though because it would mean writing in capitals and that’s frowned upon. Personally (my opinion, my opinion, my opinion – note that) I can’t see anything wrong at all if forumites write in capitals but that’s the way it seems to be. My previous posts were written in paragraphs but my way of doing it didn’t seem acceptable so Arabs must have a funny paragraph layout, and as I always try to oblige, I have to turn to people with superior knowledge. If the Arab members can’t tell me it’ll be up to Moonraker to step in!

[We are getting far, far too sensitive in this country where race is concerned. I am sure if Shilpa felt she was at the receiving end of racist comments/bullying, she could say so in the Diary Room. The day fast approaches when we won't be able to say "boo" to a goose for fear of causing offence. God help us when people in a programme such as Big Brother can only speak in PC terms] There speaks a wise man!

[Robert Houghton]: “As for the bullying issue: nothing makes my hackles rise more than seeing someone being bullied, as I said previously, and I felt you, Tiq, were bullying manzanita by suggesting they were somehow at fault and 'deserved' the bullying by the way they reacted. No one ever deserves to be bullied. Ever.” ('Oh voice of Spring of Youth hearts mad delight, Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone I'll warm me with your echoes, through the night.')

I would “love” you to get back and show me where I have suggested that a target of bullying was “somehow at fault and deserved the bullying.” Please do because I would address it immediately despite the fact that it would extend this very tangential post but, then again, members are not forced to read it.

[Anita Bensoussane]: “I don't know anything about paragraphs in Arabic and I can't read or write the language”

Always cool, calm and collected.

[DarrellRivers]: “I found your comments about Julian rather insulting too. people from Arab countries can read and write english, you know, often better than people from so-called English …… Your comments came across as extremely bigoted, and again, ill-informed.” (It was quite easy to read Darrell. She never hid anything and she said what she thought, though not so bluntly as Alicia did. A nice, straightforward, trustable girl.)

If my comments came across as you state, then that is exactly how you interpreted them. I think you will spot in at least one of my posts that your findings are not valid. Thanks very much for your points though because I’m sure they would be of attraction and interest to many of our members and please feel free to get back with a little more substance. I wonder how much effort it would take to befriend you. I’ll start by offering you my good wishes.

[Viv of Ginger Pop]: “How is an 11 year girl old supposed to react to 13 years old boys leaving notes that say "ENOCH POWELL" in her school desk? I had barely heard of the politician; it was all above my head but I knew it was unpleasant.”

I honestly couldn’t understand parts of the post. If you’d never heard of the politician and it was all above your head, how could it be unpleasant enough to cause everlasting trauma? The tone suggests that unpleasant experiences have followed you through the years and kept surfacing with nothing being done to address them. Thousands of horrid things happen to us throughout school life and thousands of children are bullied and I think I should clarify myself here: When I made a statement about schools and bullying and all that stuff, I had presumed that everyone would understand what I meant when they took in the gist of it. I was obviously wrong in that respect. I was talking in “Conceptual” terms … “Conceptual language.” Think “Concept!” It would be utterly absurd to introduce some law or idea into a school curriculum and then expect it to take effect immediately. That would be like digging out your Meccano or Leggo set and trying to build the Brooklyn Bridge. Foundations have to be put into place and time has to be taken into account. Here is a particular instance which is one of many: Throughout the world it is becoming apparent that you should not hit anyone - let alone children. Finally the politician are coming to terms with this, albeit slowly and addressing it in law. Where it has come into being, a curious thing occurs. A few weeks into the new edict there is a major case of child abuse. The cry comes forth: “There you are. Your stupid law isn’t working!” “What a senseless exercise … the legislation should never have been passed in the first place. We want to hit our children!” – or words to that effect. That’s crazy! It takes maybe a generation or two or even three before change is observed. Doesn’t it? You can’t introduce some idea and then expect all bullying and connected abuse to cease hence and forthwith. See that - I have placed a proposal in a public area and there are two ways of looking at it:

1. I’ll take it on board and have a think about it, or
2: What a buncha “TAT!”

I honestly don’t mind either way. In this case to become your friend I will need to enter your shop (in disguise of course). You will welcome me and show me your wares. I may even buy a golliwog because I haven’t got one yet. I have bears and gorillas and dolls and mannequins and a ginger cat and a duck which says something if you pull the string and a wooden mouse on wheels, but no golliwog. When you find out that I am the one who made this post will your friendship turn to dislike as quickly as the wind changes?

[manzanita]: “In an ideal world yes, but with my bullies, making friends with them was out of the question - they would not have accepted me and ignoring them just increased the bullying ; I disagree with Enid's suggestion of dealing with this and I'll say that she is very naive in thinking this will work.”

So say you and I’m in no position at all to contradict. If you believe something then it is true unless, of course, you change your stance but you don’t have to go along with me on that? I’ll give you a small and trivial example similar to the Alma Pudden one that I put forward. A boy I looked after believed that Arsenal was the tops in football expertise. He supported them avidly until one Saturday when they lost to Manchester United. He then changed his “belief” and declared from then on that he supported the latter team because they were the best there was and no one could defeat them. See, he changed his belief! Now, looking at that in an analytical way and using not all that much brain-power you can expand on exactly what happened in that instance and something could be learnt. It’s marvelous that we are still discussing Alma Pudden sixty or so years after she first appeared isn’t it? My reference to her was in line with simple factors but they need to be “expanded.” It takes a little filling-out which brings it from being just an axiom into an idea that can be worked upon. I will give you another example so that you can be equally furious and condemning about Enid Blyton: Elsie was a rather nasty girl at St Clare’s who was a little addicted to listening through key-holes. Here’s Enid Blyton’s take on it: “Elsie forgot that those who listen behind doors seldom hear any good of themselves.” Try expanding that philosophical gem or take it with a grain of salt if you want to because I’m certainly not going to twist your arm and force a particular attitude. Incidentally it’s not a “fault” to be plump it’s simply a matter of stating things as they are in the “Here and Now” and many people do just that. It’s very common when battling the “stammering” affliction. On the first introduction an admission is made and right from the start the impediment is accepted meaning there is no requirement to keep trying to hide the fact which can result in confusion and a greater degree of incapacitation. The technique can be extremely helpful.

Thanks for your comments and I hope that you don’t mind my reply. You’ve expressed yourself and I’ve expressed myself and now we are friends for the reason that people who dislike each other rarely communicate but you have talked to me through your post. (On the other hand, maybe you were talking to everyone else but me!)

[lizarfau]: “ ….. those cops investigating the disappearance of Madeleine McCann would do better if they read the Five Find-Outer books and disguised themselves Fatty-like to solve the mystery.”

Thank you for your welcome addition to the fracas. I think you will find your comments answered somewhere above. With the greatest of respect to you I found the “Five Find-Outer” example irrelevant. I was speaking about “Ideas” and not “Actions

[Robert Houghton]: “hear, hear! The bullying episodes in the school books, particularly regarding Alma Pudden, just go towards demonstrating just how little Enid knew about being bullied …..”

I wasn’t sure how to answer this because, once again, fired-up emotion has taken over. I’ve never proposed that one should refer to a person’s physical attributes or wealth or ethnic state as being a “fault.” You seem to suggest that it is but maybe I have got you wrong. Perhaps you could go back to my above statements concerning this and read them again with the word “Analysis” predominant in your mind. Once more, thanks for posting your thoughts. Gosh, I sound angry but I can assure you I’m not. It’s just that pressing points home can often make one “seem” angry!

[RDMorrell]: “Seeing as the topic now seems to be completely devoted to bullying, please allow me to recommend this site:”

A saner and more detached angle has now been introduced into the bickering that is going on between me and my detractors and it’s from a more recent member. I’ll read through his words and take a breather before returning to the fight.

A good point to note is the one about victims always seeming to get the blame. To relate that to some of the posts above it would appear that I support the idea and if that is so, you must show me where. The point RD Morell has offered caters very nicely to the idea of education during the early stages of life. There’s no panacea of course because some people by their very attitude and actions can attract bullying more than the rest. That’s in no way “blaming a victim,” it’s simply stating things as they are at a particular time and place. People are who they are and whereas a beautiful girl might attract numerous positive comments, a perceived ugly one might attract jeers and related bullying. Now that’s not to say an attractive girl won’t be bullied. She might well be due to position and wealth. Her peers mightn’t bully her but those less fortunate could well do. Everything is interchangeable and any trend can be completely reversed. As suggested, a little education into whys and wherefores may (I said “may”) help and that applies as much to kids with a bullying tendency coming to the fore as well as the timid child who is terribly unsure of himself.

[RDMorrell]: “Although I believe that bullying is the bully's fault, this doesn't mean that the target/victim has to be helpless. You can't control a bully's actions, but you can control your own actions or reactions. I used to react quite badly to the bullying I got at school, and I think it probably exacerbated the situation.”

R.D. makes a strong point.

[RDMorrell]: “I have actually discovered that the best way to deal with emotional bullying is to call the bully's bluff. E.g. in response to a threat like "I'll never talk to you again if you don't do this," say something like "I'm sorry you feel like this, but if you want to go that route, fine." One time, when the woman said in a flash of temper that she hated me and never wanted to talk to me again, I coolly said "OK, catch you tomorrow then." She calmed down instantly. Much of the time, emotional blackmail really is a bluff”

R.D. passes on even more sense.

[RDMorrell]: “I also think that you can do something about it if you have the right knowledge and can learn the right skills.”

The man’s a genius!

[Anita Bensoussane]: “Just in case Moonraker is busy there's some information on that here”

Many thanks for the info and for going to the trouble of supplying a link. Unfortunately it led me back to Google for some reason or other – probably my lack of computer skills. However, you have supplied enough in your post. I just wasn’t sure of the category/derivative. Thank you again.

[Robert Houghton]: “ …some good comments, and thanks for the support from those who gave it.”

That’s all right young sir. I’m glad I managed to educate you - or perhaps your remark pertains to everyone else except me. I’d rather you didn’t keep misunderstanding what I state and then condemn me for it. Nowhere have I proposed that (in your words) “we shouldnt answer posts until we have thought about it and aquired a 'cool head” I thought I simply stated that “A cool head is always wiser.” I could also say: “Act in haste, repent at leisure” …. there are many such references around. When you have absorbed all the points in this vast post, perhaps Osborne’s “Look Back in Anger” need not apply any more. Remember The Angry Young Man?

[Robert Houghton]: “I wish everything had been as simple and clear cut as Tiq sees things. How beautiful the world would be then!”

I absolutely concur. See that, we have our first agreement! I could well be on the way to gaining a friend!

[Robert Houghton]: “I am also a fan of plain speaking, Tiq, as you can probably tell. But plain speaking all depends on one's own knowledge of a subject. Sometimes that knowledge is from theory rather than practise.”

Theory is not knowledge. Theory is Theory and Knowledge is Knowledge. My comments embrace both and I would welcome your perceptive analysis of every line I write. Please feel free to draw out anything you feel is dubious (as I have done to one or more of your points about me) and present them. I will either congratulate you and change perspective or defend myself.

As I have already said about certain posts that you have made – it’s very difficult to argue when emotion gets in the way of solid facts. I could, but then I’d be criticised by those who dislike long posts. What I can state is that when next I am walking beside the River of Adventure and see you drowning I will be the first to jump in and rescue you. If you see who it is you might refuse my help but that’s all right I’ll leave it to someone else because I’m very flexible in these matters. You never know, I might gain me another pal. Thanks for your posts and please try to take my comments in a friendly atmosphere. If any of them grate, there will be a reason for it.

[Robert Houghton]: “By the way, I'm 36 - which I suppose IS 'rather young' - thank you!”

Happy Birthday!

[Robert Houghton]: “Anyway, to get back on topic ………..”

Yes. Yes. Yes!

[Kitty]: “I loathe the resolution to the Alma Pudden plot.”

Enid Blyton’s suggestion was fashioned from a very rudimentary life precept. I don’t need to comment any more on that because I think it’s been covered sufficiently in earlier posts.

[Kitty]: “Intimidating behaviour needs to be confronted, with the help of staff …”

I think you’re right there - “Staff,” in the early stages of life. Thanks for your addition to the board. It means that we are all communicating … even those whom others think should not be allowed the privilege.

[manzanita]: “I wasn't going to post again on this subject as this is supposed to be about golliwogs ….”

Right on!

[Susie]: “There is always something else new to learn.”

Right on!

[DarrellRivers]: “With all due respect tiq, I do think that your posts on this thread come across as a bit condescending and high-handed. And, older is not always wiser.”

Sorry Teacher - I bow to your superiority. Mind you, I wish I was as “Superior” as you - in fact I think we all would and as far as I know “High-handed” means an expectation that you will be obeyed. Now that would be nice although I think I’d rather be Superior because then I would definitely be obeyed. Thank you for your due respect and I offer all due respect back to you and I would be truly sorry if my answer lacks respect because I would not countenance it. I had to adopt plain speaking as is the wont of another member. Incidentally, I can’t recall ever stating or even believing, that “Older is Wiser!”

If anyone else wants to disagree or even attack me again then they are free to do so and I will not put them down because I believe that everyone should be allowed to express themselves in whatever way they feel. I will answer in a manner which is as friendly as I can be and if you think there is any point in my posts where you think I have not been reasonably friendly then I welcome your input. I might question contributors’ statements but that’s because this is a to-and-fro medium. I would now like a box of chocolates sent to me if I’ve broken the record!
Kitty
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers/Malory Towers
Favourite character: Alicia, Fatty, Gwendoline

Post by Kitty »

Hi Tiq! I will read your whole post properly when I've got a little more time on my hands - but just to respond to the point you made specifically to me - I think there's always a need, in an educational or professional setting, for the staff, or the HR department, to have a clear policy on bullying/intimidatory behaviour. Unfortunately even the best life-skills, inculcated from childhood, won't always be enough. Actually, in my experience companies are bending over backwards now to have these mechanisms in place - though this is rather more due to the expensive nature of successful tribunals, than newfound Blytonian beliefs in fair play!

We may happily agree to disagree on the Pudden!Problem. Anything Alma comes as light relief after a rather recent draining debate about French feminists and Oedipus Rex (it's a laugh a minute round my way at the moment! ;) )
Gwendoline lay down, angry. She determined to make herself miserable and cry.
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

It just seems to prove to me that some people's opinions always count and others opinions don't! :?

I was saddened to see, Tiq, that you felt many of our comments were trite enough to be placed into the 'removed topics' section of the site, when those that posted them obviously felt they were making important and thought-provoking contributions, just as did you.

I respect everyone's opinions, in fact, Tiq: even yours, :wink: but it is the way some of the comments are made rather than what is actually said, that provokes a certain kind of reaction to what has been said.

I have been involved with education in one way or another for a very long time,both as pupil and teacher, and I can very easily tell when someone is being 'teacherly' or preaching, as you so often seem to be doing to us 'lesser mortals'. Of course, on the other hand I realise that sometimes words can come across as 'high-handed' whether they were meant to be or not, just as many of my posts came across as 'angry' when they were not. That's the trouble with this faceless way of communicating; it is very impersonal.

Thank goodness I was able to move on from my bullying days. Some people have hung themselves or been killed by the bullies instead. Sometimes the feelings I had then do resurface, usually when the subject comes up and seems to be treated as being trivial. Then I admit, I do see the red mist. I think many past experiences have this cause and effect, or else what would be the use of them? We are, after all, meant to learn by our experiences.

I learned from the bullying episodes of my childhood, and in the end they made me a stronger and more just person, I hope: probably stronger in many ways than those who did the bullying. In some ways I'm glad I had the expirience: it helped me to grow and to mature, but that doesnt mean it was right, of course.

I take all of your comments on board,Tiq, digest them, and then make up my own mind. Thank you for your replies.

I realise that sometimes, however, 'no comment' is better than an endless argument with no resolution! :wink:
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
tix

Post by tix »

[Kitty]: I will read your whole post properly when I've got a little more time on my hands.

Thank you Kitty for your bright reply.

(Poor Alma. If only she’d known how famous she would become)

[Robert Houghton]: It just seems to prove to me that some people's opinions always count and others opinions don't!

Thanks for your very kind and very dignified reply and I mean it just as I meant that I would be the first to jump into the river to save you.

[Robert Houghton]:That's the trouble with this faceless way of communicating; it is very impersonal.

Too right it is but then again the printed word allows us to say what we like without fear of intimidation by an imposing physical presence. When I think of it, in real life you might be a Prince. I don’t know if you are or not because how do I know whether Princes don’t do a bit of teaching on the side. Think how inhibited you or I might be if one of us knew we were communicating with a Royal! This way we are all equals.

[Robert Houghton]:I was saddened to see, Tiq, that you felt many of our comments were trite enough to be placed into the 'removed topics' section of the site, when those that posted them obviously felt they were making important and thought-provoking contributions, just as did you.

The reason I wondered why the latter part of the post wasn’t sent to the Removed Topics section was only that the subject-matter had gone completely Off Topic and had deviated into a fighting-style format. Also, I wondered whether the retaining of posts was expensive for the Enid Blyton Society which I think pays for this message-board.

Still, you’re right. There are comments that might be of interest and forum-members have taken the time and trouble to post them so why shouldn’t they be preserved and I certainly don’t think of them as trite! Recently I purchased a tiny little gizmo called a USB Something-or-Other. It’s about the size of two fingernails and I have so far put a few be hundred photos and pages on it. If that little gadget can hold such an amount of digital matter then I think the messages on the web-pages could be quite cheap as far as expense goes.

[Robert Houghton]:Thank goodness I was able to move on from my bullying days.

That’s Good News because I had gained the impression that you were still being haunted. I believe in the healing power of time because I‘ve found it works very well.

[Robert Houghton]:I learned from the bullying episodes of my childhood, and in the end they made me a stronger and more just person, I hope: probably stronger in many ways than those who did the bullying.

That makes a heck of a lot of sense to me.

[Robert Houghton]: I take all of your comments on board ….

I’ve done the same in your respect - in fact I have re-read them because I believe an overview is very important.

Good wishes to you.

(I hope that Tam doesn’t mind my spelling her name as Tamas!)
Lenoir
Favourite book/series: FFO/FF. Five run away together, Most FFO books.
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Lenoir »

I don’t remember seeing golliwogs in the shops here in SA. I wouldn’t expect to see them either. Anyway, this topic has raised my interest in them and I was very surprised to come across two gollys in a souvenir shop of all places - a shop selling local wares and things that trippers like to buy. They were made locally and here’s a photo of one of them:

Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

Heh, that's a nice picture. Long live the golly! :D

Society Member
Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

I took delivery of a gross of gorgeous gollies today - and they are selling like hot cakes!

The small one is about the same size and with about the same amount of work in it as a Noddy Bean Toy. The former retails at £2.99 and the latter at £6.99 - which shows how much you pay for a licenced product. :shock:

Viv
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017
Jen-Jen
Favourite book/series: The Boy Next Door
Favourite character: Fatty, George, Barney and Darrell

Post by Jen-Jen »

I had a birthday the other day, and my mum gave me a golliwog! :D (I've always wanted one and recently she found a market that sells them and so bought me one) I'll take his photo later and post it up for you all.
He now sits happily on my bed and is a fabulous addition to my family of teddy bears and dolls.
"I should think that if it came to pushing, Eunice might send old Fatty flying" - Larry The Mystery of the Missing Man
Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

My current best seller is the Ginger Pop Shop Golliwog badge, with golly holding a glass of ginger beer - I was wearing one at Blyton Day. I had just 300 made, but am thinking about the next order already! Each batch can be made with different colour clothing, so they are different limited editions :lol:

best wishes

Viv
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017
AlexStories

The Three Golliwogs

Post by AlexStories »

Okay, so we all know that the 'golliwogs' have been heavily criticised for alleged 'racist' reasons.

I have to say though that probably my favourite book of all was 'the three golliwogs'. Who else loved this book, and did you really think anything negative about her use of these charcaters, be it in that book or others? Because I didn't, and I don't really think she meant to suggest any difference at all

I'm really annoyed that now those characters have been limited in their marketing, and think it's a real shame that someone's negative idea developed and developed :(

Just posting this as a chance to discuss really
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Re: Is this favourite slightly wrong?

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

We all know what you mean, Alex. There is a posting on 'Gollywogs', in the section of books, which you may be interested in reading. Sorry, but I don't know how to put in the link. It's in books, page 2 somewhere. Have fun exploring.

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
AlexStories

Re: Is this favourite slightly wrong?

Post by AlexStories »

Okay, thanks. :) I was wondering whether there was x